C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can you tell if your power steering control valve is bad??? PIC

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 PM
ChocDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How can you tell if your power steering control valve is bad??? PIC

Here's a shot of my valve. How do I know if I should rebuild it or not? Thanks!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Thmprr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't see any real area of concern other than the hose clamp on the return line and minor leak stain on one of the ram lines. Have you ever driven it?
However if it is a project car, it wouldn't hurt to rebuild it as an insurance.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I would rebuild it...there is just a few seals to replace.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 PM
ChocDog
Instructor

That's exactly the problem, I haven't driven the car. Bought it as a project begun but not finished. The PO said (and I can see) that the suspension was all updated but that he hadn't done anything to the stearing, which seemed to work fine. The car has 90K miles so it may be time to redo.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cross that bridge when you come to it.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 AM
ChocDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by tigers123
Cross that bridge when you come to it.
That's what my mechanic bro-in-law says too. Since the stearing isn't hard to get to, he says to wait and see. I go back to "the U" part time on the 23rd of June and full time in August. Since this is my last year, I'll be pretty busy with clinics, etc. and was hoping to really jam and get as much done as possible right now. Doing the stearing would add another thing to do, but I'd only be doing it once.

I guess maybe I should have asked how hard it is to rebuild and how long it would take to do it.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:23 AM
79VAVette
Racer

I guess maybe I should have asked how hard it is to rebuild and how long it would take to do it. [/QUOTE]

About 2 hours and $20. Get Jim Shea's papers:

http://wiki.corvettefaq.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I would change the hoses too, around $55.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:56 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 79VAVette
I guess maybe I should have asked how hard it is to rebuild and how long it would take to do it.
About 2 hours and $20. Get Jim Shea's papers:

http://wiki.corvettefaq.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I would change the hoses too, around $55.[/QUOTE]

I tried the link and it does not work. I know that I have been out to the corvettefaq site before but even my book mark does not work. Is that site still available or is it just down for now.

How many have rebuilt their PS valves? Do the rebuild kits come with all the vital parts needed?

Don't want to highjack ChocDog but this is related and may help. Some of you may have read that I can no longer turn my steering to the right. I have verified that nothing is hanging in the suspension, blown out all the hoses, replaced the steering cylinder and the steering still want turn to the right with the cylinder hooked to the frame. If you disconnect the cylinder then the steering is free lock to lock. The only thing I have not replaced\rebuilt is the valve itself.

Thanks
Wade
Old 06-10-2008, 09:44 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackRat
.....I can no longer turn my steering to the right. I have verified that nothing is hanging in the suspension, blown out all the hoses, replaced the steering cylinder and the steering still want turn to the right with the cylinder hooked to the frame. If you disconnect the cylinder then the steering is free lock to lock.
Wade - have you balanced the control valve? The procedure is in the shop manual. You basically pop the dust cover off and turn the nut until the valve neither pushes nor pulls the steering. It's pretty simple but sometimes overlooked.

One dude that was trying to sell a 79 was having trouble with the steering pulling, and a shop quoted him $100 to fix it. I was interested in buying the car (but didn't) and fixed it for him in my garage after a few minutes by balancing the valve.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 AM
wjsullivan
Pro

I can't tell anything from the picture. Rebuilding it is very easy and relatively cheap.

First check the fluid levels and clean off the cylinder, hoses and valve. Then drive the car and see if you have any leaks. If it leaks, rebuild it and replace the hoses.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

Mine is leaking badly.

Thanks for the Jim Shea paper site. I was looking for them.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
kapla74
Racer

[QUOTE=One dude that was trying to sell a 79 was having trouble with the steering pulling, and a shop quoted him $100 to fix it. I was interested in buying the car (but didn't) and fixed it for him in my garage after a few minutes by balancing the valve.[/QUOTE]

I think thats my problem, when going on big highway turns either sides I can feel after returning to a straight position the steering makes force to the side i turned before. Am I clear with my problem?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 PM
ChocDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackRat
Don't want to highjack ChocDog but this is related and may help. Some of you may have read that I can no longer turn my steering to the right. I have verified that nothing is hanging in the suspension, blown out all the hoses, replaced the steering cylinder and the steering still want turn to the right with the cylinder hooked to the frame. If you disconnect the cylinder then the steering is free lock to lock. The only thing I have not replaced\rebuilt is the valve itself.

Thanks
Wade
Not a highjack at all. Thanks for your input. And thanks also Blackrat for the link. It works fine for me. I think I'll give it a go.
Kelly
Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

The valve is out and has been of the car and could also be dried out. I would repack it before re-installing. This valve can and will leak and make unwanted steering input. You will need to remember to adjust it once things are running.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

This is a good post on rebuilding the control valve and with pics.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1855649

Get notified of new replies

To How can you tell if your power steering control valve is bad??? PIC

Quick Reply: How can you tell if your power steering control valve is bad??? PIC