C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 q-jet secondaries

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM
karl wall
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 q-jet secondaries

I have a 1981 with the stock rochester quadrajet and the secondaries are only opening about 1/16 of the way at wot. Where these carbs set up this way or is something wrong? any ideas on how to correct this problem would be appreciated. thanks
Old 06-13-2008, 10:49 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

How are you seeing this 1/16" opening of the secondarys? Sitting still and reving the engine?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 AM
BigBlockk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the air valve? Are you trying to get them to open in your driveway while you're watching them? If so, the secondaries probably are opening all the way and the air valve is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. The only convenient way to see the air valve in action is to run the car under load at WOT on a chassis dyno with the air cleaner lid off.

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 06-13-2008, 01:11 PM
karl wall
Cruising

yep sitting still in the shop running the throttle by hand on the carb. the air valve and the secondaries are both staying closed when i rev it up i flipped the air valves open and the secondaries were only opening 1/16 as well as the air valves
Old 06-13-2008, 01:27 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by karl wall
yep sitting still in the shop running the throttle by hand on the carb. the air valve and the secondaries are both staying closed when i rev it up i flipped the air valves open and the secondaries were only opening 1/16 as well as the air valves
With the engine off and the air valve open so you can see inside you should be able to get the secondarys to open wide.Check to make sure the secondary lockout is not engaged.The choke controls it.If you cant get the secondarys to open then you have a problem.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:27 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With the engine off and warmed up, push the throttle cable to the WOT position. There's a metal tab called the 'tang" on the primary which engages the secondary pushrod. The tang is soft metal and can be bent to adjust until the secondary opens up completely. Do it a little bit at a time until fully open. When I got my 70, I had no secondaries at all, and Eddie70 helped me out and now they open fully. MAJOR difference at WOT now.
Good luck, Glenn
Old 06-13-2008, 05:26 PM
BigBlockk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has this carburetor been apart recently? If the linkage is correct (GD70's post) and the secondary lock out isn't mis adjusted (DWncchs' post) there may be a gasket issue. I've seen the secondaries get bound up on sloppy gaskets.

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 PM
karl wall
Cruising

thanks for the help. I put a wire nut over the tang to get it to open. i was afraid i was going to break something by bending it too far.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 q-jet secondaries

Quick Reply: 1981 q-jet secondaries