C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly Control Arm Bushings Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:19 AM
captainmorgan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poly Control Arm Bushings Squeaking

Has anyone installed the poly control arm bushings from Vette Brake and Products that didn't have a problem with them squeaking?

I installed the bushings per instructions and they squeak like crazy .
Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I'd be PO'd if they were squeeking from the get go.

Supposedly marine style grease works good as it resists water washout. Later them up real generously and you may have to redo them in a few years, if you cant live with the squeek.

I like the performace increase idea of poly, but cant live with the possible maintenance item of squeeking & dissassembly to regrease, so I went with new MOOG rubber bushings on my rebuild this year. It all in the eye of the beholder.

B...
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by captainmorgan
Has anyone installed the poly control arm bushings from Vette Brake and Products that didn't have a problem with them squeaking?

I installed the bushings per instructions and they squeak like crazy .
Energy Suspension makes a super-sticky grease that you can buy at AutoZone and similar stores. I've never had a squeak from poly.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Energy Suspension makes a super-sticky grease that you can buy at AutoZone and similar stores. I've never had a squeak from poly.

Use Formula 5 from Energy Suspensions

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/univ2.html

Its like the stickiest snot you can imagine, and waterproof. It will get all over your tools, hands, etc. I used mineral spirits to clean up the suspension parts and tools after installation. You dont need much, and I probably used too much. Got mine at NAPA for about $10 for about a pint container. More than enough!!
Old 06-21-2008, 02:49 PM
captainmorgan
Pro

Originally Posted by MN-Brent
Man I'd be PO'd if they were squeeking from the get go.

Supposedly marine style grease works good as it resists water washout. Later them up real generously and you may have to redo them in a few years, if you cant live with the squeek.

I like the performace increase idea of poly, but cant live with the possible maintenance item of squeeking & dissassembly to regrease, so I went with new MOOG rubber bushings on my rebuild this year. It all in the eye of the beholder.

B...
I changed them last year.

It turned out to be the sway bar bushings that were squeaking. I greased them and added a washer under the bracket and now it is nice and quiet.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

Try oiling them with some silicone spray. It might take care of the squeak.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:46 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have poly upper and lower control arms bushings from energy suspensions as well and used their lub that came with them. Not a squeak. However, the poly strut rod bushings in the rear that I put on 25 years ago do squeak slightly and have from day one but the sticky energy suspensions lub did not exist back then. The rears are not really an issue since the exhaust on my car drowns out any squeaks when I am moving. I am considering to switch the rear struts bars soon to the racing ones with the Heim joints so that should solve the problem in the back.

Get notified of new replies

To Poly Control Arm Bushings Squeaking

Quick Reply: Poly Control Arm Bushings Squeaking