C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-squeak kit from Mid America ? does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-squeak kit from Mid America ? does it work?

There is something called an anti-squeak kit in the Mid America catalog that claims it can silence these horrible C3 brake squeaks. Has anyone used this? Does it work?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

If those are the nylon tubes that are split down the side, I've tried them and they did help my squeeking issue (back when I had stock brakes).
Old 06-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Before installing new ones, I grind the leading edge of the pad at a 45* to stop the squeek...
Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Retro78
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get your runout within spec and your squeaks will disappear.. plus a consistently solid pedal.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:38 PM
billsfan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used anti-squeak gel from the parts store. You wipe it on the metal side of the pad, then let it dry before installing. It worked for me.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i just bit a bit of copper anti seize on the BACK side of the bad (metal side) and install it. It will stop the pads from vibrating. Also see about getting the pads and rotors dressed, that can help
Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
If those are the nylon tubes that are split down the side, I've tried them and they did help my squeeking issue (back when I had stock brakes).
Cool. Thanks. I'm desperate and will try anything.

Originally Posted by Avette4me
Before installing new ones, I grind the leading edge of the pad at a 45* to stop the squeek...
Been there done that. Did not help.

Originally Posted by carguy4sure
Get your runout within spec and your squeaks will disappear.. plus a consistently solid pedal.
What is runout? I assume getting the rotors turned will help with that? This has been an eternal problem and only affects the drivers side front.

Originally Posted by billsfan
I used anti-squeak gel from the parts store. You wipe it on the metal side of the pad, then let it dry before installing. It worked for me.
Been there done that. Did not help.

Originally Posted by Bowerss2
i just bit a bit of copper anti seize on the BACK side of the bad (metal side) and install it. It will stop the pads from vibrating. Also see about getting the pads and rotors dressed, that can help
Did that too... No help.

Thanks.

I've done everything from roughing up the rotors, changed to organic pads, tried the goop, silicon, beveled edges, you name it.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Retro78
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mia
What is runout? I assume getting the rotors turned will help with that? This has been an eternal problem and only affects the drivers side front. .
Normaly turning rotors will correct runout, however many other problems can cause excessive runout. It does not take much, even the slightest amount of rust or dirt on the mounting surface or if spindle out of spec..eg hit with a hammer in the past. It does not take much. For example, a .005 warped spindle gets amplified at the edges of the rotor to .011. Many of us have had to shim our rotors to get within spec using shims made from pop cans etc. Again.. brake squeak is almost always caused by excessive runout. Putting in those kits or the lub crap is a band-aid that typically does not last. Runout causes the pads to pulse in the calipers of our vette brakes which causes the noise..metal on metal squeak. Our brakes are a floating design and more prone to this problem. Get yourself a dial guage and check-out what you have. Search here using the archives for many posts on rotor runout.

For a quick visual check on the front wheels. A. put it on jackstands, B. Remove that rim. C. Install and Torque down the lug nuts on the rotor. D. Spin the rotor by hand while watching the pads for movement. Although you cannot measure it properly without a dial guage(cheap) it is actually easy to see if you have runout. You can also hold a screwdriver close to the surface of the rotor while someone else spins it as a quick visual test. Much harder todo on the rear's since you really need to pull the half shafts or at least get them level.

Last edited by Retro78; 06-30-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

I've got an appointment on Wednesday to get all four rotors turned. Hopefully this fixes it, or I'm gonna have to get rid of the car. The noise drives me nuts, and the screeching is embarrassing as hell. All the enjoyment I had in this car has been destroyed by these horrible brakes.

Venting... Stay tuned!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:56 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mia
I'm gonna have to get rid of the car.
Over a squeak?
Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stinger12
Over a squeak?
It's that bad, YES!

It's not just the constant squeak , squeak, but the SCREECHING SOUND!!! From the right rear brake. You'll be coming to a stop and people are look and like, wow, nice car, then the screech... And its like, What a POS!!!

Its so bad, it gives me a headache every time I drive it.

Its really very pronounced.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mia
It's that bad, YES!

It's not just the constant squeak , squeak, but the SCREECHING SOUND!!! From the right rear brake. You'll be coming to a stop and people are look and like, wow, nice car, then the screech... And its like, What a POS!!!

Its so bad, it gives me a headache every time I drive it.

Its really very pronounced.
Purchase some organic pads and the noise will disappear.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paul67
Purchase some organic pads and the noise will disappear.
Been there done that... It got worse!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:06 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You have a PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the PM Jeremy.

Ok, so the dealer calls today and I ask them the damage. They say, FREE... The free part was the front end alignment do over, which was their fault because the shims fell out 3 days after the alignment.

They said the brake squeak is caused by my "beauty rings"??? So they did NOT do anything about it...

WTF??? G#$%@ F#%@# SON OF A.......

Ok... I asked them to take it for a drive. Trim rings do not stop squeaking when you tap the brakes.

I give up... I told them to turn the damned rotors, check the run out, etc...

ARGH!!!! The pain continues. Thank God my MGB parts arrived from Victoria British today. I can aggravate myself by working on my British car for a while instead.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Dealer called... Says they still cannot hear the squeak. I must be imagining it. They did however say they found the problem with the right rear screech noise at stops. Apparently it was the parking brake shoes. They said they removed them, and made a few other adjustments.

Never once did they check the run out like I asked. I brought it in to have the run out checked and rotors turned, and everything but has been done. ARGH!!!!

$160 and going to pick it up. If that screech is gone, I'm not gonna complain. I'd have paid any amount to get rid of that.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Brake squeal is a pita.Years ago I used to work on a few exects. Corvettes that worked for GM here locally.One of them said at the brake plant they did a 2 year study on brake squeal.He said that the study determined that ALL disc brakes squeal but the ones that you dont hear squealing are at a frequency that the human ear cant hear.He said that the rotor serves as the SPEAKER for the noise.He said some rotors are of the density that produce a squeal.He said that sometimes turning a rotor changes the density and turns that rotor into a squealer.The squeal is a vibration of the pad on the surface of the rotor and some try adding goop to the back side of the pad to dampen this vibration-he said the goop did not do well on the Corvette rotor.He claimed that trying to change the rotor density was a better way to go.I remember seeing some soft tubes for sale that were pushed into the vent holes on the rotor-I never tried those but I did try the blue spray in the vent holes a couple of times and small pieces of thin plastic at the end of the brake pads.Ive also had pretty good luck with lubeing both ends of the pad where it contacts the caliper with moly lube.Ive never found a perfect solution that works on every car.Runout is very important but I have had cars where the runout is less than .003 and they still squealed.

Get notified of new replies

To Anti-squeak kit from Mid America ? does it work?

Old 07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Brake squeal is a pita.Years ago I used to work on a few exects. Corvettes that worked for GM here locally.One of them said at the brake plant they did a 2 year study on brake squeal.He said that the study determined that ALL disc brakes squeal but the ones that you dont hear squealing are at a frequency that the human ear cant hear.He said that the rotor serves as the SPEAKER for the noise.He said some rotors are of the density that produce a squeal.He said that sometimes turning a rotor changes the density and turns that rotor into a squealer.The squeal is a vibration of the pad on the surface of the rotor and some try adding goop to the back side of the pad to dampen this vibration-he said the goop did not do well on the Corvette rotor.He claimed that trying to change the rotor density was a better way to go.I remember seeing some soft tubes for sale that were pushed into the vent holes on the rotor-I never tried those but I did try the blue spray in the vent holes a couple of times and small pieces of thin plastic at the end of the brake pads.Ive also had pretty good luck with lubeing both ends of the pad where it contacts the caliper with moly lube.Ive never found a perfect solution that works on every car.Runout is very important but I have had cars where the runout is less than .003 and they still squealed.
I'd have to say that is bull ****..

The only time I've had break squeak or squeal was when it was time to get new brakes. That includes everything from trucks to cars, to my Motorcycles.

I'm gonna have to say that this sounds like an excuse for poor design.

Anyway, got her back. So far, so good. $186 with tax. Not happy about that, but if it stops the noise! I'm fine with it!

Made it here: http://www.usatoday.com/money/galler...news/flash.htm

I'm number 2 with the coffee cup!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

just sell it ..
Old 07-04-2008, 11:26 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mia
Thanks for the PM Jeremy.

Ok, so the dealer calls today and I ask them the damage. They say, FREE... The free part was the front end alignment do over, which was their fault because the shims fell out 3 days after the alignment.

They said the brake squeak is caused by my "beauty rings"??? So they did NOT do anything about it...

WTF??? G#$%@ F#%@# SON OF A.......

Ok... I asked them to take it for a drive. Trim rings do not stop squeaking when you tap the brakes.

I give up... I told them to turn the damned rotors, check the run out, etc...

ARGH!!!! The pain continues. Thank God my MGB parts arrived from Victoria British today. I can aggravate myself by working on my British car for a while instead.
What a load of crap.

Quick Reply: Anti-squeak kit from Mid America ? does it work?