Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
minxdog
Junior Member
 
minxdog's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2008
Default Water Pump

I'm getting ready to drop in a new crate motor in a 1979 and I am confused on what what water pump to use . Does it have to be corvette specific,or can I use a short pump with a shim kit behind the pulley? Also does this water pump run counter clockwise or clockwise I've been told both. That's why I figured I better check on this forum, you guys have been the best source of information since I started this project. thanks
minxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
71rdster
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Spring Texas
Default

Get the Corvette specific water pump. It willl be one less thing to worry about and one less thing to cause the next owner to cuss at you when he starts working on it. The pump should be standard rotation if you are using all the original pulleys and brackets. If you are using a serpentine system, you will need to verify whether the setup is for reverse rotation or standard.
71rdster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
80Vette80
CF Member
 
80Vette80's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Mobile Alabama
Default

80Vette80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Durango_Boy
CF Senior Member
 
Durango_Boy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Columbia Missouri
Send a message via AIM to Durango_Boy
Default

I agree with the above. Get a Corvette specific pump for your year so you don't have to shim a pulley. That's just inviting run out and vibration problems.

At the same time, you want a clockwise rotation pump, which is standard rotation for your Vette. Reverse rotation, or counter clockwise, was not started until GM started putting serpentine belt systems on engines.
Durango_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
69Vett
CF Senior Member
 
69Vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Default Corvette water Pump only ??

Anyone have these specs. for a corvete pump only ?

I used a standard "Short pump" High volume,
I used all orginal pulley and brackets, no shimming required.
just fired up my motor no belt aligment issues.
good luck...69VETT
69Vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
justaguy10825
CF Senior Member
 
justaguy10825's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Searcy Arkansas
Send a message via Yahoo to justaguy10825
Default

Hate to sound like a dumb-dumb but "Corvette specific" water pump? I guess I did not know that when I put my 350 in...The belts do not line up perfectly and there is some vibration in the alternator bracket when running. I guess I thought it was just something I would have to live with...

I have been intending to change out the pump anyway because it is not the shiny chrome one but have also been thinking about an electric pump... Has anyone had any experience with the electrics? & Does anyone have a part number or affordable place to buy on a "Specific" conventional chrome pump for a 78 w/350?

Thanks!
justaguy10825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Durango_Boy
CF Senior Member
 
Durango_Boy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Columbia Missouri
Send a message via AIM to Durango_Boy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy10825 View Post
Hate to sound like a dumb-dumb but "Corvette specific" water pump? I guess I did not know that when I put my 350 in...The belts do not line up perfectly and there is some vibration in the alternator bracket when running. I guess I thought it was just something I would have to live with...

I have been intending to change out the pump anyway because it is not the shiny chrome one but have also been thinking about an electric pump... Has anyone had any experience with the electrics? & Does anyone have a part number or affordable place to buy on a "Specific" conventional chrome pump for a 78 w/350?

Thanks!

Yeah, GM makes four water pumps for Gen1 small block engines.

Long - Clockwise
Short - Clockwise
Corvette short - Clockwise
Long - Counter Clockwise

You probably got a GM short pump, which is just a bit different than Corvette specific water pumps.

Here is a Corvette specific chrome water pump from Eckler's.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...4&dept_id=1220
Durango_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
71rdster
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Spring Texas
Default

There is also the short Corvette reverse rotation pump for L98's
71rdster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
jackson
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Timmonsville SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Vett View Post
Anyone have these specs. for a corvete pump only ?

I used a standard "Short pump" High volume,
I used all orginal pulley and brackets, no shimming required.
just fired up my motor no belt aligment issues.
good luck...69VETT
OE C3 sbc uses short pump thru ABOUT 1970 ... ABOUT thereafter OE C3 sbc uses vette specific. That's why late 60's C3 aligns w/ short w/ no problem but a late 70's C3 misaligns w/ short. earlier pulleys/brackets not same as later.

FYI ... V belt pumps rotate same as crank ... serpentine pumps typically reverse.

vette pump (~ 5.795") about 3/16" larger from block to hub face than short (~ 5.625")

Last edited by jackson; 06-30-2008 at 03:39 PM.
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
69Vett
CF Senior Member
 
69Vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Default great info ! thanks !

Great info ! thanks !

and... that explains why I was able to use a standard pump on my 69 configuration. 69VETT
69Vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
lil_red_devil
CF Member
 
lil_red_devil's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: London, UK
Default

I used the GM Performance 14011012 aluminum pump. Direct fit on my 79 and the pulley didn't need any shims. Also had 2 bolt paterns for different types of pulley. You need the clockwise pump for a standard setup or a reverse rotation if you have a serpentine belt conversion.

Hope this helps
lil_red_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
lil_red_devil
CF Member
 
lil_red_devil's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: London, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_red_devil View Post
I used the GM Performance 14011012 aluminum pump. Direct fit on my 79 and the pulley didn't need any shims. Also had 2 bolt paterns for different types of pulley. You need the clockwise pump for a standard setup or a reverse rotation if you have a serpentine belt conversion.

Hope this helps
Aparently the part number has been superceeded by 19168604. Check it first though if you choose this pump
lil_red_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
justaguy10825
CF Senior Member
 
justaguy10825's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Searcy Arkansas
Send a message via Yahoo to justaguy10825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango_boy View Post
Yeah, GM makes four water pumps for Gen1 small block engines.

Long - Clockwise
Short - Clockwise
Corvette short - Clockwise
Long - Counter Clockwise

You probably got a GM short pump, which is just a bit different than Corvette specific water pumps.

Here is a Corvette specific chrome water pump from Eckler's.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...4&dept_id=1220


Thanks for the info! I'll take a look...
justaguy10825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #14
PeteZO6
CF Senior Member
 
PeteZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Cameron Park CA
Send a message via MSN to PeteZO6
Default Still confused, but that's normal...

This is all very interesting!!! When I built my engine, I used aluminum pump p/n 14011012 that lil_red_devil says is superseded. I just punched 14011012 into GMPartsDirect's web pagehttp://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ and it comes still comes up.

In any event, that's not why I am posting here. My car is a very late (Nov.'69) can and i found the above pump placed the w/p pulley and fan 3/16" too far forward! To align the belts, I made this plate that fits between the harmonic balancer and the crank pulley.

Click the image to open in full size. (that is supposed to be an image, not just a link???)
This aligned the crank and w/p pulleys. I only have an alternator to accomodate, and that was easy with the Hooker alternator adapter I bought with the headers.

I'm still confused about short and Corvette short pumps, but that's how I got around the problem.

Cheers,
Pete
PeteZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
lil_red_devil
CF Member
 
lil_red_devil's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: London, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZO6 View Post
This is all very interesting!!! When I built my engine, I used aluminum pump p/n 14011012 that lil_red_devil says is superseded. I just punched 14011012 into GMPartsDirect's web pagehttp://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ and it comes still comes up.

In any event, that's not why I am posting here. My car is a very late (Nov.'69) can and i found the above pump placed the w/p pulley and fan 3/16" too far forward! To align the belts, I made this plate that fits between the harmonic balancer and the crank pulley.

Click the image to open in full size. (that is supposed to be an image, not just a link???)
This aligned the crank and w/p pulleys. I only have an alternator to accomodate, and that was easy with the Hooker alternator adapter I bought with the headers.

I'm still confused about short and Corvette short pumps, but that's how I got around the problem.

Cheers,
Pete
The new part number seems to be the one used by summit and pace parts. Fitted this to my 79 and to a 78. Both aligned perfect. Both have had a CS144 alt upgrade and used the same bracket as before with the stock alt. I was also confused when looking for a pump. Both these cars are ps and ac cars. Maybe you have a different crank pulley? Or maybe I was just lucky
lil_red_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #16
GrandSportC3
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Secular Capitalist Lakeland, FL
Send a message via AIM to GrandSportC3 Send a message via Yahoo to GrandSportC3 Send a message via Skype™ to GrandSportC3
Default

The only time that I'd use a Corvette specific pump would be on a all original NCRS car.. However, there's no real reason to go with a Corvette water pump on any other street Vette or Hotrod. You can get a high volume aluminum pump for $50, less than half the price of the iron pump that is Corvette specific..
I have a ProComp high volume pump on my yellow '68 and i'm running 170 to 190 degrees.. No alignment issues with the belt..
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #17
noonie
CF Senior Member
 
noonie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZO6 View Post
This is all very interesting!!! When I built my engine, I used aluminum pump p/n 14011012 that lil_red_devil says is superseded. I just punched 14011012 into GMPartsDirect's web pagehttp://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ and it comes still comes up.

In any event, that's not why I am posting here. My car is a very late (Nov.'69) can and i found the above pump placed the w/p pulley and fan 3/16" too far forward! To align the belts, I made this plate that fits between the harmonic balancer and the crank pulley.

Click the image to open in full size. (that is supposed to be an image, not just a link???)
This aligned the crank and w/p pulleys. I only have an alternator to accomodate, and that was easy with the Hooker alternator adapter I bought with the headers.

I'm still confused about short and Corvette short pumps, but that's how I got around the problem.
Cheers,
Pete

Normal rotation pumps for Corvette SB

From the pump mounting surface to the pulley mounting surface

Up to 70---5.625"----5/8" shaft

Up to 70---5.625"----3/4" shaft

71-82---5.795"----3/4" shaft

Long SB pump is 6.932"

Some pass cars and trucks also used both the 5/8" and 3/4" shaft short pumps.
noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
PeteZO6
CF Senior Member
 
PeteZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Cameron Park CA
Send a message via MSN to PeteZO6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonie View Post
Normal rotation pumps for Corvette SB

From the pump mounting surface to the pulley mounting surface

Up to 70---5.625"----5/8" shaft

Up to 70---5.625"----3/4" shaft

71-82---5.795"----3/4" shaft

Long SB pump is 6.932"

Some pass cars and trucks also used both the 5/8" and 3/4" shaft short pumps.
Thanks Noonie!

That makes sense. 5.795" - 5.652" = .17". My spacer at 3/16" = .1875. The pump I am using, p/n 14011012, is the longer short Corvette pump, and my crank pulley is for the shorter short Corvette pump since it's a 1969 model. My 3/16" spacer is off by 0.0175 or about 1/64", but it doesn't seem to be enough to bother the belts. The key was getting the alternator aligned properly which I was able to do.

Cheers,
Pete
PeteZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Water Pump
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
14011012, 19168604, 1979, corvette, gm, number, part, performance, problems, pulley, pump, shim, short, standard, water


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
meziere tblikmann C4 Tech/Performance 0 08-03-2014 08:15 PM
Clockwise ? Counter Clockwise ? Jackfit C1 & C2 Corvettes 13 04-08-2013 10:30 AM
Water pump questions? firstgear C1 & C2 Corvettes 3 08-20-2011 12:11 AM
Stock water pump rotation jsup C4 Tech/Performance 1 12-07-2007 07:10 PM
Reversing the belt on the water pump - which pump to use? VtVette C4 Tech/Performance 9 01-17-2006 03:13 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Emails & Password Backup