C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH200R4 Detent Cable End Slack.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default TH200R4 Detent Cable End Slack.

In regards to the TH200R4's detent cable end, where should it be at rest. I know the detent and throttle should be fully open together so does that mean that there should be a little bit of slack and the throttle 'picks up' the cable end a bit through it's cycle?

I'm making the throttle / detent bracket and I want to set it right before the start up. I would assume no slack and the cable end at the cable stop like in pic #1. The travel of the throttle almost matches the travel of the detent cable, but the travel becomes much harder at the very end...like it's a different spring inside on the detent cable.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:06 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't think there should be any slack at idle. There is a pretty good write up on the BTO website. One of the issues that you have in setting one of these up is getting the gometry right. You want the draw on the cable to be even throughout the power band. If it isn't fully extended at full throttle (ususally, this is how you set it up) AND properly set at idle, the transmission won't perform correctly. You can also wear the clutches out prematurely.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
I don't think there should be any slack at idle. There is a pretty good write up on the BTO website. One of the issues that you have in setting one of these up is getting the gometry right. You want the draw on the cable to be even throughout the power band. If it isn't fully extended at full throttle (ususally, this is how you set it up) AND properly set at idle, the transmission won't perform correctly. You can also wear the clutches out prematurely.

That's what I thought. I'm almost done with my new bracket and I will have to get a new cable stop to shorten it a bit to fit snug. The way I have it, it's just above a straight shot so when the throttle is actuated it evens out and ends up a bit under a straight shot. I left some adjustability in it so I can make changes if the movement isn't precise the way I have it.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

The two most important areas for th TV cable are:
1: full throttle and no extra cable.
2: Idle Throttle and a slight increase of pressure with cable attached verses not attached. You must see an increase in pressure with any increase in throttle.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redwingvette
The two most important areas for th TV cable are:
1: full throttle and no extra cable.
2: Idle Throttle and a slight increase of pressure with cable attached verses not attached. You must see an increase in pressure with any increase in throttle.

Okay I will make sure the cable it taught when the throttle is at rest. I like to keep my throttle cable tight so that I get very fast response from the pedal. I'll make sure the TV cable gets reaction when the throttle cable does. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a trans pressure gauge. You need to verify the operating pressures. Without it you will be guessing at best.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:05 PM
knodty
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Artsvette73
Buy a trans pressure gauge. You need to verify the operating pressures. Without it you will be guessing at best.
The pressures at idle should be 5-10 psi more with the t.v. cable connected than with it disconnected.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by knodty
The pressures at idle should be 5-10 psi more with the t.v. cable connected than with it disconnected.

So a bit pre-loaded so to speak.

Get notified of new replies

To TH200R4 Detent Cable End Slack.

Quick Reply: TH200R4 Detent Cable End Slack.