C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump cap leaking - solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:17 PM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Power steering pump cap leaking - solution?

For as long as I can remember, my power steering system has leaked and I always suspected the cap, so I replaced the cap but this didn't fix the problem. I've just been reinstalling the power steering ram, valve and pump onto my chassis and the pump fell onto its side for 10 seconds before I realised. Fluid came out through the cap seal (slowly) while the pump was on its side.

I've dismantled the cap to find out why it could be leaking:

Moulded into the underside of the cap are two grooves. I'm guessing these are breather ducts to allow the PS fluid to expand when hot and contract when cold. Thing is, I reckon they're also the source of the leak when the engine is running, even though the level of the PS fluid is correct according to the dipstick on the cap.

Question is, what would happen if I sealed the rubber washer to the underside of the cap and blocked these grooves? I think that would fix the leak. Would that cause a problem with the running of the hydraulic system?

Would appreciate any help you can offer.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You don't want to seal it so that air can't get in or out. Your problem is likely that the fluid level is too high when the unit gets to operating temperature. Or, the pump is malfunctioning and needs to be rebuilt. Check fluid level first....then do a pump rebuild. Chances are that the pump pressure regulator is not working as it should.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:11 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply

I think the level is correct but I'll double-check.

Are you able to guess at what aspect of the pump might need rebuilding? It's a fairly new pump so I'd hope it's OK.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i took the gasket from my old cap, added it to the new cap. the 2 fixed my leak
Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Thank you Matt. I think I'll try making a second seal to add to the first to increase pressure on the cap and perhaps reduce the leak.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering pump cap leaking - solution?

Quick Reply: Power steering pump cap leaking - solution?