C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy stamps for eng VIN & SUFFIX ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Where to buy stamps for eng VIN & SUFFIX ?

Hi

Pls don't bash me for this, I bought a correct short block for my early 68 and the block has a virgin stamp pad.

Where can I buy the correct stamps for the VIN & SUFFIX ? Both have different sizes.

Did the numbers got stamped one by one or was a holder used in order to stamp the whole VIN or SUFFIX ?

I am presently not planning to install this engine, but if I ever decide to do so or if I sell the car, it would be nice if I had all this tools to go with it.

And yes, )I know that I should not sell a numbers matching car. I will not because this is not realy paied for over here in Europe anyway. I promise that I will always show this car as numbers correct clone, OK !

Rgds. Günther
Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get ahold of or search Hemmings Motor News. They ussually have ads for both the stamping kits as well as shops that will do it. (It's done in a gang holder).

http://www.hemmings.com/

ps: Be prepared for some flames. Regardless of intention
Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Not to "steal" the thread- but does anyone know where I can get the cotton type of paper used in printing money.

I've got a killer printing press-I'm not going to print any money but I just want to make sure it'll fit in the printer.....
Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My two cents. Why bother? The stamps are not going to be original anyway. So, If you stamp it, you are just going to have a stamped pad. Those that are knowledgeable will know, no matter what you do, even if you have it professionaly done.

And then theres that little matter of legality.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:40 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Re-stamping a NOM engine with your VIN and then selling the car (without divulging that it has been 'faked') is FRAUD... pure and simple. I, for one, will not assist anyone in doing so. (Not 'flaming' you, just stating facts.)
Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was common practise in the 20's and 30's for dealers to have replacement blocks/engines with no numbers. The dealer would replace the part and use a factory type stamp to exchange the numbers, then trash the block. They are accepted as replacements at concourse judging.
If you have a one of a kind Rolls Royce, and break a part, and pay big $$$ to have it replicated from original plans, and they stamp the correct number, you have preserved history, and no judge will know.
We are just talking about a stupid car part. If the casting numbers are correct, and it's the exact replacement part, I fail to see the harm in preserving history here. As time goes on, parts will become even more scarce. Some rules are just stupid, and used to enhance the wealth of the few. It's JUST a stupid car part, not government currency.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Not to "steal" the thread- but does anyone know where I can get the cotton type of paper used in printing money.

I've got a killer printing press-I'm not going to print any money but I just want to make sure it'll fit in the printer.....

try bleaching singles....
Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Re-stamping a NOM engine with your VIN and then selling the car (without divulging that it has been 'faked') is FRAUD... pure and simple. I, for one, will not assist anyone in doing so. (Not 'flaming' you, just stating facts.)
Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Unless you are printing "ones", it won't work very well. Everything $5 and up has those pesky silver strips in them. There was a spot on the radio saying that computer scanners and laser printers have gotten so good that any high school kid can make perfect dupes of dollar bills. But the paper is the catch. It's got those blue and red "splinters" in them and you can't buy paper like that. Heck, the way the new US paper money looks, you can probably use Monopoly money and it will look the same.
Probably be worth more than the US money too!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by FB007
We are just talking about a stupid car part. If the casting numbers are correct, and it's the exact replacement part, I fail to see the harm in preserving history here. As time goes on, parts will become even more scarce. Some rules are just stupid, and used to enhance the wealth of the few. It's JUST a stupid car part, not government currency.
You can replace and repaint the the whole body, replace the whole interior and thats OK but deck and restamp the block and now your a criminal? I don't think so.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
You can replace and repaint the the whole body, replace the whole interior and thats OK but deck and restamp the block and now your a criminal? I don't think so.
Yes it is rather hypocritical but very controvercial at the same time. Too many innocent people getting painted with a wide brush on this. This is a dividing topic, not a uniting one. Some times it is better to "don't ask - don't tell"

-Mark.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
My two cents. Why bother? The stamps are not going to be original anyway. So, If you stamp it, you are just going to have a stamped pad. Those that are knowledgeable will know, no matter what you do, even if you have it professionaly done.

And then theres that little matter of legality.
Believe, believe what you want to....I PERSONALLY KNOW different.....I know guys who have fooled NCRS right there in front of me/them.....

done all the time, nothing new....move along....

Far as I"m concerned i'ts all anyway, not because of the stamping issue, but well, what do you do when your frame rusts out??? get another one, that's what....no choice....

so is it numbers matching THEN???

OH but it has a reproduction 1157 bulb in the tail lights.....
Old 08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody know the legality of restamping the vin on a motor? I know it's illegal to reproduce the vin tag and affix that, and to reproduce the sticker and affix that. I would think it would also be illegal to reproduce a false vin on an non-original car part and install that, also.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM
dmayhew
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WESCH
Hi

Pls don't bash me for this, I bought a correct short block for my early 68 and the block has a virgin stamp pad.

Where can I buy the correct stamps for the VIN & SUFFIX ? Both have different sizes.

Did the numbers got stamped one by one or was a holder used in order to stamp the whole VIN or SUFFIX ?

I am presently not planning to install this engine, but if I ever decide to do so or if I sell the car, it would be nice if I had all this tools to go with it.

And yes, )I know that I should not sell a numbers matching car. I will not because this is not realy paied for over here in Europe anyway. I promise that I will always show this car as numbers correct clone, OK !

Rgds. Günther

This is the last place you should ask such a question. We all buy these cars and I personally do not want to assist in faking a engine pad.

And it is not just your intenions that matter. How can you insure what someone you sell the car to may do when they sell it?

But if you must know , I think CROOKS R US sells the stamps

Last edited by dmayhew; 08-18-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

Are you sure? I don't condone it, but it is not at all clear to me that doing it is fraud. You are restoring a car to "as new" condition. Don't they call them, (euphemistically) "restoration engines" ? Didn't "The Last Sting Ray" have a non-original matching numbers engine? They took that sucker to Barrett Jackson and sold it for $1mm on national TV.. didn't they? or was it $.5mm,,, can't remember... anything
Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Model T Fords had no VIN #. They had engine numbers. One place, that's it. Dealers had blank blocks. That's just the way it was.

Later in years, Vin#'s were added for THEFT detection and tracking. A good thing. Just like weapons, parts could be checked for ownership and such.

Even later, VIN#'s were tracked for ownership/damage/accidents . Another good thing.'

However, like all laws that were born under good intent, there is some flaws. As law abiding COLLECTORS of Americana, there should be a mechanism in place. IE, a rare car is crashed beyond repair. The IDENTICAL replacement body part is located in NOS shape. The VIN plate should be allowed to be swapped in the presence of a law enforcement officer, the other part destroyed, and a notary signed.
The history is preserved while still enforcing the provisions of theft prevention.
If someone has an engine, and the block is destroyed, and locates the EXACT replacement that has no #, and assigns that number, it IS that engine. Just because that # was transferred later, and not by Bubba at station 37, so what. In all respects, it's the same. If not, all you cheaters with new pistons and rings should be ashamed of yourselves.(Criminals)
Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Thmprr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FB007
It was common practise in the 20's and 30's for dealers to have replacement blocks/engines with no numbers. The dealer would replace the part and use a factory type stamp to exchange the numbers, then trash the block. They are accepted as replacements at concourse judging.
If you have a one of a kind Rolls Royce, and break a part, and pay big $$$ to have it replicated from original plans, and they stamp the correct number, you have preserved history, and no judge will know.
We're getting too carried away with the #'s matching thing. If you tell someone who is an enthusiastic collector if he would care if it was a repro stamping, I bet he wouldn't care less if the rest of the car is a desirable collectible. I came across a '69 L-71 which had a CE engine, beautiful car otherwise, I thought it was a shame that some accident in it's past ruined the resale value of that car.
In the art world, many paintings have been restored to the point where it is impossible to tell how it was done. I think the same logic prevails with #'s matching - disclosure is the key.
In any case, the fans of #'s matching will be shattered to learn that already there could be new blocks being cast and stamped with "correct" #'s to order.
I have no proof that this takes place but a judge I know who judges Tri Fives said that the restoration industry knows that Chinese foundries are more than capable of producing blocks to order, and machining and stamping to exact requirement. It's a question of demand, if the requirement is there, it can be filled.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to buy stamps for eng VIN & SUFFIX ?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:22 PM
61 vert
Instructor

Default restoration

In my opinion, restamping a block is OK.You are restoring/rebuilding/refurbishing your car to original specs. I also think that this has happened enough in this hobby/business that I respectfully treat all matching #s cars as though they have a restamped motor unles there is undisputable documentation as to the contrary.I would like to see the big sale price between the "original" and replacement or restamped motored car come together a little bit.The quality of the restoration and parts used is much more important to me than the fact that the motor is the exact one that the car was born with.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:26 AM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's some food for thought....
Is a human being that had a bad heart replaced with a newer, stronger, more powerful donor, any less of a person or valued any less than prior to the surgery? Or are they now better for what they've gone through???
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 AM
BB427
Racer

It's a denim material not pure cotton and I will not condone this conversation or help you 50/50 just a joke we all know big brother is watching.

Seriously I have a C- replacementy block in our vette it is cast # correct the woman that owned the car I was told spun a bearing . I would stamp the # in a heartbeat if I had the stamps either way there is a C on the # stamp pad

Last edited by BB427; 08-19-2008 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Where to buy stamps for eng VIN & SUFFIX ?