C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I use synthetic oil in my brand new zz4 crate engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 05:26 PM
andre77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I use synthetic oil in my brand new zz4 crate engine?

The motor is going in tomorrow and I was wondering what the best situation would be? Regular oil or the synthetic type like Mobil one. :confused:
Old 01-04-2002, 06:08 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Should I use synthetic oil in my brand new zz4 crate engine? (andre77)

The motor is going in tomorrow and I was wondering what the best situation would be? Regular oil or the synthetic type like Mobil one. :confused:
I have read a few opinions from both sides of this issue. Many people like to run a non-synthetic for break in, and then go to synthetic. But then there is the argument that Chevrolet does or at least did use Mobile 1 synthetic as the factory fill oil :confused:
I kind of doubt that you would ever realize a difference either way. Since your new engine is under warranty, I would find out what GM's recommendation is.

(Probably not the kind of response you were looking for eh!? :) )
Old 01-04-2002, 07:21 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Should I use synthetic oil in my brand new zz4 crate engine? (MIKER)

I've heard of using a special break-in synthetic blend, and then going to full synthetic. I think it was Red Line that made 2 types like that.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:33 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Default Re: Should I use synthetic oil in my brand new zz4 crate engine? (andre77)

I would go with regular oil for break in, at least 2500 miles, that's what I did and was told to do by the rebuilder during break in. The bottom lines is if the rings don't set during break in they never will. Using regular oil will work that's a given, so why risk due to someones opinion, besides it's cheaper.

Remember during break in it's better to vary the speed of driving, an example is when your going down the highway don't drive double nickle the whole time instead speed up and slow down.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy :yesnod:
Old 01-04-2002, 07:43 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Should I use synthetic oil in my brand new zz4 crate engine? (ddn)

Most engine builders I've dealt with have always recommended an organic single viscosity oil (i.e. 30W) for break-in. The logic is that the typical synthetic lubrication properties are so effective that it could actually inhibit proper piston ring seating (wear) which is one of the objectives of the break-in. I personally have have always followed this and have never had a problem with a new engine or a newly rebuilt one. I will admit one thing that I have never followed is the one of the various break-in periods in miles (i.e. 5000, etc.). I break-in the cam (no idle, 2000-2500 RPM for 20 minutes), change the oil & filter then drive the car in normal traffic at a normal pace to vary the engine speeds for a couple of 100 miles or so, check for leaks etc and if everything is cool...thats it. Never had a problem in 10+ engines.

However, with all that said, I agree w/MIKER...since its under warranty, I would follow GMs recommendation in order to avoid any potential hassle down the road if you do have a problem with the engine.

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 6:44 PM 1/4/2002]
Old 01-04-2002, 08:03 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Have read alot on this and gotten some great advise. General consensus where I could find one was to go with Valvoline 30 wieght for break in. Change the oil at 500 miles, Change again 1000 miles w/ 10w30 or based upon your climate. 3000 miles go ahead and make your switch to synthetic. I am now a big fan of redline products. I have used Mobile 1 for years but was just recently convinced of the quality of product they make when I put thier MT90 in my Lexus manual transmission. I thought I was going to need a rebuild and now she shifts like new. Really amazing stuff. I will be converting my vett to completely redline after breakin.

:seeya
Old 01-04-2002, 09:51 PM
74Vetteski
Advanced

I probably did it wrong but this is what I did. I ran my engine with the oil that came with the ZZ4 (cam break in at 2000 - 2500 rpm for 20-30 minutes). Then with the same oil I drove it at varying speeds for about 50 miles (40 mph to 70 mph up and down no mercy). At that point I changed to mobile 1 trisynthetic. Since then I kick the poopie out of it (making a hole in the carpet), NO PROBLEMS, runs strong! The most difficulties I have are with my carb settings. ZZ4 Rules the road.... :cool:
Peter

BTW I've got easily 10000 hard miles on her without a glitch!

[Modified by 74Vetteski, 7:52 PM 1/4/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Should I use synthetic oil in my brand new zz4 crate engine?

Quick Reply: Should I use synthetic oil in my brand new zz4 crate engine?