C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRAD PENN Racing oil partial synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default BRAD PENN Racing oil partial synthetic

Anyone using it ?

I have it in my new motor 20W50, it is partial synthetic and it has high levels of zinc and phosphate, and it's green !

http://www.bradpennracing.com/default.asp
Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

just started using it a couple weeks ago. no problems so far. i thought it was the light and the funnel i was using that made it look green.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:58 PM
wro87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was the oil that the shop recommended when they set the top end up yea its GREEN almost like antifreze. We have had it in for 2 years now with no problem ( yea we changed the oil) it will dirty up and my oil presure is still running 60-65 psi at idle and crusing. It is a L98 engine in our C4 and will be putting it in the C3 once we get it sorted out.
WRO87
Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

My friend owns a machine shop, he uses it in all the engines he builds
Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 AM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

same type place that recommended it for me, its an old muscle car shop, and one that does real work.

speaking of the psi, i noticed mine runs a bit higher too with this stuff. nothing to worry about, but something i noticed.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:17 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by another-user
same type place that recommended it for me, its an old muscle car shop, and one that does real work.

speaking of the psi, i noticed mine runs a bit higher too with this stuff. nothing to worry about, but something i noticed.
20W-50 will cause high pressures in a smaller clearance motor.

I have never heard of Penn oil. It must be an east coast thing. I use the 10W-30 VR-1 or a combo of 1/2 20W-50 for race days when I expect to see 220+ water temps and loss of oil pressure in the turns. ( i just ordered accusump for the next race).

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=50
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Originally Posted by gkull
20W-50 will cause high pressures in a smaller clearance motor.

I have never heard of Penn oil. It must be an east coast thing. I use the 10W-30 VR-1 or a combo of 1/2 20W-50 for race days when I expect to see 220+ water temps and loss of oil pressure in the turns. ( i just ordered accusump for the next race).

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=50
Someone I know with a C5 just had an engine rebuild because he lost oil pressure at Mosport. He does not drive nearly as aggressive as you, time for dry sump I would say

I have a Melling Select pump which is high volume. Supposed to be only 10% higher than there stock pump but my oil pressure is pegged at 80psi at anything over idle. Idle it is 40psi hot.

Don't know if this is good thing or not yet. Funny though I was reading the the fine print and it says the pump will reach equilibrium at 70psi, that's 10% over stock ?

Another point about this Brad Penn oil, it is partial synthetic so it is thinner than regular dino oil
Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Someone I know with a C5 just had an engine rebuild because he lost oil pressure at Mosport. He does not drive nearly as aggressive as you, time for dry sump I would say

I have a Melling Select pump which is high volume. Supposed to be only 10% higher than there stock pump but my oil pressure is pegged at 80psi at anything over idle. Idle it is 40psi hot.
I have the 8 quart road racing pan with all the baffles and scrapers. I also have the one quart filter. so on a race day I have putting a quart over full (10 quarts) to try and keep oil pressure because cars have engine failures at our local track. In the longer turns I see my pressure swing down to 40 lbs or less and I steer into it and get the pressure back up. so it kind of sucks going through turns watching the pressure gauge to save the motor and limiting how you do turns.

anyway I believe that excessive oil pressure is kind of a waste so i limit mine with thinner oil. I also have a higher pressure pump with the Bypass blocked off.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:51 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Where can you buy BradPenn oil

I only see it in adds or ebay $50 for 12 quarts and $18 frieght.

Seems cheaper to get gallon of Rottela 20-40 at $11/gallon and GM EOS at $14/quart.

BradPenn/Penn Oil/Kendal/US & American are old names for Oil Co. in Bradford, PA area and remeber, oil started in PA.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

You can get it here.
I highly recommend these guys. They sent me the wrong thing by accident and ended up sending a whole other shipment of the correct oil and let me keep the original crate. My future oil needs for the '69 will be from these guys!

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...ants-c-21.html
Old 09-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Racerill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a large distributor for all penn grade products. I can sell way less than anyone and I also stock over 20000 gallons of Brad penn.

Please call me or e-mail me direct for case quanities.

Also we are looking for new distributors and a huge break at a full pallet.

We also sell...Wolf's Head, Elf, Total and Triden..These are all premium oils.

Matt@wpparts.com
314-303-5195
Old 09-19-2008, 02:49 PM
timgman
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Justy got my 383 and it came filled with brad

You can get this oil from

www.portcitymachine.com

Brad Penn is a must for flat tappet cams ....
The main tech is knowledgeable as far as the needs of scca and other hight end vintage/rare race cars and their preservation.
they simply rock....

tag
Old 09-19-2008, 09:34 PM
ZL1powr
Pro

I've been using Brad Pen 10w30 for a couple of years in the ZL1 motor in my 71 and the blown 427 in my 65. I also use Prad Penn 30W break in oil for new engines. The owner of Cresap Racing ingines uses Brad Penn in all the engines he builds and turned me on to it.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 PM
wildandblue1965
5th Gear

Default Brad Penn High performance oil

The "green oil" y'all are talking about is refined by American Refineries in Bradford,Pa. it is what used to be Kendall GT-1 Conoco has purchased the name but AR still has the formula and now produces it as the Brad Penn High Performance Oil. For you guys needing something between the 10w40 and 20w50 grades, they now have a 15w40 that may be just what you need.I work for Kimbro Oil in Nashville,Tn., we sell it so I have a little background on it.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I suggest you take a look at the "Flat-Tappet Oil" sticky at the top of this section - VOAs didn't look very good...
Old 01-25-2010, 12:22 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Can you give us a little more info, links, independent tests etc. thanks. Would like to take it to my buddy who has a couple thousand motors built with this stuff in it. Don't take this as sarcasm I am serious. If there is any verifiable data I would like to let him know
There are a number of VOA's posted on www.bobistheoilguy.com that show ZDDP well below what is claimed. VOAs can be questionable, and analysis from Blackstone Labs are not audited by anyone - so you (and he) will have to form their own impressions. Do you have any verifiable data for their claimed ZDDP level?

Posted VOAs for other oils were consistent with the manufacturer's claims.

FWIW, my machine shop sells and swears by this stuff too - but I've decided not to continue to use it.

Last edited by billla; 01-25-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

The whole idea behind this Brad Penn Racing oil was to have a high ZDDP content to fill an area in the market that was lacking. They even make a breakin oil. Personally I find it hard to believe that a company like this would be lying to the public to sell their product. Although it happens when they make the claim about the contents of their oil I tend to believe them.

My buddy changed to this oil after the big flat tappet going flat crisis in the last few years and builds many engines in one year. I do not think he would not be using and selling the stuff by the case if there were still any problems with the oil.

I will look over your info and pass it on to him, he has direct contact with them and I have personally talked to this company on the phone and got what I consider to very honest and consistent replies to my questions.

I would be very surprised if there claim of level of ZDDP or anything else to do with their oil was false, but I will look into it
I have to admit to some facination that you want verifiable data from me - but you're just willing to believe them and take their word. How about posting an MSDS or other information from them here? I agree - real data is important and they should be happy to provide it and I'm way open to anything they have

There are 4-5 VOAs for Brad Penn on the link below - as I note, do your own research

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...oard=11&page=1

Get notified of new replies

To BRAD PENN Racing oil partial synthetic

Old 01-25-2010, 01:05 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

OK, so I was bored Here are a couple random ones; I have to wait on a password reset for forum search on BITOG.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1452709
Phosph- 947
Zinc- 1113

http://stangnation.com/index.php?top...6313;topicseen
P: 698
Z: 820

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...49#Post1406749
P: 776
Z: 925

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...1406749&page=2
P:999
Z: 1178
AND:
P:903
Z: 1089

Last edited by billla; 01-25-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

I am tired of BS post what you want I am not posting in this thread anymore. I am here to help not fricken argue all the time
I'm not arguing with anyone. You asked for verifiable informaton on a comment I made - I provided it. I asked you for exactly the same thing - and you're taking it personally - and providing nothing.

I posted on this because there was a new post that brought it to the top of the list - and in reading it, I thought it was worth responding to.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Look, I was going to let this go and just walk away, but I'm trying to understand. Who's arguing, and why are you so angry? This is a pretty simple issue - the amount of ZDDP in a particular oil.

You made some claims.

I suggested some research might be in order.

You asked me why.

I posted why.

I asked you for verification for your claims.

BOOM!

No one's arguing - I just don't understand what you're continuing to go off-topic and play the martyr. If you don't like the forum to be "that way"...then stop making it "that way" by getting so wired over virtually nothing. Why not just post the information you have about the oil and let it go?

Last edited by billla; 01-25-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Quick Reply: BRAD PENN Racing oil partial synthetic