C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my 72 come with an electric or manual choke?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:47 AM
IcemanZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did my 72 come with an electric or manual choke?

So sorry for all these questions but I'm still trying to learn as much as possible about my recently acquired 72 coupe. It's my first carburated vehicle so it's all new to me.

Did 72's come with a manual or electric choke from the factory? If it was manual, where is the choke ****? Is it easy to convert from a manual choke carb to an electric choke or are major changes required? Any help you can provide or links you can direct me to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-09-2008, 09:27 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanZ06
So sorry for all these questions but I'm still trying to learn as much as possible about my recently acquired 72 coupe. It's my first carburated vehicle so it's all new to me.

Did 72's come with a manual or electric choke from the factory? If it was manual, where is the choke ****? Is it easy to convert from a manual choke carb to an electric choke or are major changes required? Any help you can provide or links you can direct me to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Your 72 didnt come with either a manual or electric.It came with an auto choke that sets when you step on the gas pedal.The choke has a spring that mounts on the intake that controls it among other things.Think its called a divorced choke.Look for Lars carb papers on this.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

The choke on your 72 should be mounted on the right side of the intake manifold, at the base of the carb. It will be a small, flat, spring steel, coil covered by a square, stamped steel cover. Through a hole in the top of the cover, a rod will run up to the butterfly linkage on the right side of the carb. If either or both the coil and/or rod are missing, then you have no choke and should replace them. Some after market intakes don't have provision for the choke coil and require using a manual choke or an aftermarket carb with an electric choke.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Should look something like this. This is my 71'. The choke is the thingy mounted to the intake manifold with the rod going up to the carb.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 AM
IcemanZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
Should look something like this. This is my 71'. The choke is the thingy mounted to the intake manifold with the rod going up to the carb.

Thanks, I'll compare mine to yours when I get home today.

Also, how difficult is it to swap to a newer Q-jet with an electric choke? I noticed a few vendors selling reman Q-jets with electric chokes and was curious if one would work on my application.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanZ06
Thanks, I'll compare mine to yours when I get home today.

Also, how difficult is it to swap to a newer Q-jet with an electric choke? I noticed a few vendors selling reman Q-jets with electric chokes and was curious if one would work on my application.
I'm not sure they make an electric choke conversion kit for the divorced style choke. I have an electric choke on my 78' Qjet but it has the choke on the side of the carb. Installation is simple, just run a key-on hot wire to it along with a ground.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Duke94
I'm not sure they make an electric choke conversion kit for the divorced style choke. I have an electric choke on my 78' Qjet but it has the choke on the side of the carb. Installation is simple, just run a key-on hot wire to it along with a ground.
Here is a link I stole from another thead.Roll down to #CU445
http://www.carburetion.com/quadrajet.asp
Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Here is a link I stole from another thead.Roll down to #CU445
http://www.carburetion.com/quadrajet.asp
That's what I have on my '71. I put on aluminum heads with no cross over, so I had to change to that electric choke. It works great. Better than the original. It takes 5 minutes to install and a few more minutes to configure it correctly.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by rcread
That's what I have on my '71. I put on aluminum heads with no cross over, so I had to change to that electric choke. It works great. Better than the original. It takes 5 minutes to install and a few more minutes to configure it correctly.
I think it was your post I stole the link from. Uh Oh am I in trouble?

Get notified of new replies

To Did my 72 come with an electric or manual choke?

Quick Reply: Did my 72 come with an electric or manual choke?