C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Starter safety switch ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:49 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Clutch/Starter safety switch ??

Seems I really have to push the clutch pedal into the mat before it will start. Just started recently. Can you adjust the switch ? Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what was the fix
Old 10-03-2008, 04:54 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes it is adjustable.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Yes it is adjustable.
Just curious as to where the adjustment is?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:36 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

There is a pic in post 4 that shows the safety switch.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...118&highlight=

EDIT-I've been thinking and I might be wrong about the switch being adjustable.I was thinking that I had adjusted them before but I must have only replaced them.Looking at the pic it looks as if changing the rod length would be the only way to adjust.

Last edited by ...Roger...; 10-03-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Binnie77
Just curious as to where the adjustment is?

Me to. I see it in the picture but the switch as I remember is just bolted to the bracket. Do you just bend the rod a little?

Ah you answered my/our question. I don't think the switch is moveable at all.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:22 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

My '74 is adjustble just like in the link pix of post #4. But u can bypass it if desired and problematic. Found mine not even working when a less than average garage manager reached in and turned the key that pushed my car forward - just lucky it didn't start! He explained he thought it was an auto - too dumb or lazy to look at the console stick shift. Another moment to remember. Another reason to do all my own mainentance no matter how easy or difficult.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
My '74 is adjustble just like in the link pix of post #4. But u can bypass it if desired and problematic. Found mine not even working when a less than average garage manager reached in and turned the key that pushed my car forward - just lucky it didn't start! He explained he thought it was an auto - too dumb or lazy to look at the console stick shift. Another moment to remember. Another reason to do all my own mainentance no matter how easy or difficult.
I know I am pretty dense at times, but where is the adjustment in that switch setup. I have the same switch and rod but I do not see how you can adjust it without having a longer rod.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0

Not recomended. I have heard many a story go bad on this. One in particular. Guy started up his car, owned it for many years and knew it inside and out. He had been working on the carbs, dual quad. Hit the key and it started wide open. He had one foot in the car other out. Car just laid rubber right through the back of the garage out heading into the woods. Luckily, if you can call it that a shelf above had a bucket of nuts and bolts. The engine ingested the nuts and blew on its way out the back into the woods. Ripped his foot almost off. he was out of commission for quite a while. To many bad stories on this. It is an easy fix for what could be a major disaster.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:05 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Yes bypassing is a bad idea for a street vehicle. Sobering story Gordon and i feel sorry for the driver.

cardo0
Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Anybody know if a 68 is adjustable......maybe I'm loosing it but I swear I've adjusted a clutch switch before.Maybe it was another car.Maybe its just the style of the switch.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch/Starter safety switch ??

Quick Reply: Clutch/Starter safety switch ??