C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching BB to SB hood and Vice versa

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default switching BB to SB hood and Vice versa

This is probably wishful thinking but is there a way to set things up, hinges, etc. so that if you want to switch back and forth from a BB and SB hood you can do it. WITHOUT TO MUCH RISK OF SCRATCHING YOUR PAINT!
Reason is I have a 383 in mine and I saw a very cool 383 emblem you can buy on Ricks Camaro's. It could be put on the BB hood and look really cool.

I love my car and the 383 but I can't get over that BB hood.

Maybe when I am done with this one I need a 69 BB project, color red!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi AW,
I have seen a set of hinges that do make it easier to get the hood on and off. There is a 'clevis' pin in the hinge that you remove. The hinge parts stay mounted on the hood and inner fender. I think to do what you're thinking would take 1 1/2 sets of the hinges. They are pretty pricey but look to be very well made. I'll try to remember where I saw the ad, or maybe some one else will.
The good part is you don't have to align the hood every time you put it back on.
Regards,
Aan
Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 AM
glassman74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi AW,
I have seen a set of hinges that do make it easier to get the hood on and off. There is a 'clevis' pin in the hinge that you remove. The hinge parts stay mounted on the hood and inner fender. I think to do what you're thinking would take 1 1/2 sets of the hinges. They are pretty pricey but look to be very well made. I'll try to remember where I saw the ad, or maybe some one else will.
The good part is you don't have to align the hood every time you put it back on.
Regards,
Aan
AW,Alan,
I read a member of CF suggested after you have your hood alined, to drill a 1/8 hole in each hinge and into hood. Then use a 1/8 pop rivit to aline when it is removed. Two hoods, two holes.

glassman74
Old 10-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi G74,
That's a pretty nice idea. AND a lot cheaper!!!!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To switching BB to SB hood and Vice versa

Quick Reply: switching BB to SB hood and Vice versa