C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Heater Shut off valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:59 AM
BrentDev
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C3 Heater Shut off valve

Hoping someone off today can help answer this question in the next hour....because I need to get the car back together in time to go pick up kid. Otherwise will put it back together the way it was and get it filled back up.

Flushing cooling today. Figured while I had the system dressed down would do this:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/joe...Shut-Off.shtml

Problem is -- I am going the amateurish way by using barbs instead of sodering a piece together.

But I can't find a large enough brass barb for my heater hose (have 3/4in ID). Did find it in NYLON though.

What is NYLON good for temp wise? Over in the heater section of pep boys, did see a lot of plastic barb connectors... so is plastic safe to use?

Or as it gets heated will it go brittle?

Still dont understand how I can get away with dead heading one side of this how it doesnt mess up the cooling system. But that is another discussion.

If anyone can answer over their lunch break -- much appreciated!!!!

Last edited by BrentDev; 10-13-2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: CRAP!!! meant NYLON -- NOT TEFLON
Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah the nylon nipple will work until you can get a brass nipple. I know they make them that big...I have found them at Ace hardware stores, and places like Lowes.

The heater shutoff doesn't affect cooling, in fact, it forces even more fluid through the regular cooling system which, if anything, might AID in cooling.

The only time having hot fluid circulating through the heater core will help is if you have the fan on max on a cold day.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 PM
BrentDev
Drifting

thanks DB. Went to lowes and HD. Havent tried ACE yet....gonna give them a call.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:12 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There is just a small amount of flow available through the heater outlet in the water pump...just enough outlet size for the heater. And when you block off that outlet, that flow then is available for the main cooling line. Nylon is OK for using..from a temperature standpoint...but is not "permanent" as it will age over time and eventually crack. Can you get to Lowe's (plumbing area) at lunch and pick up a brass barb instead? If not, use the nylon one and change it out when you can. Just use a big Vise-Grip to pinch off the heater line and you won't lose much coolant.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:14 PM
BrentDev
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
There is just a small amount of flow available through the heater outlet in the water pump...just enough outlet size for the heater. And when you block off that outlet, that flow then is available for the main cooling line. Nylon is OK for using..from a temperature standpoint...but is not "permanent" as it will age over time and eventually crack. Can you get to Lowe's (plumbing area) at lunch and pick up a brass barb instead? If not, use the nylon one and change it out when you can. Just use a big Vise-Grip to pinch off the heater line and you won't lose much coolant.
thanks....largest lowes and HD had was a 1/2 inch barb.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Garden hose is 5/8" or 3/4". Home Depot plumbing and gardening center is your friend.

Last edited by Paul L; 10-13-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 PM
shaggyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12, '19, '21

Here's the way I did it.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 PM
BrentDev
Drifting

thanks all -- gave up 2 hours, but finally found the parts.... works like a champ so far....can't find any leaks.

Thanks again!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentDev
thanks all -- gave up 2 hours, but finally found the parts.... works like a champ so far....can't find any leaks.

Thanks again!
Pics of the installation would help other members.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Are you still getting HOT air in the interior after the valva installl????
Old 10-16-2008, 09:46 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentDev
Hoping someone off today can help answer this question in the next hour....because I need to get the car back together in time to go pick up kid. Otherwise will put it back together the way it was and get it filled back up.

Flushing cooling today. Figured while I had the system dressed down would do this:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/joe...Shut-Off.shtml

Problem is -- I am going the amateurish way by using barbs instead of sodering a piece together.

But I can't find a large enough brass barb for my heater hose (have 3/4in ID). Did find it in NYLON though.

What is NYLON good for temp wise? Over in the heater section of pep boys, did see a lot of plastic barb connectors... so is plastic safe to use?

Or as it gets heated will it go brittle?

Still dont understand how I can get away with dead heading one side of this how it doesnt mess up the cooling system. But that is another discussion.

If anyone can answer over their lunch break -- much appreciated!!!!
Any auto store has the heater outlets you use in the pump and manifold. Same fittings.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

You can buy Brass NPT valves at any home supply store,
that is what I used, threaded them directly into the pump or manifold.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Heater Shut off valve

Quick Reply: C3 Heater Shut off valve