C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Wiper Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:03 AM
midweekwarrior
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 Wiper Motor

After long hours of troubleshooting and many-"whats? ! are you serious..." i have fixed my wiper motor. most of my other images are in facebook you have to be a member of facebook to see them.

here's the break down....

1) diagram for wiring...

http://willcoxcorvette.com/images/68...PER%20DIAG.JPG

2) make sure that your ground wire from the motor to the blower is a ground ! ! ....if you unplug both grounds check for an approx. 12v feedback on the ground plug into the wiper motor, if there is feedback trace the ground through the wiring harness-chances are that the ground is not connected to the correct starter bolt. The bolt that it is supposed to connect to is the one holding the starter into the engine block (it is roughly 4-6in)

checking this ground is the key for this wiper motor, once i found that the ground was connected improperly everything functioned fine.

3) make sure the wiper switch inside the cockpit is grounded. If your switch is not in the metal AC/wiper bezel (upper console) attach a wire from the actual switch to the steering wheel temporarily. (see image) my wire is located on the right side of the switch and runs to the steering wheel

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&id=103700850

4)check the 12v hot on the wiper motor power. This is pictured in the above diagram. It is a red/white wire (or in my case a solid red) that comes from the plugged wiper motor limit switch located right next to the mechanical device that controls it (pictured below)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&id=103700850

this device can be manually moved when all wires are detached from the motor to check for contact and depression

5) check power to the yellow center on the wiper motor (above diagram #2) this should have an approx. 12v when the switch is in the on position.

6) check the wiper switch relay located underneath the shifter console. make sure that both relays are plugged in correctly. <IE> the yellow wire on the two plug relay should line up with the black(#7 in the above diagram) wire on the three pronged relay

7)in my car the washer pump wires (yellow) and dark blue were cut on mine. i easily stowed these by placing red butt connectors on the end, crimping and then heat shrinking them.

8) now make sure the dash over-ride **** (located underneath the steering column) is not flowing power to the circuit <IE>turning towards the driver's seat

9)once all wires have been checked attach them in this order, ground, power and switch. Watch for smoke or other indicators of malfunction and there is your problem.

CHECK THE GROUND FIRST ! ! ! !
Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 AM
VTcivil
Advanced

When i turn my wipers of my wiper door closes too quick and mashes down on the wipers trying to return to the down position... any ideas? in the interim, I just use the manual valve before and after i turn my wipers on and off.

check you your facebook pics and we have something in common... my name is Ryan Connor... also a 72 vette.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Ryan,
The wiper valve in the wiper well, under the right side wiper arm, signals that the wipers are down and it's O.K. for the door to close. On your car it's not adjusted properly, and signaling for the door to close too soon.
Look at Your AIM, UPC1, Sheet D 6. It's item # 7.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 AM
VTcivil
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Ryan,
The wiper valve in the wiper well, under the right side wiper arm, signals that the wipers are down and it's O.K. for the door to close. On your car it's not adjusted properly, and signaling for the door to close too soon.
Look at Your AIM, UPC1, Sheet D 6. It's item # 7.
Regards,
Alan
Alan, thanks for the heads up. This makes sence. I don't have an assembly manual yet (i think that is what AIM means from my searching). I found them on Wilcox and will likey get a copy. For the time being I will look at my Service Manual and Shop Manual.

Last edited by VTcivil; 10-18-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi VT,
Having the factory ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTION MANUAL is really a big help in finding out where parts are and how they went together.
It takes some time to figure out where stuff is in the manual because there's an incredible amount of information in those pages.
The GM Chassis Service Manual is much more a ' how does it work' guide.
Regards,
Alan

PS: As an example the info I gave you is from the AIM, The Chassis Service Manual and Dr. Rebuild's Vacuum System Trouble Shooting Guide.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Wiper Motor

Quick Reply: 1972 Wiper Motor