C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fiber optic front wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Drizzle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiber optic front wiring question

I ordered the rear fiber kit, and wanted to see if it was a pain to hook up before i tackled the front. This past weekend, I did it in a few hours (not so bad) and I am happy with the results.

Now the front looks to be a lot different. The parking lights will be a breeze, like the rear lights. I am worried looking at the headlight assemblies. do I have to rerun the whole wiring harness to the headlights to get the fiber optics to work? for the rear, you just ran the fiber to the bulb and you were good, but the front harness (which I havent ordered yet so I cant look at), appears that you have to run all with the wires to the headlamps. Am I correct that I have to run all the wires to the headlights to get the fiber optics to work?

Thanks in advance.

--Donnie
Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The fiber optic strands are pushed into the electrical connector for the headlamps. The light is picked up from the glass protrusion on the back of the bulb. Make sure you keep [and reuse] the little black plastic tubes that are installed between the bulbs and the electrical connectors.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I replaced the whole harness, electric and fiber optic, when I did mine. It was much easier to do this way for me since the wiring had to be worked over anyway. Like was mentioned do not throw any thing away until you have your new harness installed and are happy with the results.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting the fiber optics to the front headlights was the easy part. For me the hard part was running the optic bundle to the console. Its tucked in there pretty well. I ended up pulling my entire dash out to properly install the cable. As Eddie suggested, I recommend you purchase the engine wiring harness with the optic bundle, but you may want to consider installing a new dash harness while everything is out. Its gets expensive, so you just may want to see if you can repair your existing optic bundle going to the headlights before you start replacing.

Oh and one more thing, I used The Last Detail for ordering Lectric Limited wiring harnesses. They were cheaper than going to Lectic Limited direct and shipping was fast. But before ordering from them I would check with Wilcox. They are a great supporting vendor and their prices seem to be unbeatable. They too might have a direct ship arrangement with Lectric Limited.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just out messing with my fiber optics...front left parking light doesn't light and right rear tail is dim. I will probably need to replace the rear tail light fiber unless I can figure out where the break is and line it up to shine brighter.

Can you order just single strands to replace single runs?

The car I am fiddling with now has no AC (1971), so the two vent sliders are preventing me from completely removing the console shift plate. I can feel a small hole towards the front of the *****, is there a tiny allen head set screw in there? Tried a small phillips and it didn't seem to be grabbing anything.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Drizzle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frogday
I was just out messing with my fiber optics...front left parking light doesn't light and right rear tail is dim. I will probably need to replace the rear tail light fiber unless I can figure out where the break is and line it up to shine brighter.

Can you order just single strands to replace single runs?

The car I am fiddling with now has no AC (1971), so the two vent sliders are preventing me from completely removing the console shift plate. I can feel a small hole towards the front of the *****, is there a tiny allen head set screw in there? Tried a small phillips and it didn't seem to be grabbing anything.

yep, tiny allen. I ordered the full rear kit from zip, I dont know if you can get single strands.

Get notified of new replies

To fiber optic front wiring question

Quick Reply: fiber optic front wiring question