C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with These Dam Brakes, Just Installed Power Booster.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 02:33 AM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with These Dam Brakes, Just Installed Power Booster.

Need help with these dam brakes, I just installed a rebuilt power brake booster and the brakes a very mushy and when I depress the brake pedal it seems that I am not compressing the master cylinder. Could the rebuilt Power Booster come with a very short shaft that compresses the master brake cylinder. “ I did not remove the brake lines from the master cylinder when I removed the Power Booster.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:55 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need Help with These Dam Brakes, Just Installed Power Booster. (73-454)

I have never done this but I guess that you could unbolt the master cylinder and check the travel of the shaft from the power booster. This should answer your question on if it is working. I suspect travel should be about and inch or so. Did you check vacuum to the booster as well?
Old 01-12-2002, 09:59 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need Help with These Dam Brakes, Just Installed Power Booster. (PatG)

you have to install the shaft correctly onto the power booster...

you turn the shaft to lengthen it so when u put the master cylinder on it, there is no "play" in the shaft..

so when u press the brake pedal, it will push the master cylinder piston in without having to travel any....

thats the best i can explain it...
Old 01-12-2002, 02:02 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need Help with These Dam Brakes, Just Installed Power Booster. (73-454)

I continue to learn here.I did not know that I was supposed to adjust the rod between the booster and master cylinder.I must have blundered into the correct setting because mine seems to be working fine.I hope it stays that way.i don't ever want to replace another brake booster.
Tankman :D

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help with These Dam Brakes, Just Installed Power Booster.

Quick Reply: Need Help with These Dam Brakes, Just Installed Power Booster.