C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter motor removal with headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Starter motor removal with headers

I burnt my fuse link on the starter extension harness. I need to remove the harness. I have a regular size starter with headers. I cannot remove the ground wire from the bolt which holds the starter to the engine block because the space between the starter and the collector of the header will not allow the bolt to be completely removed in order to remove the ground wire. My question is for those with regular size starters with headers do you remove the header to remove the bolt? When I replace the harness ground wire, could I clip the eye on the ground wire so I can slip the eye on the bolt? Would a mni starter solve this issue?
Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Just move your ground wire to another bolt on the block. I use the bolt that hold the bellhousing to the block for a ground wire. A mini starter sure makes a lot more room in there to work around and get the starter out. You may not have to remove the header. Just loosen the bolts tha thold it to the head and you should be able to swing the header an inch or two to allow you to get the bolt out.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a late '90's model truck starter. Mini, high torque, and easy to get and install. Someone may have a part number. I had a large starter with my Hooker headers and I managed to get the starter off.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has a lot to do with your header mfr too...For example no such problem with the Hedmans I run, though I would have to remove them to replace my idler arm.

Starter goes in and out in no time with the hedmans..they do prevent me from running a full quart filter though...

Each mfr poses its own issues I guess
Old 11-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Just move your ground wire to another bolt on the block. I use the bolt that hold the bellhousing to the block for a ground wire. A mini starter sure makes a lot more room in there to work around and get the starter out. You may not have to remove the header. Just loosen the bolts tha thold it to the head and you should be able to swing the header an inch or two to allow you to get the bolt out.
I have an auto tranny. Could I do the same, do I place the the ground wire in between the bell housing and engine block or do I just place it under the head of the bolt? If done either way mentioned would the aluminum housing be a good ground (Im a little doubtful)
Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
I have an auto tranny. Could I do the same, do I place the the ground wire in between the bell housing and engine block or do I just place it under the head of the bolt? If done either way mentioned would the aluminum housing be a good ground (Im a little doubtful)
Yes you can use the bellhousing bolt. The bolt is steel so it will conduct a good ground. Do not put it between the block and the trans, put a big eye on it preferably with a star washer under the bolt head. This will provide a good ground. I have the ground wire for my MSD and my electric fans and the factory ground all on this bolt. Works fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter motor removal with headers

Quick Reply: Starter motor removal with headers