C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Surface Preparation

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 AM
bytor
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Head Gasket Surface Preparation

I need a little direction from the folks here with experience replacing head gaskets. I have my heads off and removed the gaskets. The gasket came off relatively clean except for a little crud around the water passages and an outline of where the bead on the gasket contacted the deck. Some of the spots where the old gasket bead appear to be stained. You can see the outline of the old gasket. Is this just a stain of is it actually gasket material? What’s the best way to prepare the deck for a new gasket? Can I carefully use a gasket scraper for the crud, then a scotch brite pad or sanding block w/600 grit for the finishing touch? How clean does it need to be?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
GasketDude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Razor blade is less damaging than a gasket scraper. You may have to shave debris in layers but better than accidentally gouging of the surfaces. DO NOT use scotch brite pads as they can leave the fine grit everywhere, no matter how well you cover the area. That "grit" could eventually do damage. We always used a fine wire brush in a 90 deg grinder to clean the surfaces without damage to the surface finish. Which is very important in sealing performance. Even with this process the "staining" you mentioned is still visible but at least you know it's clean.

Don't forget to chase the cylinder bolt hole threads before reinstalling. Teflon sealer on the threads during reassembly will give good insurance against leakage later.

Hope this helps,
Later.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I always use a fresh razor blade in a holder to scrape the surface completely clean. Be very careful around the water passages because the razor blade can get caught and chip out and those pieces can fall in and then where the chips came out you can leave scratches. I always stuff some moist paper towels down in the cylinders and in the water passages to catch as much of the debris as I can and when you're done vacuum most of it before pulling the paper towels.

You'll have a little bit of trouble around the head alignment pins so go slow and be careful and remember, lots of extra light from drop lights will really help you here. Not the best time to be squinting in the dark.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

I just use the gasket scraper for the deck. I think it's impossible to gouge the cast iron with a scraper, and it's easier on my hands. I just wipe the surfaces with a clean shop towel and re-assemble. With aluminum heads I'm a little more careful with the scraper, but I still never gouged one. I don't use any abrasives on the mating surfaces. You don't want to sand any surface irregularities into them.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 PM
bytor
Instructor

Originally Posted by GasketDude
Don't forget to chase the cylinder bolt hole threads before reinstalling. Teflon sealer on the threads during reassembly will give good insurance against leakage later.
Can't seem to find a thread chase locally. Can I just use a tap or take an old head bolt and cut a small groove in it? I thought I read somewhere that using a tap as a chase was not a good idea because it removes some of the thread material.

Last edited by bytor; 11-25-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:41 PM
bytor
Instructor

tttt.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

This is the sweet thread restore kit

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00942275000P

I really wouldn't use a tap - people do, but as you note it's a cutting tool not a cleaning tool. Just use a bolt and clean 'em out best you can.

I generally wipe down the head and block deck with some brake cleaner before I make the change...and it's a good time to be SURE you didn't drop anything in the bore.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 PM
GasketDude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the type of tap is important as some can remove material because of the class of tap. Check the web for better explaination or your local tool and die supply for advise. The chasers are better, though the kits can be expensive for one time users. It is amazing though how many other times the kits come in handy.

Low buck way is to make some cuts to an existing bolt but making and mantaining the groove is important. I personally never used a cut bolt more than a few times in a jam and never for 34 bolt holes on a block I spent time and money on.

I've seen many heads and blocks scratched from guys in a hurry with an old scraper from the bottom of the screwdriver drawer. Just seems with a razor blade with holder/handle people are a little more carefull and slow down with such a sharpe blade.

Why are the heads off in the first place?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:04 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Well the type of tap is important as some can remove material because of the class of tap. Check the web for better explaination or your local tool and die supply for advise. The chasers are better, though the kits can be expensive for one time users. It is amazing though how many other times the kits come in handy.

Low buck way is to make some cuts to an existing bolt but making and mantaining the groove is important. I personally never used a cut bolt more than a few times in a jam and never for 34 bolt holes on a block I spent time and money on.

I've seen many heads and blocks scratched from guys in a hurry with an old scraper from the bottom of the screwdriver drawer. Just seems with a razor blade with holder/handle people are a little more carefull and slow down with such a sharpe blade.

That's true. If they treat their tools like junk, they are not going to get the best results from them.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:05 AM
bytor
Instructor

Low buck way is to make some cuts to an existing bolt but making and maintaining the groove is important. I personally never used a cut bolt more than a few times in a jam and never for 34 bolt holes on a block I spent time and money on.
Thanks for the feedback, I found a thread chase locally after all.

I'm doing a Vortec head and cam swap.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:37 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default gasket tool

pocketknife (small & inexpensive) ... works great, is easily resharpened & affords some emergency protection. An essential that's right up there with baling wire, visegrip & wd40.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default gasket abrasive

3M Bristle Disc (Non-radial) ... they leave very little scat, safe & easy on decks-heads (much easier than fuzzy rolocs), also OK with aluminum. No BS, that 3" yellow one works great for me ... does Not cut bore-deck between cylinders like a fuzzy roloc can. When used behind a pocketknife, one will do 2-3 motors w/ heads. Alum heads/blocks should use a white bristle disc (fine).

An electric drill won't spin these fast enough; you need a die grinder etc.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...d=GSJJHB5N8Vge

when I get done scraping/cleaning off the decks of an assembled short block ... I vacuum out the bores around piston tops ... then lite spritz em with brake/carb cleaner ... and vacuum them again. Then wipe everything down with carb/brake cleaner etc.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:37 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Non abrasive wheel - like a scotch pad on a wheel.

Sorry can't recall the terminology. Most are redish brown wheels that look like scotch pad material but a lot coarser and attach into your hand drill chuck.
U want the surface squeky clean but leave the original machine marks unchanged - the block is machine to a specification for roughness. Yes removing the old gasket material is a job and a half to remove by hand (I've been there) but this should speed things up for u. Vacuum and i clean with alcohol before installing the new gaskets.

Hope this helps,
cardo0

Get notified of new replies

To Head Gasket Surface Preparation

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Surface Preparation