C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

950 commander/edelbrock performer air gap

Old 12-03-2008, 08:40 PM
louie69
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 950 commander/edelbrock performer air gap

Has anyone sized to fit the holley commander 950 fuel injection system (hol950-22s -4 barrel) on top of the small block edelbrock performer air gap?
Does the set fit under the stock (1969) small block hood with the factory air filter?
Worst case, can anyone share the dimensions of the 950 unit?
Let me know,thanks.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Mad Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning the on using the Holley TBI also on my engine part # 950-24S on my 71. I have gone through all of the forum archives on possible manifold carb combination that will fit under a stock 71 hood. And which manifold is best for my type of engine ( high revving 383 ) a single plane or dual plane. I ended up choosing the Weiand Team G because of recommendations from other forum members and my engine builder and because of the height. The stock cast iron manifold is 3' high in the front 4" in the back the Team G is 3.63" in the front 4.56 in the back, so it's about 5/8" higher overall I think thats enough clearance to fit under my hood with a stock air cleaner. The Performer Air Gap measures 3.72" in the front and 4.92" in the back so overall your carb manifold height about 1" it might be tight. Did you do a forum search I believe there are other members running the Performer Air Gap? Which manifold will fit is a common question here I think someone proposed making it a sticky. Here is picture of my throttle body with air cleaner it's about the same hight as the stock Q-jet but you will need a carb to air cleaner spacer of about 1" to fit almost any kind of air cleaner. Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

I run the Holley 4Di, which is the 950 predecessor. The throttle body is lower in overall height than the original Q-jet. I have an RPM air-gap on the shelf that I will bolt on later this winter. I have a stock '79 hood.
Bee Jay

Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 PM
louie69
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your responses - at least I know theres opportunity to use these manifolds with the 950 set-up without going to another hood or worse.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:33 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
I run the Holley 4Di, which is the 950 predecessor. The throttle body is lower in overall height than the original Q-jet. I have an RPM air-gap on the shelf that I will bolt on later this winter. I have a stock '79 hood.
Bee Jay
I have bought an old but NIB 4Di Projection system for few $hundred. I currently have a Holley 600 cfm carb on a GM Vortec intake. I needed a 1 1/2" drop base to get it to fit under the stock '80 hood. The lower throttle body of the Holley TBI unit may cause a clearance problem under the air cleaner base. You won't have that problem with an Air Gap, but you still may need a drop base.

(Bee Jay, I may be contacting you for map info.
Do you use the Holley software or Achart Pro to program the 4Di?)
Old 12-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I have bought an old but NIB 4Di Projection system for few $hundred. I currently have a Holley 600 cfm carb on a GM Vortec intake. I needed a 1 1/2" drop base to get it to fit under the stock '80 hood. The lower throttle body of the Holley TBI unit may cause a clearance problem under the air cleaner base. You won't have that problem with an Air Gap, but you still may need a drop base.

(Bee Jay, I may be contacting you for map info.
Do you use the Holley software or Achart Pro to program the 4Di?)
I had to find a very small fuel pressure gauge to fit under my drop base air cleaner. You can see the spacer for the air cleaner, but if I trim the throttle linkeage a little, I can lose that too. I'm not aware of Achart Pro? What is that? I tried many of the Holley maps included with the 4Di, and then stumbled on one that worked great with some mods. Email me, I'll be glad to help.
Bee Jay
PS I plan to buy an L-88 or other high rise hood later for more clearance, cold air, and weight savings. Not in the Christmas budget though.

Get notified of new replies

To 950 commander/edelbrock performer air gap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 950 commander/edelbrock performer air gap