C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Aluminum Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:23 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Default Cheap Aluminum Radiators

You may have noticed all the low priced aluminum radiators available today. There seems to be another player pop up every other week and they are selling units at 50% less than our retail. What's happening?
We are being invaded by imported products, that are brand labled by some distributor in the usa, and sold at discounted prices. Some of these are complete radiators but most of them are radiator cores. The term "cores" is highly mis-used when talking about radiators as most people are refering to the number of "rows" or tubes. Radiator cores are the heart of any radiator. It is the main cooling section that consists of the tubes, fins, and headers. Below is a photo of what a true core actually is.

Many things go into making a high quality core. You may not be able to tell the difference between a good core and a bad one because they will look identical. The process used to make a core is called CAB brazing, which stands for Controlled Atmosphere Brazing. This is done in a very high tech brazing furnace and the process requires very detailed control over every phase of the process. Headers have to be stamped in quality metal dies to insure a very accurate tube to header joints and then cleaned to remove any stamping oils. Cores need to be assembled in quality fixtures, by skilled technicians, to insure an accurate size and condition. Once assembled, the cores need to be fluxed coated which the is key to building a quality core. Poor fluxing will result in a poor tube to fin bond and the cooling performance will be greatly affected.
Finally, the core is brazed in a furnace

DeWitts Radiator is the only company offering Corvette radiators in the USA that owns a CAB furnace and makes their own cores. Other companies will import the cores, from who ever offers the lowest price, and add the end tanks to build them into radiators. The quality of those cores are simply unknown to both the supplier and the final customer. They could be under brazed, over brazed, poor cleaning or fluxing, poor fin bond, and/or distorted shape. Many times they will work for a while, then leak later when a poor braze breaks loose.
The investment to set up a cab furnace is huge and nobody wants to do it when you can just buy cheap cores from china. There are about three U.S. companies that braze and sell aluminum cores compared to about 260 in China. They are all competing for the gready U.S. market.
Another fact that is not well known is many big name radiator companies don't actually make radiators at all. That's right...I'm not going to name names but you would be surprised to find out what goes on behind the scenes.
I truely believe in the theory, "you get what you pay for" and that couldn't apply more here. I also feel it's time we take notice to what we have done to our domestic manufacturing industry by always buying stuff based on price only and shipping our jobs away. I hope this information helps people make an educated decision when considering a new radiator for your Corvette.

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 12-28-2008 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EMoneyTheGreat (03-12-2020)
Old 12-27-2008, 11:55 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Some good points ... top quality ain't cheap ... both product & service.

Also, it seems at least one VERY popular US hot rod rad maker doesn't rely upon brazing but simply bonds-seals its tube to header w/ epoxy ... I'm kinda dyslexic today, name thinks niffirg me is.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 AM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I am not a huge "buy only American" believer as I want to buy the best product I can afford that gets the job done right. If an import is truely made as good or better then I would look at it - I own a few tools made in Germany and other places.

Your write up wasn't just a "buy American" piece but it showed me that your product is made through a superior process and I will definetly look at your product when I buy my next radiator. A cheaper price doesn't mean much if the product doesn't do the job.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:04 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
DeWitts Radiator is the only company offering Corvette radiators in the USA that owns a CAB furnace and makes their own cores.
Are there any companies offering 2nd gen Firebird radiators in the US that own a CAB furnace? I already have your radiator in my Corvette and now I'm going to need to cool a 455.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:11 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rcread
Are there any companies offering 2nd gen Firebird radiators in the US that own a CAB furnace?
Nope! CAB furnaces are very expensive to buy and operate and that's why nobody wants to do it. I felt it was the only way I could control the quality and stand behind the finished product.

If you fax us a sketch, maybe we can make the firebird?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
You may have noticed all the low priced aluminum radiators available today. There seems to be another player pop up every other week and they are selling units at 50% less than our retail. What's happening?
We are being invaded by imported products, that are brand labled by some distributor in the usa, and sold at discounted prices. Some of these are complete radiators but most of them are radiator cores. The term "cores" is highly mis-used when talking about radiators as most people are refering to the number of "rows" or tubes. Radiator cores are the heart of any radiator. It is the main cooling section that consists of the tubes, fins, and headers. Below is a photo of what a true core actually is.

Many things go into making a high quality core. You may not be able to tell the difference between a good core and a bad one because they will look identical. The process used to make a core is called CAB brazing, which stands for Controlled Atmosphere Brazing. This is done in a very high tech brazing furnace and the process requires very detailed control over every faze of the process. Headers have to be stamped in quality metal dies to insure a very accurate tube to header joints and then cleaned to remove any stamping oils. Cores need to be assembled in quality fixtures, by skilled technicians, to insure an accurate size and condition. Once assembled, the cores need to be fluxed coated which the is key to building a quality core. Poor fluxing will result in a poor tube to fin bond and the cooling performance will be greatly affected.
Finally, the core is brazed in a furnace

DeWitts Radiator is the only company offering Corvette radiators in the USA that owns a CAB furnace and makes their own cores. Other companies will import the cores, from who ever offers the lowest price, and add the end tanks to build them into radiators. The quality of those cores are simply unknown to both the supplier and the final customer. They could be under brazed, over brazed, poor cleaning or fluxing, poor fin bond, and/or distorted shape. Many times they will work for a while, then leak later when a poor braze breaks loose.
The investment to set up a cab furnace is huge and nobody wants to do it when you can just buy cheap cores from china. There are about three U.S. companies that braze and sell aluminum cores compared to about 260 in China. They are all competing for the gready U.S. market.
Another fact that is not well known is many big name radiator companies don't actually make radiators at all. That's right...I'm not going to name names but you would be surprised to find out what goes on behind the scenes.
I truely believe in the theory, "you get what you pay for" and that couldn't apply more here. I also feel it's time we take notice to what we have done to our domestic manufacturing industry by always buying stuff based on price only and shipping our jobs away. I hope this information helps people make an educated decision when considering a new radiator for your Corvette.

Happy Holidays!
It will go down in the history books the worst mistake this country ever made was opening up trade with china.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:46 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
It will go down in the history books the worst mistake this country ever made was opening up trade with china.
, India, SE Asia, Mexico, Japan, millions of slaves working to undermine what is basically OUR jobs....

Old 12-27-2008, 08:04 PM
combustables
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to radiators, Tom, what about Becool and Ron Davis radiators? Aren't they made the same way ?
Old 12-27-2008, 08:26 PM
SmokinBBC
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Tom DeWitt;1568341313]

If you fax us a sketch, maybe we can make the firebird?[/QUOTE]

Old 12-27-2008, 11:24 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

i think aluminium radiators are great that they cool slightly better. if they are just a cheap replacement radiator like the ones with plastic tanks for example then thats great too as most ppl can afford to throw it out every 5-8 years or so when it has taken some punishment but when you get a custom one made or a big dollar replacement and it leaks 6 months down the track due to a smash/electrolysis/corrosion etc etc they arent worth it. they can't be repaired like a copper/brass radiator or get a new core every 10years if need be , thats why ill be sticking to that style from now on.having said that dewitts is the only aluminium rad i would have if i couldnt have a copper/brass one.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 PM
worms713
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, will that CAB make pizza too....
Really good info Tom, thanks!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:30 AM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info Tom ,

Honestly, I have one of those cheap aluminum radiators from fleabay and haven't had any major issues with it.

I was able to get a aluminum radiator and dual spal fans for $100 less than the cost of one of your radiators alone.

I'm 100% sure it's no where near the quality of your radiators, but given the choice of spending $700 - 800 for one of your radiator / dual spal combos or saving $400 + and going the eBay radiator / spal route....I chose to save the money.

Same reason I have 17" Cragar replica's on my car.....I saved $500 - 600 on those (versus actual Cragars) and they serve my purpose.

I figured I'll get bashed for my choice, but it is MY choice and am totally happy with it.....in the end the better deal (for me) won.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Tom,
I remember when you first introduced your small block radiator. It was something I didn't think would EVER be reproduced.
As the first few years went by it came DOWN in price!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by combustables
Back to radiators, Tom, what about Becool and Ron Davis radiators? Aren't they made the same way ?
Yes, both those companies use CAB brazed cores, but they buy the cores from another source. The finished product is only as good as the core that they bought from somewhere else.

Both these companies fabricate the end tanks from flat sheet and box it up with a press break. We use press formed end tanks, which again, cost more money to invest in press forming dies.

RD welds the end tanks on in house however becool contracts the assembly process out to a third party.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:37 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I was going to do the aluminum radiator/ electric fan project next year. Then at the end of this season my radiator started leaking. So I ordered the combo set from DeWitts.

The installation went smoothly. My 72 does run cooler now than with the original radiator. I pulled out the old setup and ordered a few minor items from Corvette Central before the new setup arrived. This gave me some time to do some cleanup work in that area.

The new combo unit looks great and operates nicely. Long after the units were paid for, I will be enjoying the quality of this piece. I know this radiator will outlive me.

Thanks to DeWitts from another satisfied customer.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I don't know if Tom remembers this but I was lucky enough to have saved an old radiator from my first Vette wayyyy back when. It was worth some $$$ and a few years ago Tom traded me that for a new aluminum radiator for my 69 BB.

It simply eliminated a chronic overheating problem that I had been trying to solve since I bought the car. Believe me I had tried everything but it still had problems on hot days until I changed to Tom's radiator. Now I can drive the car in 90+ temps and not even worry. Another for DeWitts here.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Nemesis_152
Pro

very cool explanation of your processes tom, but i'd check to make sure you have every phase of the build under precise control, lest it get away from you

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap Aluminum Radiators

Old 12-28-2008, 02:17 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Tom,

I have to absolutely be up front and honest with you. The first time I saw one of your posts, I thought you were arrogant.

Well, jump ahead many months and I own one of your radiators. That is due to my good, fellow forum members talking about your products fit and finish.

Your radiator made #6 that I installed in my 69 small block car, that was canverted to a 71 454 LS-5 engine(some manufacturers just can't get it right). Your radiator is the last one that my car will ever see. Even if I wear that radiator out, it will be replaced with exactly the same one. I love it. I mounted a Lincoln Mark VII fan (because I had it) on it and I've not overheated yet. And that's in the southern AZ heat of 115* sometimes.

Thank you Tom, for taking the money and time to open your business.

Some may disagree, just like I did at first, but if they need a quality radiator at a very FAIR price, they'll come around.

BBTank
Old 12-28-2008, 02:57 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Hey Tom,

I posted a thread a month or so ago about cheap-@#$% parts when I had to replace a brand new headlight Vacuum actuator and Headlight Switch (was new out of the box and required pulling the dash apart to replace). I have always been willing to spend a little more to get something of quality that I don't have to replace in a few months and ussually right after any warranty period is over. Especially electrical parts from foreign countries that Vendors won't allow you to return once you open them up even if they are junk.

You know where I buy my radiators.

Thanks,

Joe..

Old 12-28-2008, 03:38 PM
hansenisu
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

I have only DeWitts in my two cars and will never have anything else regardless of price. You guys rule for performance and original appearance!

Quick Reply: Cheap Aluminum Radiators