C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter issues - overrunning clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 AM
GunPowder
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Starter issues - overrunning clutch?

And again a starter thread

My starter spins freely a few times (2 to 3 times) before he cranks the engine properly and with no strange noise. With a warm engine/starter the starter usually cranks the engine at the first time.
The troubleshooting chapter in the Haynes shop manual says the overruning clutch in the starter could be faulty.

I have checked the teeth on the flywheel and starter gear - they are in a pretty good shape. I also changed the solenoid - no change in behavior.

Since I am not brave enough to go under the car while cranking/starting the engine I would ask for your experienced hearing (see VIDEO. Btw: about 2° Celsius/35° Fahrenheit at this time).

Is it the clutch in the starter or something completely different?

Thanks for your help!
Dirk
Old 12-28-2008, 11:29 AM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The overrunning clutch is a part of the starter drive. They get gummed up inside and when cold act like you describe. When warm they will work properly. Replace the starter drive and you should be good to go. If you have a stock Chevy starter it helps to have the tool to remove and install the snap ring that holds the drive to the shaft. You can use other methods but they usually spread the ring and it doesn't fit in the groove properly.

If you not worried about numbers matching a good quality rebuilt starter is pretty much a plug and play swap. Just pay close attention to the wiring so the wires go back where they came off.

Pay close attention to the black ground wire with the large ring terminal!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 AM
GunPowder
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Fordman
If you not worried about numbers matching a good quality rebuilt starter is pretty much a plug and play swap. Just pay close attention to the wiring so the wires go back where they came off.
Thanks!
I will go for a new starter (since the current one is already an aged replacement).

The small ground wire with the large ring terminal goes to to right starter bolt (AFAIK) - anything other to care about?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

The overrunning clutch is a part of the starter drive. They get gummed up inside and when cold act like you describe. When warm they will work properly. Replace the starter drive and you should be good to go. If you have a stock Chevy starter it helps to have the tool to remove and install the snap ring that holds the drive to the shaft. You can use other methods but they usually spread the ring and it doesn't fit in the groove properly.

Totally but would like to add that I usually reinstall the small black ground wire with large terminal to one of the bellhousing bolts-it works the same,it wont try to spin and tear off the wire and it wont get confused with where it goes the next time the starter is removed.
Also if you lube the shaft that the starter drive slides on it will probably take care of your problem.If you get a new starter it might not fit like the old one and you might have to go through the PITA shimming process.If you still choose to buy the new starter keep your old starter for a couple weeks until your sure the rebuilt or new starter works good.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter issues - overrunning clutch?

Quick Reply: Starter issues - overrunning clutch?