C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosing a possible spun rod bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
alanbl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing a possible spun rod bearing

'72 small block with hookers, sidepipes, Edelbrock heads, Weiand intake. There is a dull thunk sound coming from the lower vicinity of the engine. I was over at Lar's Viking Bar and his theory is a spun bearing. I have no reason to doubt Lars but was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for verifying this without pulling the oil pan or just revving it up until a rod pushes through the oil pan.

Any other armchair theories?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

With the engine running, pull the plug wire at the cap of the suspected cylinder and the heavy knocking noise should diminish if a rod bearing is suspect. Otherwise pull the oil pan.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Kelso
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you notice a drop in oil pressure?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Paul71LT1
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default spun bearing

I went through this about 2 years ago with a '73. The definitive test is to pull the pan and check the rods one at a time. Before you do that, take a close look at the oil pressure. You have a mechanical gauge that reads pressure dierctly from the oil system via a capillary tube. If you know where the oil pressure typically was with your car, at idle and when crusing at a steady speed, you see a noticible drop in pressure if you have in fact lost a bearing. Mine was down 20 psi. I ended up dropping the pan, and found the culprit on the second rod cap I pulled. There was a piece of silicone rubber in the oil hole feeding that bearing from the crank that had blocked flow and starved that bearing, courtesy of some previous owner who was a little careless with the sealant. Pulling the pan is not that hard to do. Remove the two bolts holding the idler arm to the right frame rail and just let the steering linkage sag, then the pan will come right out.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:29 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not a spun bearing but rather a rod ready to let go.

A spun bearing will generally make a lighter tick, tack sound initially.

I would most certainly not be running the engine RPM's up at all. It is gonna let go, it's just a matter of when...

I agree with the the above mentioned pull individual plug wires test. That's a good way to ascertain if it's a rod knock.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There are no other ways. It it is a rod knock, as you already know it will increase with engine speed. You can rev it a little. You will have to pull the pan to take a look. No two ways around it.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Pull the oil filter and cut it open, if there's metal, don't waste your time pulling the pan, pull the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Diagnosing a possible spun rod bearing

Quick Reply: Diagnosing a possible spun rod bearing