C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipes + muffler (flowmaster)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:26 PM
78vette78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y pipes + muffler (flowmaster)

Im still debating if i should get dual with h or x pipe for my 78 vette.

BUT what if i leave the stock Y pipes and jus get new mufflers. Like flow master or spintech.

Do you guys know if it will make any sound difference and will it sound good if i just stay with my Y pipes + new mufflers?????????????????
Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I ran my 78 L-82 4spd for years until it was 25 years old with the stock Y head pipe and stock rear Y pipe with a test pipe (No Cat) and Monza turbo mufflers. It sounded really quite good. After 25 years I added true 2.5 in duals and after that McJack's shorty headers with the same mufflers. It got MUCH louder and meaner (all good!) with the duals since the exhaust will flow 4X times more air with the 2.5 in duals versus a single 2.5 restrcition where the cat was (thermo dynamcis, not 2x the air). The shorty headers after the duals were installed (3 years later) made the exhaust incrementally louder with that change alone. I always make incremental changes rather than wholesale changes to gauge the effect. Mufflers and a test pipe may be the way to go for you since every two years it will take you 10 minutes to bolt in the cat for the inspection and then put the test pipe back in after the ridiculous smog test! Hope that helps!

Last edited by jb78L-82; 01-04-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 78vette78
Im still debating if i should get dual with h or x pipe for my 78 vette.

BUT what if i leave the stock Y pipes and jus get new mufflers. Like flow master or spintech.

Do you guys know if it will make any sound difference and will it sound good if i just stay with my Y pipes + new mufflers?????????????????
Yes there will be some difference in the sound..for best effect have a muffler shop fabricate custom Y-pipes for you.. 2.5" from the exhaust manifolds with a smooth transition to a 3" pipe..go through a 3" cat conv. then have another custom y-pipe 3" to 2.5" and out through mufflers of your choice.

rear-y-pipe

front y-pipe

3" cat.

Factory front y-pipe is really nothing more than a T-pipe it merges at 90 degrees to the flow of the other bank which is just plain horrid... a smooth merge will be much better.

Last edited by fauxrs2; 01-04-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Y pipes + muffler (flowmaster)

Quick Reply: Y pipes + muffler (flowmaster)