C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 oil pan question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 PM
DJordan442
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 427 oil pan question

not sure if my oil pan is original GM piece and would like to know how i can tell if it is. I put 6 quarts in and doesnt register on the dipstick until 8 quarts - looks filled at around 9 quarts. stock dipstick from corvette central. car is a 69 427/400. thanks for any help
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Chris Johnson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJordan442
not sure if my oil pan is original GM piece and would like to know how i can tell if it is. I put 6 quarts in and doesnt register on the dipstick until 8 quarts - looks filled at around 9 quarts. stock dipstick from corvette central. car is a 69 427/400. thanks for any help
Be very careful putting that much oil in! I have a Milodon oil pan on my 565 that holds 7 quarts. I find it hard to believe that yours holds 9 quarts ... If you've replaced the dipstick, then find out how much your oil pan is supposed to hold, fill it with that much, then mark the dipstick...

Too much oil is worse than being low on oil. The counterweights on the crank are going to be splashing thru the oil, causing hydraulic shock. Kinda like what would happen if you stuck your arm in the water in a speedboat going 60 mph...

Quick Reply: 427 oil pan question