C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearend Question Regarding SBC - BBC Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Rearend Question Regarding SBC - BBC Conversion

I see many posts on here in regards to small block to big block conversions. My question is, since the factory big blocks came with a heavy duty rearend is there an issue in using a big block with a standard rearend? How many of you changed rearends when you did the conversion?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:25 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

The rear end itself isn't any different or heavy duty really. The only real change was the u-joints were retained with caps instead of straps which is pretty insignificant in the big picture. That won't be the part that breaks.

Depending on the use of slicks or real sticky tires...a stock one can last a pretty good while. I've had more trouble with the outer stub shafts breaking long before anything in the differential. Traction is the killer. For example...a buddy with a relatively mild high 12 sec 327 has broken 4 diff's in his '65. Since we put a 575HP 388" in it he hasn't broken anything. Now it just spins instead of hooking up! Problem with the 327 was it didn't have enough power to break the tires loose!

You need good solid Spicer ujoints, maybe later model 3" halfshafts...but easier and probabaly cheaper to just get new ones made out of even better material. Do a search here on *Shouldn't be here* for what he did to his C-3. After that the Tom's outer stubs will last forever...don't bother with cheap alternatives. Get good stuff.

JIM

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 05-29-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:22 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much HP and torque you fun will certainly have an impact on what rear end is right for the particular car, as will traction, transmission and how you plan to use it. That being said:

The 80-82 cars have an aluminium differential and there are many opinions out there on their strength or lack of it. Some guys have been okay with them, others like myself have adapted an older iron differential to that aluminium "batwing". The other issue is the carrier itself. If you do a search, I think you'll find many threads on what can be done to the inside of the differential to strengthen them.

I also agree with the comments from 427hotrod. When you're talking about conversions, rarely is anything as easy as it seems!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Shouldn't be here = Ajrothm on CF

Get notified of new replies

To Rearend Question Regarding SBC - BBC Conversion

Quick Reply: Rearend Question Regarding SBC - BBC Conversion