C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear spindles with grease fittings

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:45 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Bearings wear even with the proper amount of grease - they are a wear item. pumping more grease into them is not going to do anything...
Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Blue79
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When re-doing my spindle bearings and after slathering them up real good with a quality synthetic grease, I added about a half-pint of gear oil before attaching and closing. No leaks. 6 years. (low mileage) Should help prevent grease dry-out.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I agree.. when I had mine swapped, i asked the mechanic about them and he said that if your rear bearings are needing greased, it's too late for them.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue79
When re-doing my spindle bearings and after slathering them up real good with a quality synthetic grease, I added about a half-pint of gear oil before attaching and closing. No leaks. 6 years. (low mileage) Should help prevent grease dry-out.
How do you add half a pint of gear oil to grease filled bearings?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aflac
I agree.. when I had mine swapped, i asked the mechanic about them and he said that if your rear bearings are needing greased, it's too late for them.
Well if you had grease fittings you could grease a little so the old grease will not dry out.Still though ,all of these ideas are still personal hypothesis,not facts, we need facts.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:08 AM
69elky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zerk

The concept is good,but I beleive you will only get the inner side serviced and you have to supply a measured amount and if over serviced will push out the seals.The Corvette Service manual covers greasing the rear bearings with the Kent Moore tooling and with a caution of a measured amount of grease applied as so you do not push the seal out.The carrier with the zerk fitting makes it a easier to service then the servicing adapter.Half is better then not I guess,just be prudent.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 69elky
The concept is good,but I beleive you will only get the inner side serviced and you have to supply a measured amount and if over serviced will push out the seals.The Corvette Service manual covers greasing the rear bearings with the Kent Moore tooling and with a caution of a measured amount of grease applied as so you do not push the seal out.The carrier with the zerk fitting makes it a easier to service then the servicing adapter.Half is better then not I guess,just be prudent.
We are talking about the total spindle setup that the spindle people company makes,they have grease fittings on both front and backtring to find info about them,
Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 PM
69elky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay,back at ya
Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 69elky
Okay,back at ya

dont understand,you can get grease to the rear bearing and front bearing too.are you saying its a good product or not?And is your opinion a personal one ,not fact based? again i respect your view point but im looking for the facts about this product and it seems that this is one subject that this forum doesnt know about.I didnt think it was possible Alot of very knowegable people here.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Billy,
I think most have stated the zerks are not required when the bearings are properly built. There's not much more to say? Sounds like you want them so go for it, Ask them what spec they set them up to and how they build them. If you like what they say then buy them.
The zerks are just fittings tapped where the race and cage meet, I still think it's more hype then needed but if you like it and it will make you feel better they should be fine. Just be sure they're in the 0015-002 endplay range and check it when you get them.
Good luck
Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Billy,
I think most have stated the zerks are not required when the bearings are properly built. There's not much more to say? Sounds like you want them so go for it, Ask them what spec they set them up to and how they build them. If you like what they say then buy them.
The zerks are just fittings tapped where the race and cage meet, I still think it's more hype then needed but if you like it and it will make you feel better they should be fine. Just be sure they're in the 0015-002 endplay range and check it when you get them.
Good luck
OK thanks ,dont know what im doing yet but i am leaning towards buying them.Just hoping more people on here were using them or had used them.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:58 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Billysvette
Well if you had grease fittings you could grease a little so the old grease will not dry out.Still though ,all of these ideas are still personal hypothesis,not facts, we need facts.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:06 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

OK thanks ,don't know what I'm doing yet but i am leaning towards buying them.Just hoping more people on here were using them or had used them.
Billys - Go ahead and order them, as i did. They work! You will never have to "visit" or think about both the inner and outer rear bearings again.

Most that have said "nay" on them in this thread have never had a rear bearing go south, such as I did. And I never have beat on my car since I am the original owner! They just wore out.

Again, all I can say is that I installed them way back in 1982, greased then once or twice since they are still fine! Would the company that sold them to me in 1982 still be in business today if their product was inferior?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by babbah
Billys - Go ahead and order them, as i did. They work! You will never have to "visit" or think about both the inner and outer rear bearings again.

Most that have said "nay" on them in this thread have never had a rear bearing go south, such as I did. And I never have beat on my car since I am the original owner! They just wore out.

Again, all I can say is that I installed them way back in 1982, greased then once or twice since they are still fine! Would the company that sold them to me in 1982 still be in business today if their product was inferior?
Yep im leaning towards getting them,there is no bad info on them and they have been in business for a long time now and still selling them.
thanks Bill
Old 02-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, if nothing else- you're persistant.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:48 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Billy,
Good luck

I've been reading this thread and it sounds to me you have made your mind up. Try them, one of two things will happen

1 You may become the poster child for them
2 You may become the biggest basher for them

Time will tell. My belief, if the factory knew this to be a problem they would of installed grease fitting around 74 or 75. Heck the T/A was around since 63 I believe

Good Luck
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Well, if nothing else- you're persistant.
Yes sir,i will be spending some good coin on this and i really needed some help in deciding.

Get notified of new replies

To rear spindles with grease fittings

Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spedaleden

I've been reading this thread and it sounds to me you have made your mind up. Try them, one of two things will happen

1 You may become the poster child for them
2 You may become the biggest basher for them

Time will tell. My belief, if the factory knew this to be a problem they would of installed grease fitting around 74 or 75. Heck the T/A was around since 63 I believe

Good Luck
On the contrary.i wasnt decided on what to buy,if you guys would have given me some bad info on the spindle setup and had crediable evidence i would have dropped my asperations to buy the setup and just went with sealed units like alot of people,BUT nobody had any evidence that it was a bad product.Im still not 100 % sure,but what can i do ,i can wait a little longer and maybe somebody will chime in and say something bad about them and have evidence to back it up.All i have crediable is a guy that has bought them and has had no trouble with them and had them on the car for a long time now.come on what would you do? Again i respect everybodys point of view and not looking for arguments ,just help from my corvette brothers
Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
iNdigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Billysvette,

What's the cost difference between these and standard units? That right there should be all you need to make the decision.

I think it's been clearly pointed out that adding grease zerks opens up the possibility of user error in overapplying grease and blowing out the seals. That said, if you think you've got the skills to avoid said rear bearing seal catastrophe, then this would be a non-issue for you. So then it comes back down to cost.

There are a lot of aftermarket parts available for our cars. Some more popular than others. Asking about a specific aftermarket part will usually get you at least some response from the forum. However, not everyone checks this forum on a daily basis. So don't be surprised if you don't get an immediate answer to your question.

Ultimately, though, the only person who can decide whether or not you need a specific part for your vehicle... is you.

the blonde weasel
Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes sir,i will be spending some good coin on this and i really needed some help in deciding.
I think you've got your expectations too high.

Standard bearing assemblies have a greasing interval of 40K miles. Greasing them more often than that will not yield positive results until both the test sample(s) and the control sample(s) have exceeded that interval.

Being that most owners don't have a clue about the last time their bearings were replaced/greased, you cannot establish the credibility of the control group. Part of the cause is the low annual mileage put on these cars compounded by the frequency of purchase and sale. In other words, mtce. history is lost at time of transfer.

Another contributor is the fact that the 40K interval is not the finite life of all bearings- it's simply a recommended 'low ball' mtce interval which presumes that the majority of average bearings subjected to poor or reasonable conditions will survive the interval. There's many examples of high mileage cars (some getting close to 70K miles and up) where the bearings are still fine despite never having been serviced. This variation in field experience makes it difficult to see any trend in a slightly modified product.

The combined scatter in field life, low utilization and lack of mtce traceability to accreditate any sample means that you would spend a lifetime trying to collect enough data to see if there's a difference.

My guess is that a carefully cared for semi retired C3 used for only a few thousand miles a year would go for three human lifetimes of ownership before anything showed up.

Quick Reply: rear spindles with grease fittings