C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear spindles with grease fittings

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default rear spindles with grease fittings

Does anybody here have these rear spindles that have grease fittings in them,from THE SPINDLE PEOPLE company? Are they any good,or not worth messing with ? Seems to me they would be great if they work.It would be good if you could grease it yourself and not have to take things apart to do it.what do you guys think?Ive been meaning to ask this for a while now and keep forgetting about it.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The consensus I've found on this forum, on both the C2 and C3 sides is to stay away from those grease fittings. There's too big a chance of adding too much grease when you're servicing the spindles and blowing out the seals.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

I was thinking they must be alright because they look to be a nice size business and they are still selling them and seems they are selling or they would stop making them.I dont know,somebody on here must have them.I logged onto their website,www.thespindlepeople.com.

Last edited by Billysvette; 02-20-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:09 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

properly rebuilt and setup rear bearings are greased for life. No need to add grease if done correctly. I've ended up plugging supports that come in for this reason.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
properly rebuilt and setup rear bearings are greased for life. No need to add grease if done correctly. I've ended up plugging supports that come in for this reason.
Pat attention to Gary, I have had mine on there for some 15 years now, and 150k miles...stilll smooth as silk.....

Old 02-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

I understand what you guys are saying and i search this subject also,there is no real evidence about these spindles,theres just people saying the grease fitting spindle is no good and wont work ,but no body has any experience with the product talked about.do you know what im tring to say,i dont mean to make anybody mad,but does anybody have evidence to support what they believe.then you can make a good judgement on whether to buy them or not.I respect everybody on here so please tell me why ,ive heard the theories that some have but there is no concrete evidence about the spindles, just what they think.I would not want anybody on here to do what i said unless i had experience with what im telling you.Again im not tring to cause any trouble ,just want to understand why with real world evidence. What makes me think is that the company is still selling them,for years now and they have not stop making them because of nobody buying them ,because of being a bad product.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes, I purchased and installed the units from the Spindle People in 1982 and have never had a problem.
If you have ever had a rear wheel bearing failure, its ugly! I think I have re-greased them perhaps twice since they have been installed. I recommend them. No worries from then on.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:50 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Nothing lasts forever........Mine failed....and I replaced them with the Spindle People Units
Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by babbah
Yes, I purchased and installed the units from the Spindle People in 1982 and have never had a problem.
If you have ever had a rear wheel bearing failure, its ugly! I think I have re-greased them perhaps twice since they have been installed. I recommend them. No worries from then on.
Thanks so much,this is what i mean, some real evidence about the product Anybody have a bad experience with this product?I think this would be some valuable info for all of us if we can nail this down about the spindles .Its really important to me.anymore info? there isnt much info on this website about this.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

You're talking about spindles with grease fittings? Drilling a spindle will weaken it.

I'd go with the bearing housings with the installed grease fittings.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by turtlevette
You're talking about spindles with grease fittings? Drilling a spindle will weaken it.

I'd go with the bearing housings with the installed grease fittings.
Bearing housing is what its about.From the spindle people company
Old 02-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

I cant believe theres not much known about these on here.If the product works,it will be very good for all of us
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
Nothing lasts forever........Mine failed....and I replaced them with the Spindle People Units
Absolutely correct, I should have said greased for the life of the bearings which should be 80-100k miles.

I have no contact with the spindle people so can't say anything about them or their work.

I've seen several supports tapped with various zerks or pipe fittings and always plugged them up. If over-greased then the seals will pop out.add to this a lot of places are using cheap seals to cut cost.

Same with those bearing grease tools seen in every catalog, I've found the inner bearings loaded with replacement grease but nothing past the shims. I still stand by not using zerks of any type but it comes down to the owner/buyer to make a decision. I'm more concerned with correct setup and machining the mating parts to fit. There are a lot of rebuilders doing these, not all are the same as with most things these days.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billysvette
I cant believe theres not much known about these on here.If the product works,it will be very good for all of us
Ummm....not so much. My originals went 300k miles and 30 years. If you buy quality parts, there's no need to grease them once they're installed. I'll change them again at 600k miles - just routine maintenance.

I think you found a solution to something that isn't really a problem...
Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z-man
Ummm....not so much. My originals went 300k miles and 30 years. If you buy quality parts, there's no need to grease them once they're installed. I'll change them again at 600k miles - just routine maintenance.

I think you found a solution to something that isn't really a problem...
But thats just it,everything is chinese parts,you never know.But i just wanted to know if the grease fitting spindles are any good,are they worth buying,are there any problems with the product.Some of you guys say you will never have to change them if you put quality parts in and get the tolerences right,but there are some that go bad and maybe this grease fitting spindle is a really good product.I respect what you guys are saying but again i want to find out any info on these spindles,mine are old and maybe i might go with the grease fitting spindles ,if that is they are a good product .
Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

so if you are talking about the drilled bearing housings....you keep saying spindles......i don't see how it could hurt. I wouldn't put any grease in them for at least 10 years as the grease starts to dry up.

The newer synthetic grease doesn't dry up.

when you do put grease in i would only do a few pumps at a time to give the seals time to pressure equalize. if you pump a bunch in at once you'll blow the seals out like Gary said.

bottom line be very sparing with the grease.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Billysvette
But thats just it,everything is chinese parts,you never know.But i just wanted to know if the grease fitting spindles are any good,are they worth buying,are there any problems with the product.Some of you guys say you will never have to change them if you put quality parts in and get the tolerences right,but there are some that go bad and maybe this grease fitting spindle is a really good product.I respect what you guys are saying but again i want to find out any info on these spindles,mine are old and maybe i might go with the grease fitting spindles ,if that is they are a good product .
Look at it this way:

Properly set up bearings in good condition only need greasing at intervals of 30,000 miles or more depending who you talk to.

Greasing them more often has no benefit and has the potential drawback of overdoing it with too much grease.

Greasing them at the prescribed interval also carries the risk of over greasing them, but now introduces the risk of under greasing them. How would you know?

Just take them apart every 30K miles and do it right.

These bubba placebo fixes always have a drawback.

Get notified of new replies

To rear spindles with grease fittings

Old 02-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Look at it this way:

Properly set up bearings in good condition only need greasing at intervals of 30,000 miles or more depending who you talk to.

Greasing them more often has no benefit and has the potential drawback of overdoing it with too much grease.

Greasing them at the prescribed interval also carries the risk of over greasing them, but now introduces the risk of under greasing them. How would you know?

Just take them apart every 30K miles and do it right.

These bubba placebo fixes always have a drawback.
Yes,but there is NO info to say this product is bad,NONE yet.It is just the ideas of people on what they think,and thats it ,no conclusive evidence to support anybodies thoughts,just a positive about the product from a person who actually bought it and says it works great for him.I am really surprised that more people havent tried them.there is not damming evidence.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Agreed, but the only way these products could be 'bad' would be through the misuse of the owner by over- or under- greasing their bearings.

Not many people have the habit of advertising their own incompetence.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:55 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Not many people have the habit of advertising their own incompetence.
More true words will not be found anywhere! Only my opinion but zerks in bearing supports are a toss-up .. yea or nay I dunno ... but the lack of advertising one's own incompetence is absolutely dead on.

Quick Reply: rear spindles with grease fittings