C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 Pan Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:03 PM
iNdigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TH400 Pan Recommendation?

Can someone recommend an oil pan for the TH400 that will actually work with the Corvette shift cable bracket?

I originally had a simple stamped steel pan that worked great, until I decided to install a drain plug, which I effed up. Don't ask.

So I ordered what I thought was an improved part, with extra oil capacity, finned aluminum casting, drain plug, the works. But the shifter cable bracket wouldn't fit it.

I'm running a replacement stamped steel unit that works okay, but it leaks like a sieve.

I've been through the gamut of fixes to correct the leaking gasket -- repairing two stripped threads with helicoils, new set of ARP pan bolts, proper torquing order and fastener torque values, and it still leaks like a sieve.

Please, someone help me end my TH400 fluid leak woes!

Is there a cast aluminum pan that will work? I really feel that a cast pan would maintain the best gasket seal, as it won't flex like a stamped steel pan will. And it has to have a drain plug. That's the whole reason I got into this mess in the first place : )

cheers,

the blonde weasel
Old 02-26-2009, 02:51 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally solved my leaking TH400 tranny pan. I purchased a chrome pan from Summit, with a drain plug. I threw the bolts away and installed studs (also from Summit) and the standard gasket. No more bolts to work loose, etc. I also replaced the bolts with studs in the oil pan and used the blue Felcro gasket.
No more leaks anywhere.

Last edited by JimT; 02-26-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:54 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Derale deep pan with the cooling tubes in the bottom, works fine with the shifter cable bracket. This is on a 68.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:08 PM
2armor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the thick a** aluminum summit pan and had the same issue. Maybe that is what you have it too(?). The cable bracket will work with a little grinder/file work to flatten the side next to the pan.

Of course the pan leaked until i glued the gasket on both sides with
3M adhesive. Nice to have the drain plug and I installed a remote filter as well.

Good luck with whichever route you go.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM
dstaley
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a nickel plated GM TH400 pan- equipped with a drain plug- for less than $30 on eBay new-in-the-box.

I'd imagine that it won't leak, but it's still on my parts shelf so far. It's for my Camaro, which is in paint jail.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
smon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here with my stock pan, can't stop the leak. I was just about to start a thread about the best replacement pan and what gasket to use.

Sean
Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 PM
dstaley
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

GM knew what they were doing by using steel pans. While they were likely less expensive than aluminum cast pans, they also dent rather than break when struck by foreign objects in the road. I'd much rather have a dent in my pan than a broken pan- which I've seen countless times on hotrods, both on oil pans and on transmission pans.

Rear end covers are about the only bottom cover that I'd rather have a casting than a steel pan of some sort just because I've seen so many broken ones cripple a car instantly on a speed bump or similar road hazard.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

When I had a Turbo 400 in my 68, I used a factory deep pan from a truck. It fit fine, didn't leak & held an extra two quarts if I remember right
Old 02-27-2009, 08:49 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Rossler Transmissions used this deep steel truck pan when he built my th400. Has the drain plug, and so far (two years) no leaks.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:36 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

I also have the deeper truck pan (from Rossler's)....no leaks so far, going on 3rd year. This is a factory pan as stated above and the extended pickup is available for it.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:41 PM
iNdigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the excellent responses. I may just try ordering a new gasket and going through once more and meticulously sealing the pan up. I had considered using 3m weatherstrip adhesive as well, as I've used it with much success on many other problem areas for seals and gaskets -- e.g. lifter valley front and rear decks where they mate to the intake manifold, and on float bowl gaskets on my motorcycyles.

The hard-core GM trueists will say a tranny pan should never need gasket sealant... I figure, I've replaced the gasket 3 times already, what's the harm in giving it one more go. if the 3M adhesive does the trick, I'll be sure to come share my results.

the blonde weasel
Old 02-27-2009, 05:32 PM
willem wallace
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Part number?

Would anyone have the correct part number for this pan? If not, how about the tranny shop location, so I could inquire.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:43 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by willem wallace
Would anyone have the correct part number for this pan? If not, how about the tranny shop location, so I could inquire.
Give Carl Rossler a call....phone is listed on his website:
http://www.rosslertrans.com/

Get notified of new replies

To TH400 Pan Recommendation?

Quick Reply: TH400 Pan Recommendation?