C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AT Transmission Control (kickdown) Switch Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM
buskey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AT Transmission Control (kickdown) Switch Wiring

Hey guys, I did a search for info on this but found nothing that directly addresses my question so here goes...

Restoring my '70 LS5 Coupe and in going through the wiring before I re-install the interior (thinking ahead for once!) I found that the trans control switch is not wired in. The switch is there and the 2-wire connector is attached but only 1 wire (orange) runs down to the connector on the trans solenoid. The other wire (black/pink) runs up to the area near the carb/distributor and is not connected to anything.

The other connector on the trans solenoid is wired back into the cockpit to...wait for it......the windshield wiper switch!

I have a basic wiring diagram that has shown every wire so far but it does not show wiring for this switch.

Anyone know how the switch / solenoid is supposed to work in terms of the wiring? Positive trigger from the switch? Neg trigger from the switch? Maybe the wipers have to be on for the trans to kick down?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I don't know what you mean by "the 2-wire connector is attached but only 1 wire (orange) runs down to the connector on the trans solenoid.", but I do know that the kick-down switch and solenoid wiring is not part of the dash harness, but its part of the engine harness, you'll find two connectors in the engine harness, one is orange/tan which will go to the accelerator switch, and the other is orange/black which will go the trans. solenoid. I know thats correct for the '71s, but I believe its the same for your '70.

My engine is out so I can take some pictures for you if you want.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 PM
buskey
Intermediate

Pictures would be great, thanks. I know the trans solenoid has two connectors, just trying to figure where they connect and also the kickdown switch has two wires, trying to figure out where they go as well so I can get the switch to work as it did originally (still has the numbers matching T400 in her with a mild shift kit).

Funny that my switch has different color wires than any other I've read about - orange and black/pink. They do look factory and original but you never know I guess.

Anyone think that one of the service manuals might help me out here? The only thing I have is the factory assembly manual from YO and it does not show the transmission control switch at all, it seems to be exclusive to the manual cars.

Thanks again!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 AM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 68, the power lead to the switch hooks up to the IGN power lug in the fuse block, the other wire goes to the kickdown solonoid.

The 68 switch is adjustable on the pedal bracket and I think your switch is fixed in one position on the bracket but the hook-ups should be roughly the same.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The pink/black wire is your power feed & plugs into an ignition terminal on the fuse block
Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

This is from '71, but I believe its the same on '70.

The transmission solenoid connector, goes from the wiper connectors loom :

The accelerator switch connector, coming from the engine harness, through the firewall :

Here is how they are connected together :

Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 PM
buskey
Intermediate

Wow, thanks for all of the help guys! So basically it seems the kickdown switch routs +12v to one of the connectors on the trans solenoid, other connector goes to ground.

Now, on to wipers and horn!! Wish me luck, already pulling my hair out over the wiper wiring even after reading the many topics here.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:24 PM
buskey
Intermediate

Well, I feel pretty stupid now. When I initially followed the wiring harness from the kickdown switch to the trans, I just reached up and unplugged it from the solenoid without actually looking at the solenoid - someone at some point had run 2 wires down to the solenoid for some reason and both had a female connector attached so I assumed there were 2 connections on the solenoid. Finally squeezed under there again today and realize that there is only one connection on the solenoid, pretty straightforward.

I'm obviously a noob where the finer mechanical points are concerned but I'm learning.

Thanks again everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To AT Transmission Control (kickdown) Switch Wiring

Quick Reply: AT Transmission Control (kickdown) Switch Wiring