C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac fittings

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Default ac fittings

can teflon tape be used on AC fittings?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM
griffths
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, there should be O rings that seal the connection. A/C fittings don't seal in the same way as plumbing fittings and the pressures are too high for Teflon tape alone to seal a fitting. Also, there would be a risk of part of the Teflon tape getting inside the system and causing all sorts of trouble.

What problem are you having with your system?

Regards,

Jay
Old 03-17-2009, 02:36 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

not so much a problem as
the condensor, compressor, and drier are sitting in the garage floor. when i got the car the AC system was in the box of parts that came with it.
i guess i need to find some O rings.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 PM
griffths
Racer

You can find the o-rings at most auto parts stores but if not, most of the Corvette supply companies should have a kit that contains all of the O-rings you need for a complete system overhaul. I took a quick look at Willcox Corvette site but didn't see any listed however that doesn't mean they don't carry them. I would suggest that you start with them since they are a Supporting Vendor of this forum and really nice people to deal with.

Regards,

Jay
Old 03-17-2009, 09:34 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

AC O rings are the green ones right?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 PM
griffths
Racer

A/c O-rings can be black or green. As I understand it though, the green ones are compatible with R-12 and R-134a so definitely use the green ones if you are planning to charge your system with R-134a and I would suggest using them anyway even if you are going with R-12. That's what I am going to use in my system.

Please don't take this the wrong way but there are a lot of things that need to be done/checked to successfully rebuild and charge an A/C system that has been open for any length of time. Make sure that you ask a lot of questions here or take you car in once you have all of the pieces in place so that someone with the proper tools and knowledge can evacuate and charge your system. Without proper evacuation your system won't last very long and you will be back to square one AND have a huge bill for replacement parts.

Regards,

Jay

Last edited by griffths; 03-17-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ac fittings

Quick Reply: ac fittings