C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with balky starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
markey mark
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with balky starter

Put in a new starter when I changed the motor. At times the starter just clicks and I have to turn the ignition key off/on a few times then it starts right up. Got 12 volts at the starter when this happens so I know it's not the battery. There is no wire on the R terminal of the starter, is there supposed to be? My cars a 75 the wiring diagrams I got are for 74. Seems I had the same problem with the old starter. Every time I try to check power at the S terminal the thing cranks right up.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:48 PM
QuicheLorraine
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it a NEW new starter or a reman unit? If the latter then just exchange it for a good one. If it was NEW then perhaps the ign switch contacts aren't passing the current well or something like that? Just having 12V isnt' the whole picture.

The R wire isn't used in all situations/vehicles.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:12 PM
71coupe454
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check all your connections to make sure they are clean tight but you are going to have to check it at the time the intermittant problem accurs.. hook it up so that you can see your test light or multi meter and just keep trying it off and on till it happens.. or just replace the starter and hope for the best, people in here seem to like the mini starters from summit and the like.. good luck
Old 03-22-2009, 10:31 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by markey mark

Got 12 volts at the starter when this happens so I know it's not the battery.

Every time I try to check power at the S terminal the thing cranks right up.
12 volts at the starter doesn't really mean much. You can have 12 volts but not enough amps to turn the starter. It still could be the battery or dirty connections at the battery. You need to do a load test on the battery to really know if it's good.

How are you checking the power at the S terminal? You could have a bad solenoid. Have you tried using a remote starter? It works by applying current directly from the battery positive terminal to the S terminal. If you do that and it starts every time then the problem is not with the starter or solenoid and you will need to look elsewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with balky starter

Quick Reply: Need help with balky starter