C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 steering column rebuild?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 PM
CoreyCorvette76
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 steering column rebuild?

I just bought a 1976 vette and the steering column is a mess... all the parts are there, but i think it needs to be rebuilt. I was hoping i could find a forum of someone who already asked this question of how to rebuild it, but i didnt have too much luck. I am only 19 and i dont really have anything to compare it to, to rebuild it. Maybe some one has pictures of their rebuild or some tips on how to start. Thanks!

Last edited by CoreyCorvette76; 03-29-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a link to all the instructions.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?page_id=4

Also, your gear and rack gear are not meshed properly and the spring is not correct

Old 03-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you have a tilt column which is a nice feature, but they could be a little more expensive to rebuild if the pivot is worn or damaged. If its the original column from a 76 you should be aware that you will be limited to choice of steering wheels. If I remember correctly, GM used the same wheel that came on other GM products like the Vega and you cannot interchange other steering wheels from other year corvettes. You may want to verify before sinking big bucks into the column.

If you're on a budget and you don't care about the tilt feature you could always sell the one you have (someone may want this feature) and buy a complete standard column from a 69 - 75 corvette. I think they are a direct fit. Again you should research. As suggested above, Jim Shea's site is a great place to learn about your column.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:02 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 71406
Looks like you have a tilt column which is a nice feature, but they could be a little more expensive to rebuild if the pivot is worn or damaged. If its the original column from a 76 you should be aware that you will be limited to choice of steering wheels. If I remember correctly, GM used the same wheel that came on other GM products like the Vega and you cannot interchange other steering wheels from other year corvettes. You may want to verify before sinking big bucks into the column.

If you're on a budget and you don't care about the tilt feature you could always sell the one you have (someone may want this feature) and buy a complete standard column from a 69 - 75 corvette. I think they are a direct fit. Again you should research. As suggested above, Jim Shea's site is a great place to learn about your column.
IMO the standard columns suck. The steering wheel is too close to the driver and ingress/egress is more difficult. It's a good position for racing but for daily driving it's too retro for my taste. The later model (77+) tilt/tele columns position the wheel a few inches closer to the dash and provide a much more comfortable driving position. If you are going to the trouble of replacing the column I would try to find a later model tilt/tele.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:37 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I fail to see anything there or by the OP's description that suggests a replacement of the column.

Print out the papers and have at it.
It may well be that someone had been in there before and assembled it incorrectly, with no new parts necessary at all.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 PM
CoreyCorvette76
Heel & Toe

I will follow the instructions... i have all the pieces from the owner... they are just all scattered in a box. Appreciate the help!
Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Your pictures are worth a 1000 words. I would suggest that you try and lay out the loose parts from the box and take several pictures of them.

Also download this blowup pic of the steering column.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...owup03FE04.doc

Eventually you will need this steering wheel and horn parts pic.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...&HornParts.doc

This way we can be talking about a particular part in a particular picture and relate it to the blowups and how it goes together.

Jim
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
CoreyCorvette76
Heel & Toe

This weekend i will get at it and hopefully notice that i HAVE all of the parts... i appreciate all the help and ill keep you'll updated with success... hopefully.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:14 PM
dobroman2001
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CoreyCorvette76
This weekend i will get at it and hopefully notice that i HAVE all of the parts... i appreciate all the help and ill keep you'll updated with success... hopefully.
Here's a link that may help...

http://blog.scottsvettetalk.com/2008...n-rebuild.aspx
Old 03-30-2009, 04:40 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 71406
... If its the original column from a 76 you should be aware that you will be limited to choice of steering wheels. If I remember correctly, GM used the same wheel that came on other GM products like the Vega and you cannot interchange other steering wheels from other year corvettes. You may want to verify before sinking big bucks into the column....
Not exactly true. The '76 has a unique steering wheel, but if you swap the hub it is the same as any other 69-75 T&T column.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
dobroman2001
Racer

Originally Posted by markdtn
Not exactly true. The '76 has a unique steering wheel, but if you swap the hub it is the same as any other 69-75 T&T column.
And here's a link for that!!

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...eel%20removal/
Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dobroman2001
Where did you get the hub for that new wheel?

I went out and bought a steering wheel from a 78, not thinking at all....

And can't put it on.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
dobroman2001
Racer

Originally Posted by KevinK
Where did you get the hub for that new wheel?

I went out and bought a steering wheel from a 78, not thinking at all....

And can't put it on.

Zip #SC-413

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...lchange006.jpg

Get notified of new replies

To 76 steering column rebuild?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 76 steering column rebuild?