C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borg Warner transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 PM
my75baby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borg Warner transmission removal

Hello again all, I am about to remove my Super t10 4 speed from my 75 vette. I have some questions on how to do this. Am I correct in stating that I must remove the transmission first and then the bell housing or can they come out as one unit? Also what is the easiest method for removing the old pilot bearing?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:57 AM
bruced267
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the trans should come out first, as for the old pilot bearing I pack the hole with grease then find a peice of metal to fit snugly in the hole then pound it in and the grease will push it out
Old 04-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bruced267
Yes the trans should come out first, as for the old pilot bearing I pack the hole with grease then find a peice of metal to fit snugly in the hole then pound it in and the grease will push it out
Also remove the shifter brackets and mount brackets so the trannie will slide back further to clear the bell. Don't recall exactly, but I think you might have to rotate the trannie so it will slide back further
Good luck,
Gary
Old 04-04-2009, 01:08 PM
my75baby
Instructor

Thanks guys, and good trick to get the pilot bearing out, wouldve never thought of that, I would have tried to dig it out somehow and probably destroy the opening.. lol, also when I take off the linkage from the tranny, can i just remove the slider plates off the tranny leaving the linkage intact and just tie the whole linkage out of the way so I dont have to take the shift out of the car? is that possible?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

This will help you, I happened to have a 75' GM Service Manual so below is the procedure.
Gary

Old 04-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Quil
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I've pulled the Super T-10 out of my '75 probably a half a dozen times when I was dealing with clutch issues. It can be a bit of a PITA, so prepare thyself. Get the car as high in the air as you possibly can (obviously a lift is ideal if you have access to one). The tranny will need to rotate (I believe it was clockwise) to clear the bellhousing. I think you can leave the shifter linkage in place, but you may be better off to just remove it to get the extra room. Enjoy.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 AM
my75baby
Instructor

Default how high must the car be?

Hey Quill, how high do you need the car? I was going to lift the front end as high as it would be if it was on car ramps, maybe a little higher. Would that be high enough? and how do you lift this car without damaging it, I have been hearing horror stories about how to jack it up, I was going to lift one side at a time.. guess not?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:23 PM
TXredc3
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by my75baby
Hey Quill, how high do you need the car? I was going to lift the front end as high as it would be if it was on car ramps, maybe a little higher. Would that be high enough? and how do you lift this car without damaging it, I have been hearing horror stories about how to jack it up, I was going to lift one side at a time.. guess not?
I would lift the front high enough to put a couple jackstands at close to full height under it. Then jack the back up to get the same level. Put another set of jackstands under the back. Trust me, the higher the better. The last thing you want is for it to be a tight fit under there.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:40 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a helper it might help for the other person to see where you are binding when trying to get it free. If I remember correctly you will rotate it and move it towards the rear of the car as far as possible. Then back forward and down. You will find that there is not much room to work with at all so I would vote for removing the linkage altogether. I pulled mine up through shifter hole in the car.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Quil
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I think I had mine at just about the tallest height of the jackstands to have plenty of room...pull the tranny backwards towards the rear of the car until the input shaft clears the bellhousing, and then you'll start to rotate the trans as you bring it forward to drop it out.

As far as lifting the car, I've never had a problem jacking under the frame rails behind the front wheelwell, and putting the jackstands there. Someone else may have a better method, though.

Get notified of new replies

To Borg Warner transmission removal

Quick Reply: Borg Warner transmission removal