C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 seat belt light

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:47 AM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default 81 seat belt light

my seat belt light is always on. The buzzer sounds but goes off when I buckle the seat belt however the light stays on. What controls the light?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dburgjohn
my seat belt light is always on. The buzzer sounds but goes off when I buckle the seat belt however the light stays on. What controls the light?
There is a circuit board inside the buzzer unit that operates the light.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 AM
dburgjohn
Drifting

I actually don't care for either. If I remove the buzzer will the light go away?
Old 04-04-2009, 04:02 PM
dburgjohn
Drifting

pulled the little buzzing box. Light off and stupid sound gone, GREAT! Any downside to just leaving it off?
Old 04-04-2009, 04:22 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dburgjohn
pulled the little buzzing box. Light off and stupid sound gone, GREAT! Any downside to just leaving it off?
If we are talking about that box plugged into the fuse panel. Don't remove it entirely other things go through it. Just unplug it from the fuse panel and let it hang with the wires going to it intact.

Other things run off that box.

I have mine unplugged for a similar reason.

Jim
Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 AM
dburgjohn
Drifting

I would not really mind it if the tone was different. Hate to say it but the key in tone is missed. I wonder if I could remove the buzzer and replace it with a lower tone one that does not aggravate so?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

You can try to fix it. The problem is on the Yellow wire or black wire. Thats the one that powers the light.The way it works is power comes out of the box on the yellow and goes to the light...from the light comes a black which lopes back to the seatbelt switch then from the seat belt switch the black runs back to that unit. Its one big loop. When you plug the seat belt in you break the circuit which should turn the buzzer off and the light. Your buzzer goes off so that part is working right.

So here is what I'm guessing. That black between the light and the belt buckle is broken and grounding out. Check near the plug around the buckle. Or someone has spliced in another black for something else not realizing that it would complete the circuit for the seatbelt light causing it to stay on. Or the ground which is also black for the timer part for the light in the module is broken or badly grounded.

It could of course be the part of the circuit that controls the light in that box too. Which would mean the box is bad.

Easy way to tell. Disconnect the yellow...if you can. See if the buzzer works and not the light.

Your problem may also be in the printed circuit board for the light...but i doubt it. sometimes the plug on the back of the board twists and hits muliple grounds. Or the printed portion of the circuit board has a small break or twist and is grounding out on something.

Here is the problem with messing with this part. The alarm system runs though it and if you screw the wires up the car may not start at all.

J
Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 AM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

inside is a primative timer. it works off heat, once the little tab heats up it releases and hense the light goes off .

Get notified of new replies

To 81 seat belt light

Quick Reply: 81 seat belt light