C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrations with internal balanced 454

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 AM
nicoduc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrations with internal balanced 454

I've finished to build my 1974 454 corvette. I've bought few months ago an Elite "Ultimate Fit" Tremec Overdrive Transmission Conversion Kit for 1963-82 Corvettes.
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/El...it-Tremec.aspx

This is a kit in order to convert my corvette from auto trans to manual trans. (TKO 600)
I've bought the kit which was composed of a lot of parts .... and the flywheel (SFI approved billet steel flywheel). I would like to know if it is an external or an internal balanced flywheel. Today, i've got some trouble of vibrations with my engine/trans. These vibrations don't depend from the speed (miles) but from the speed of the engine.
There is a very important vibration which starts from 3000 trs.

I've modified my engine because the 454 is always external balanced and i've modified it when i bought an internal balanced Eagle Kit :

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

According to you, the vibration is due to the use of a damper external balanced + flywheel external balanced?

Is it possible also, that my belhousing is not very aligned with my flywheel (block)?

Thank you for your responses.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:51 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If you use internally balanced rotating assembly, then you are mandated to use a neutrally balanced damper and flywheel.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe you forgot to install a Clutch Pilot Bearing?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:20 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

If you bought the trans kit for a 454, then they probably gave you an externally balanced flywheel. Did you tell them you needed an internally balanced flywheel?

You should have bought a kit for a 427. It would have an internally balanced flywheel, like you need.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM
nicoduc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by k_moisen
Maybe you forgot to install a Clutch Pilot Bearing?
I've not forgotten the pilot bearing.

I've ordered the trans kit for a 454 chevy big block. Do you think that only the damper + flywheel can cause these vibrations?

On the damper, it is sure that it is an external balance because it is my standard damper. But i thought i could not cause any vibration because of the little circumference.

I have to balance the flywheel and the damper? The damper and the flywheel should be neutral?

Last edited by nicoduc; 04-08-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:55 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The new stuff has to be "externally" balanced, as the pieces are balanced individually. Which of the 'internally balanced' components of your original engine were removed from the system; and which components in that build were used to balance the system? If you [only] changed the flywheel and the old one was "out-of-balance" by 'X' ounce-inches, your entire 'new' system is now out-of-balance by that same amount. If you still have any components which were removed from your original build, take them to a driveshaft/balance shop, have them measured for balance, then modify your new components to match that balance amount (and angular direction). If you don't find any of the removed components to be significantly out-of-balance, something in the new setup is not right...or one of your engine-driven accessories has failed and is causing the problem.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Everything needs to be internally balanced. I bought an Eagle rotating for my last 468, and it was internal balance. Buy a balancer and ring gear for a 350/ 427 and your problems are over.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree. If you bought an internally balanced aftermarket 454 crank (all GM 454 cranks were externally balanced) and ordered a tranny swap kit for a 454, you likely have the wrong flywheel and possibly the wrong harmonic. You need both a neutrally balanced fly and harmonic. Problem solved.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
nicoduc
Intermediate

Thank you for all your responses...

I'm gonna disassemble my trans in order to balance the flywheel and the damper

Get notified of new replies

To Vibrations with internal balanced 454

Quick Reply: Vibrations with internal balanced 454