C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triangular air cleaner modification

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:44 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Triangular air cleaner modification

I posted a thread yesterday in "C3 General", called "Some new pictures of my car". Some people were interested in the modification of my air cleaner.
So here are some explanations about it :
I bought a TRANSDAPT #2294 AIR CLEANER :
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
As you can see in the description , this air cleaner is already dropped by 1 inch, but it's not enough to keep everything under a stock hood !
Of course, I could have choosen a round style air cleaner with a 2 inches dropped base, but I like the triangular shape...
The problem is, they are much more rare ! And none of them would fit directly under my stock hood !
So the idea was to cut the lip under the air cleaner, whose height is about 11/16 inch. I only kept about 1/8 inch of this lip, and then I added an aluminum ring ( metal spinning ) with small screws to reinforce the edge of the metal sheet, but keeping the exact 5"1/8 inside diameter for the carb neck. So this allows an extra drop of 9/16 inch.
This was enough to get the necessary clearance with the hood. But the two screws at the top of the fuel bowls ( fuel level adjustment ) were now hitting the base of the air cleaner a little. So I cut two holes in the base of the air cleaner, and made two more little aluminum parts in metal spinning to fill the holes ( two sort of hollow ***** ). Then I milled the choke tower to give the air more room to get inside the primary venturis.
There was one last little problem to solve : The stock TRANSDAPT wing nut was still too high, so I made a special nut in polished stainless steel ( see last picture ).

I hope the pictures will help to understand...

Before choke tower milling :

Choke tower milled :

I ordered a few days ago a KNN E-3737 air filter element ( cotton ) to replace the TRANSDAPT stock element ( paper ).

I think it should work with the TRANSDAPT body because both elements have the same length, height and thickness. KNN uses this element in his own triangular 14" air cleaner. I didn't use the KNN 60-1470 because the base was raised and not dropped like the TRANSDAPT one.

I will keep you informed and post some pictures if it fits, or not...

If anybody wants detailed pictures of the bottom of the air cleaner, ask me, it is easy to remove...

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 04-26-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:41 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Nice "fab" job. I'm impressed.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
OURSHARK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank You for the information.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
dstaley
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:33 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 73StreetRace
Choke tower milled :

You could go a little further with the milling to further clean up the venturi area. Also note that I put a "nose cone" on the step at the air cleaner stud and covered this area with a piece of shrink tubing to reduce turbulance around the stud/threads

Last edited by toddalin; 04-27-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toddalin
You could go a little further with the milling to further clean up the venturi area. Also note that I put a "nose cone" on the step at the air cleaner stud and covered this area with a piece of shrink tubing to reduce turbulance around the stud/threads

Thanks for the info Toddalin
Actually, I was thinking about it, but did not know exactly how to do it
Did you make the nose cone, or do you have a part reference if you bought it ? You can send me a PM if you want

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 04-27-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:45 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 73StreetRace
Thanks for the info Toddalin
Actually, I was thinking about it, but did not know exactly how to do it
Did you make the nose cone, or do you have a part reference if you bought it ? You can send me a PM if you want
The "nose cone" was just an aluminum "bolt" that I ground to a point and thread over the stud prior to the heat-shrink tube. Actually, I came up with the nose cone prior to coming up with the heat shrink tubing over the threads, that was carried down over the stud to the venturies. If the nose cone was left off, the heat shrink tubing would just take its own taper at the junction of the stud rather than making a step, and would accomplish pretty much the same goal of alleviating a hard-edged step that could cause turbulance.

The picture also demonstrates another "air smoothing" devise I came up with. If you look closely at the stock Corvette drop air cleaner drop base, there is a "rolled edge" with a lip and an indentation where the drop base meets the carb. This creates a potential point of turbulance. Car Craft Magazine delt with a similar situation (but not identical) and found that smoothing this transition area netted them 10 hp on one of their vehicle tests.

I used a piece of 16 gauge, outdoor, low voltage lamp cord (just one side) to make a big "O-ring" to fill in this "rolled edge" and smooth the air as it passes over the lip. Just be sure to seal it well to the base as you wouldn't want it to get sucked into the engine. I found that gasket sealer works fine to hold it in place in the "rolled edge" area of the base.

Last edited by toddalin; 04-27-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:55 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Do you know if this K&N 3 " Filetr fits the original tripower filter as well ?

I am using a L88 hood and have doubled the original foam filter in heights, so 3 " and a bit, but would love to use a K&N filter instead.

Or the paper filter element from the SUMMIT triangular filter assy ?

Rgds. Günther
Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WESCH
Hi

Do you know if this K&N 3 " Filetr fits the original tripower filter as well ?

I am using a L88 hood and have doubled the original foam filter in heights, so 3 " and a bit, but would love to use a K&N filter instead.

Or the paper filter element from the SUMMIT triangular filter assy ?

Rgds. Günther
Can't tell you yet because I don't know the exact size of the tripower filter and didn't receive the KNN too
I will post the developed length of the KNN E-3737 as soon as I get it, so you can compare it with the developed length of your own. It's easy to measure with a small rope and adhesive tape.

Thanks for the extra information, Toddalin

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 04-28-2009 at 01:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Triangular air cleaner modification

Quick Reply: Triangular air cleaner modification