C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flaming River or Ididit into a 1977?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:39 PM
77vetteLS1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaming River or Ididit into a 1977?

I haven't been on here in years. I just returned from my third deployment to Iraq and I had an awful lot of time to think about my car.
I have completed my LS1 conversion with custom headers and exhaust. Now it is time for brakes and steering enhancements.

I have purchased steeroids and I'm looking to put in a new steering column while I have the thing ripped apart. I have searched everywhere and it seems Flaming River has a column for Corvettes up to 1976. Are there any aftermarket columns that will work in a 1977? I'm not too concerned with the telescoping feature.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I am going to give you Jim Shea's opinion on this matter. Take it for what it is worth.

I really hate to see someone removing a collapsible, energy absorbing OEM steering column and replacing it with one of a rigid design. (Particularly on a vehicle that is driven on the street.)

General Motors and Saginaw Steering Gear Division spent millions of dollars designing, testing, barrier crashing, and validating original equipment, energy absorbing, collapsible steering columns. This was so the steering column and the vehicle structure working together would provide the maximum protection for the driver in a severe frontal collision. A rigid design steering column will completely defeat this design objective.

Energy absorbing steering columns were introduced for the 1967 model year on all GM passenger cars. All GM passenger car steering columns have been energy absorbing since that time.

I have no problem replacing earlier (pre 1967) GM solid shaft steering columns with the newer aftermarket rigid columns from Flaming River, Ididit, etc.

What makes the 1977 column unique is that for that one year the
Corvette had the windshield wash/wipe switch on the steering column turn signal lever.

Jim
Old 05-02-2009, 11:15 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

flaming river does make an energy absorbing column. i went with a flaming river universal unit in my 75 project and it saved me a couple hundred dollars and fits perfectly. i can see where jim is comming from on this and cant really argue the point cause i would loose.. i am running a 4 point harness in my car so i might be a little safer than if i had stock restraints but then again i might not be either. depends on what happens during a particular crash and if it gets shoved in or not. the washer wiper might be the limiting factor on getting an aftermarket column for your 77.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:54 PM
jimiscnc
Instructor

Default First

First, thank you for your service.

Secondly, my question is: What problem are you trying to solve?

I agree with the excellent info in the other posts.

Jim
Old 05-03-2009, 07:43 PM
77vetteLS1
Intermediate

Gents,
Thank you for the excellent information. The column that I have is pretty sloppy, the high beam/turn signal switch is broken, and it looks like bubba got ahold of it with a can of black spray paint. I purchased it on ebay when I was in search of a new column.

After looking at Mr. Shea's posts, I think I will referbish what I have.

What is the main culprit of two inches of slop in the steering wheel?

Thanks,
Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

If you still have all the original power steering gear on the car then I am guessing the 2 inches of slop in your steering is probably not due to the column but the control valve and steering box.

Even if your current column looks like crap, if your main intention is to get better steering your money is better spent on either getting the original steering box and steering gear rebuilt, or going for a rack and pinion conversion, or jeep steering box conversion etc etc, there are a few options (all of which vary in $$$).

Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 AM
69elky
Racer

Default column

Check post on 78 turn signal loose,,sends you to a good thread on column repairs including tilt columns.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I suggest that you go to www.corvettefaq.com
Click on Jim Shea's Steering Papers
Click on Corvette Steering Papers
Scroll down to the Tilt & Telescoping Steering Column Section
Download Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1.

The first couple pages in that paper give a series of in-vehicle tests that will help indicate what might be wrong with your T&T column.

It is true that some (or all) of the slop that you are feeling in the steering wheel could be cause by worn components elsewhere in the steering system. You need to look over the flex coupling, steering gear, linkage pivots, etc.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Flaming River or Ididit into a 1977?

Quick Reply: Flaming River or Ididit into a 1977?