C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a carburetor without emissions and I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:21 PM
css4608
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a carburetor without emissions and I have a few questions.

I have a 1979 350 with a Rochester qudrojet carburetor and an automatic tranmishion. I can’t find a model number for the carburetor but I found a sticker saying it was rebuilt in 1998 so I know it is not original. But I am assuming it is close.

I am unsure how to connect what I believe is the transmission cable to the carb. I looked for a bracket to connect it but I can’t find one. Anyone know what this bracket is called so I can find one in a catalog?

Anyone no where to connect the brake boost? The diagram I have shows it is connected to a filter but I think that was removed from the car and I can’t tell where it goes after that.

The emissions systems were removed from the car. I am trying to figure out what to do with the vacuum lines coming off the carburetor.

Two of the three on the front are connected to each other. Is that where they should go if you don’t have emissions? The third one looks like it goes to the distributor according to my diagram. The odd thing is that it is larger than the line from the distributor. This may be because I have an after market distributor. Any ideas?

On the passenger side there is a 1/8” line. Should anything be connected to this or should I cap it off?

Last what should the threaded fitting on the back of the carb base go to?

Thanks
Chris

Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Lotadoh
Instructor

Do you have a vacuum diagram? If not, it would be helpful to get one. It will show you where every line should go to and then you can see what is missing emissions wise and cap those lines. The first thing I see is that there are no lines connected to the "manifold vacuum source" right behind the carb, on the intake manifold. A diagram should show lines connected to that. If those 2 connections aren't being used anymore, you need to cap them. Any vacuum ports on the carb need to be capped if not being used. The threaded fitting on the back of the carb is another vacuum source. I believe that source is usually used for the brake booster. If its not being used, you need to cap it. I'm not real sure about the transmission cable. It possibly gets hooked to that bolt and washer underneath the throttle cable, but I don't know if it goes to any bracket first.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 PM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

The bracket you have is not the one you need for a th350 with a kick down cable. My Big block with a th400 uses that bracket with a vacuum line for downshift. My '81 has a bracket with provision for both the kick down and throttle cables. That is what you need.

As stated above, you do need to cap any unused vacuum nipples. The one on the back of the carb is for the vacuum brake booster. You can run the vacuum advance for the distributor from any source, timed or manifold. Some will say manifold will give you better performance, but it makes little difference. The line connecting two nipples is just someone's way of capping them off, and should work fine for that purpose.

God bless, Sensei
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 PM
css4608
Intermediate

I have a 1979 with a 350 in it. I am looking for an Automatic Transmission Detent Control Cable (kick down) bracket That holds the cable just before the carbarator. I have contacted several sources and all have said this part is unavalaible. I was hopeing someone with a 1979 or 1980 could post a picture of there bracket. I am trying to figure out if I can make a bracket for a 77 work since the cable is the same. Also if anyone has one they don't need let me know howmuch you want for it.

Thanks
Chris
Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Lotadoh
Instructor

How about something like this?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 PM
css4608
Intermediate

Thanks, that is just what I was looking for.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a carburetor without emissions and I have a few questions.

Quick Reply: Installing a carburetor without emissions and I have a few questions.