C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denso Iridium vs. NGK Iridium vs. Pulstar Pulse? Which Way???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:17 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Denso Iridium vs. NGK Iridium vs. Pulstar Pulse? Which Way???

Well been reading a lot of reviews on spark plugs. Been comparing the Denso Iridium vs. NGK Iridium vs. Pulstar Pulse. The Pulstars are showing most torque and HP gains with about 12-14 hp gains while the other two are about identical in results between 8-10 hp gains. However, the pulstars are about twice as expensive as the denso's. Right now I currently have the AC Rapid Fire's. Thoughts anyone??? Anyone ran any of these plugs in their's? What kind of results did you see?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:34 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I would be very skeptical of any horsepower gains that spark plug manufacturers claim, and stay with your ACs.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:37 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

rcread, these werent manufacturer claims, these were personal corvette owner gains via dyno results...have a few reviews on newer c5 models, just nothing for the c3's...
Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

There are so many factors. If your spark plugs that you have are in good shape, properly gapped and are in the appropriate heat range, then I don't think you will see a horsepower increase by switching to a different spark plug. If your spark plugs are beginning to foul, if the gap has closed or if they aren't the right heat range for your application, then you could very well see a horsepower increase by switching to new spark plugs. I think that is more a function of having a new, properly gapped spark plug than it is of using a different brand.

At least this is what I typically hear from automotive engineers.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Makes sense completely, however, the AC plugs are platinum while these other brands are iridium which claim to deliver a hotter spark and better fuel efficiency.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:00 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by rcread
There are so many factors. If your spark plugs that you have are in good shape, properly gapped and are in the appropriate heat range, then I don't think you will see a horsepower increase by switching to a different spark plug. If your spark plugs are beginning to foul, if the gap has closed or if they aren't the right heat range for your application, then you could very well see a horsepower increase by switching to new spark plugs. I think that is more a function of having a new, properly gapped spark plug than it is of using a different brand.

At least this is what I typically hear from automotive engineers.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

If you pay over two bucks for a plug your getting ripped off. You cannot beat a regular AC or Champion plug for performance. Many so called performance plugs are on the same caliber as snake oil. All my records were set with regular plugs donated by Champion or AC. Nothing out there could make my cars go any faster because if there was I would be using them, as winning isn`t everything, its the only thing....

If you buy those fancy plugs, all you did was buy into there marketing
Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by austinseanchris
Makes sense completely, however, the AC plugs are platinum while these other brands are iridium which claim to deliver a hotter spark and better fuel efficiency.
That's absolute marketing BS.

Get notified of new replies

To Denso Iridium vs. NGK Iridium vs. Pulstar Pulse? Which Way???

Quick Reply: Denso Iridium vs. NGK Iridium vs. Pulstar Pulse? Which Way???