C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is fiberglass flammable???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 05:13 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Is fiberglass flammable??? (gerry72)

Fiberglass by itself is an insulator. It's the resins and other composits that give it that oh so nice burn to the ground potential. Remember, travel without a fire extinguisher at your peril.....
I agree, altho a Corvette body may not burn like paper, it will burn! I remember seeing a kit car burn at a car show. The flames were not the color of regular "fire", they had these nice rainbow hues, so you just know the chemicals are helping the process along. Took only a couple of minutes for the thing to be melted down to the ground. The gas tank never even had a chance to go.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Injected
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is fiberglass flammable??? (Buffalo Dude)

The previous owner thought he could get a couple of extra miles out of those old noisy bearings, this happened to him on the interstate. He said he was suprised the whole thing did not go up like the other posted pictures.
Good news is I picked it up for a song. But it is a reminder to CHECK THOSE BEARINGS!!!!!

Greg
Old 02-08-2002, 09:48 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Is fiberglass flammable??? (Injected)

those vids of the flames are cool :smash:

I may be crazy... but i want one :D

Quick Reply: Is fiberglass flammable???