C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Lock Problems? Some Help maybe!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread Wilcox! When I got my 81 the locks would not move. I pulled the door panels and 1. PA had removed the lock motors and brackets, 2. the lock mechanism was caked with hard black/brown gunk.
I emptied a can of brake parts cleaner on each door lock assembly leaving a big black puddle of goo in the driveway. Everything loosened up and a little lithium spray lube has kept it working smooth. I also found used brackets for the lock motors, new motors and switches on eBay. Had to replace the connectors and re-wire grounds on both sides to get everything working.
Also one of the clips holding the lock rod in place was missing, I used a speed nut instead and its still holding after 8 months.
I completed one window guide roller replacement and waiting for the skin to grow back on my hand before I tackle the other.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettemanace
My passenger side outside door handle wont work I had panel off and not really sure. It seems to me that the rod needs adjusted but how the heck is it done ? The door handle is almost impossible to get at nuts nolding it in are so cramped . Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks, ACE
The handles are a real PITA to work on. When I painted I removed them. I don't have big hands and it was a challenge getting the nuts and rods disconnected. I was able to get a ratcheting box wrench in to loosen them then was able to spin them off with a finger. I let the nuts drop into the door and fished them out later with a magnet.
Getting it back together was a major challenge. I had to use some long nose right angle pliers to replace the rods and clips but it took multiple tries and lots of cursing. I wrapped some masking tape around the tip on my finger sticky side out and stuck the nut on it to get it on the stud and turn just enough to catch a thread Again it took multiple tries.
Good luck, maybe one of our senior members knows a simple trick!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:25 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 126 Posts

Hi Mr. Wilcox, I'm kinda new here, I bought a 82 vette about three weeks ago for my wife and the doors are giving me problems... I know this is an old thread, and none of the pics open now...I was wondering if you ever did this in a PDF file yet,and if you did, could you send me a copy at, (grampyopa@verizon.net) thank you...
Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Schro
Okay, made post earlier what caused my 72 vette doors not to unlock with key or **** once door latch was closed. I am not a mechanic, but pretty good at figuring out puzzles. Like stated earlier, when I replaced outside door hanbles, did not make adjustment to acuator rod that connects to handle. This caused the door not to unlock when closed with key or ****. I figured this out by closing door latch then locking door with door opened and door panels removed. Could not unlock with key or ****, Where the outside handle rod connects to the latch, I pushed up on this arm and then I could lock and unlock with key and **** (can not have to much down force on latch). Shortened rod 1/4 inch, worked fine from then on. The only way I could get the driver side open once it was locked (had door panels on) was to push with a screw driver on the arm that the door handle rod was connected to, had to force the door handle rod up enough to get unlocked. Very easy to check with door panel off by just pushing up on outside door actuator rod and you should be able to unlock door, Hope this helps
This has got to be the most common reason the doors get stuck locked.
Linkage adjusted too long.
There is also a weak spring in the latch that either breaks, or is too weak to push the part the door handle rod connects to back to it's original position after the door is opened so it acts like there is pressure on the door release, and will not unlock once you lock it.
In other words if the car is locked, and you hold the door handle down, it will not unlock unless the door handles are fully released. So if they are sticking, or are adjusted too long the locks will stay locked.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

After reading your message I went out and tried shortening the rod,, I can now open the door from the inside but not the outside door handle.. I think I may have a weak or broken spring in there... Now the fun part is trying to locate replacement parts... Thank you for the info... Jeff
Old 11-19-2015, 07:16 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffs82c3
I bought a 82 vette... and the doors are giving me problems... wondering if you ever did this in a PDF file...
Same here! Both doors are a major problem to lock/unlock, and the power actuators don't seem to do anything at all. Pictures please!
Old 11-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Well, this morning I took the door lock mechanism off the pass. side and I'm going to let it soak in gasoline overnight, then clean it out and spray lithium grease in it and see if that works...
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Found these,
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

This might help,
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2015, 02:27 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

When we moved the site over to the new site we lost the pictures from this thread... Let me see if I can dig those up for you on Monday, they are very helpful.

Willcox
Old 11-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

That would be great Mr. Wilcox, many thanks.... Jeff
Old 11-21-2015, 07:15 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

My pleasure... I'm out of town until Monday morning but as soon as I can I'll convert the pictures so they will show up..

-Willcox
Old 11-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hi Ernie,
About the latch, you posted this some time ago.
Is this helpful?

The following 2 users liked this post by Peterbuilt:
454Luvr (11-23-2015), Willcox Corvette (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 01:31 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Fixed...

Pete... You are amazing I can't believe you saved it...

The pictures were still on the old site, (I still have it active for just this exact reason) but to avoid a site clash we had to change the address and when that happened all the old pictures I've posted here went bye bye.. Its just a matter of me digging up the new links on the new site.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-22-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Jeffs82c3
Safety Car

Update, yesterday I pulled the locking mechanism off the pass. side, then soaked it in gas overnight... This morning I blew all of the gas out and then sprayed it with lithium grease, then I worked all of the mechanisms,then sprayed it again... Then I wiped all of the extra grease off, then installed it.. I then installed the rods and gave it a try... Works great!!! I did have to adjust the outside door opener rod a couple times... Now it's off to the drivers side,get that one done... P.S. Make sure when you soak the mechanism to use a gas proof container,I used a ice cream bucket and the gas started eating thru the plastic... Jeff
The following users liked this post:
72downunder (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 11:48 PM
72downunder
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey thanks guys. Some really helpful hints there.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 PM
MikeCarp
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locked and will not open

I discovered my door lock was half way engaged and I could not open the drivers side door. looking in between the door skin and door panel with a small flash light,
I saw the outer door lock bar was out of the tab hole, the c-clip was missing. I managed to use a narrow and long screw driver to put it back in place and I fiddled
with the lock inside the car until I can force it to move to the wide open unlock position. The locking mechanism inside the door was jammed up. I spayed
some sea foam lub and got it unstuck. Presto the door opened. now i need to remove the panel to install a new c-clip. What a PITA!

Get notified of new replies

To Door Lock Problems? Some Help maybe!

Old 06-06-2018, 05:31 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

The only problem I have with my door locks is the crappy aftermarket "omega" clip that dosen't hole the **** on very well. The aftermarket clips are too small in diameter and seem to be flimsy compared to an original. I have originals on my window cranks and there is a big difference is quality.
Surely someone can make a better clip.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:34 PM
Ian.Coombes
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have a 69 that the passenger side will not lock with the key. The **** on the inside does lock it however does not feel as free as the other door. It would be great to see the photos again or someone might be able to advise me what to look at first
Old 08-12-2020, 03:40 PM
bennybe
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Hi Ernie,
About the latch, you posted this some time ago.
Is this helpful?

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Fixed...

Pete... You are amazing I can't believe you saved it...

The pictures were still on the old site, (I still have it active for just this exact reason) but to avoid a site clash we had to change the address and when that happened all the old pictures I've posted here went bye bye.. Its just a matter of me digging up the new links on the new site.
Hi Pete and Wilcox - any chance you have these pictures still handy? I've been trying to dig them out of webarchives but haven't been able to find them yet. Really appreciate it, thanks!!

Quick Reply: Door Lock Problems? Some Help maybe!