C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help steering column

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:45 PM
killer454
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help steering column

ok i got a mess with this thing,i think i might be in over my head

heres what i got going on
1980 steering column tilt, tele

trying to get it back together was doing real good till it was time to put the big spring and horn circular contact and steering wheel locking plate.
i dont have the special tool for installing this spring and plate
put it in my press thinking i could just compress and put the key in and done(not so)

while pressing the lower shaft went up in the steering housing,so took lower bearing off and it just pulled back out by hand.(is this normal)

anybody have some advice on how to press this in far enough to get that oneway key in the shaft?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Killer454,
Call me and I can walk you through this without using a lock plate suppressor tool. I will need to know the current state of re-assemnly, mainly pertaining to the lower bearing. It will take some muscle and possibly someone to help you. I have done it with the column in the car, but if it is out, you may need some help depending on how you have it anchored.
"DUB"
704-394-5150 EST
Old 06-16-2009, 10:18 PM
killer454
Instructor

ok i finnally got that put together and seems ok

now after installing the c-clip or shaft lock retainer, the five finger plastic cap gos over the c-clip

the one single leg on this new part will not set flat on the shaft lock wheel,CAN I TRIM THIS TO FIT FLAT?

this part is called (carrier snap ring retainer) white plastic with like five fingers on it 2 2 1 the finger by itself is the one that wont go down all the way,it looks like i can trim just a very little off the lower edge and it will fit flat.

any advice on this problem
Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't forget that the shaft lock retainer also serves another function. It also insulates the large spring from contacting any metal parts (except the brass horn contacts) on the carrier.

So first of all I would think that the spring is just going to push the one single leg flat anyway. If you still must trim it, just make sure that you don't expose the shaft lock or any other metal column parts.

Jim
Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 AM
killer454
Instructor

ok decided not to trim the carrier snap ring retainer
i just installed it with that one finger not seated to see if it will be ok

everything seems to be working ok
the blinkers turn on and shutoff correctly,dimer works fine,hazard switch works fine,tilt tely works fine,as far as the problem putting that retainer key in i finally got it in by pressing the spring lock plate and cam assembly in my press and then all i had to do was take some plyers and pull up on the shaft a little bit to expose the c-clip groove a little more.wow fought that for a while before figuring that out.

i like writing my experance with everything incase sombody else is about to start the same job on their car.

i want to thank everybody that gave me some advice on this problem and i will probly be asking for help in the future,not even close on being done with this car.It sat in a field for 10 years and needs a lot of work but it is worth saving(was my first corvette ever 10 years ago)

it is funny had plans for it long time ago but then my first beutiful little girl came along and car got put in the field for longer than i relised.

thanks for the help everybody
killer454
Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Killer,
I think that you mentioned that you compressed your steering shaft into the lower bearing when you tried to use your press to compress the locking plate. FYI on a 1980 T&T steering column the steering shaft should be sticking out past the lower bearing retainer face by exactly 5.00 inches.

Jim
Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 AM
killer454
Instructor

yes i pulled it back out by hand after taking lower bearing out i will measure it to make sure it is at 5" from end of housing to end of shaft.

if it is not 5" is this going to be a problem to fix?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It seems that a lot of steering shafts collapse up into the steering column a lot easier than they come back out. I have never figured out why. You may find the a bit difficult to get it back to the original 5.0 inch length. Try not to hammer on the steering shaft to get it back out, it's not good on the column ball bearings. Just apply steady pressure to get the shaft back out.
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To need help steering column

Quick Reply: need help steering column