C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Door Rises Then Closes at Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:03 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Wiper Door Rises Then Closes at Start Up

Please skip to the end and read the most recent posts unless you really enjoy reading long posts.

Ok, I've replaced the wiper relay to get rid of the hissing sound when I shut off the engine. Took care of that but the wiper door still raised slightly then shut upon startup.

So I replaced the check valve because it passed air in both directions and now the wiper door raises all the way up then closes on startup.

I went through my Dr. Rebuild vacuum troubleshooting guide but it only mentions if the wiper door or headlight raise and close after shut down not startup.

The left headlight actuator was replaced about a year ago and the other was rebuilt around the same time.

Both headlight relays are original and all of the hoses have been replaced.

What am I missing?

With the check valve not holding vacuum I thought for sure replacing it would fix the wiper door issue instead of making it worse.

Other than that, headlights and wipers work as they should.

cc

Last edited by CCrane65; 10-21-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:12 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

The control side (small hose)is not holding vacuum.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:15 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Ok, I'll trace all of the control hoses tomorrow and see if I can find a leak.

I guess that means I may be replacing one or both headlight relays.

Thanks.

cc

Last edited by CCrane65; 06-24-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by CCrane72
Ok, I'll trace all of the control hoses tomorrow and see if I can find a leak.

I guess that means I may be replacing one or both headlight relays.

Thanks.

cc
That is one of the problems with this system is that the control circuit for the headlights is connected to the wiper control circuit so one does effect the other.
One very common leak in the wiper control circuit is the valve under the pass wiper arm.

Do 1 real quick check just to be sure the new wiper relay valve is not the problem.
With the engine running and headlights off and wipers off and wiper door down take a pair of needle nose and pinch the small control hose at the wiper relay and hold for a few seconds-if the wiper door pops up the diaphragm inside the relay is leaking.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Thanks, I try that first.

cc
Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DWncchs
That is one of the problems with this system is that the control circuit for the headlights is connected to the wiper control circuit so one does effect the other.
One very common leak in the wiper control circuit is the valve under the pass wiper arm.

Do 1 real quick check just to be sure the new wiper relay valve is not the problem.
With the engine running and headlights off and wipers off and wiper door down take a pair of needle nose and pinch the small control hose at the wiper relay and hold for a few seconds-if the wiper door pops up the diaphragm inside the relay is leaking.
Ok, tested new diaphragm and wiper door stayed shut.

I also pinched the feed to the headlight relays and it stayed shut.

I'll remove the wiper grille and test the valve there next.

cc
Old 06-25-2009, 01:27 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Didn't find anything wrong with the wiper park switch.

For the time being I'll put my old check valve back in so the door will only raise slightly then close instead of going all the way up and down.

cc
Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Didn't find anything wrong with the wiper park switch.

For the time being I'll put my old check valve back in so the door will only raise slightly then close instead of going all the way up and down.

cc
Years ago, I cut open a vacuum relay, and cut out some coils and stretched the spring....weakening it a LOT, put some silicone on the valve section to help it slide easier...put the ring back on with some RTV for good vac seal....and cured that problem....

I ran with no vac tank as it was shattered with metal fatigue....
Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

DWncchs, if I suspect the control portion of the headlight relays, how do I test that?

cc
Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

DWncchs, if I suspect the control portion of the headlight relays, how do I test that?

cc
Since your headlights go up and down we know relay is functioning.
The control on the top of the relay is just a small diaphragm and it just needs to hold vacuum. If you have a Mighty Vac gun just pump it up and watch the gauge to see that it HOLDS vacuum.
If you dont have a Vac gun then use the same test that you used on the wiper relay--- with the engine running and the headlights down with a pair of needle nose pliers pinch the small control hose about an inch away from the relay and hold---if the diaphragm is leaking internally the headlight will pop up.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Since your headlights go up and down we know relay is functioning.
The control on the top of the relay is just a small diaphragm and it just needs to hold vacuum. If you have a Mighty Vac gun just pump it up and watch the gauge to see that it HOLDS vacuum.
If you dont have a Vac gun then use the same test that you used on the wiper relay--- with the engine running and the headlights down with a pair of needle nose pliers pinch the small control hose about an inch away from the relay and hold---if the diaphragm is leaking internally the headlight will pop up.
Ok, well, it is unlikely then that the headlight relays are causing the wiper door to raise then lower when I start the car. I'll recheck the wiper relay since I didn't pinch the hose very close to the relay the first time.

Any chance the wiper solenoid is causing this? Since it is the most difficult component to get to it's probably going to be the source of the problem.

cc
Old 07-02-2009, 12:07 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Any chance the wiper solenoid is causing this?

cc
Sure its possible. Its even possible the leak is in the headlight switch or one of the pulldown bypass switches or actually anything that is on the small hose can bleed it off--the wiper door always reacts first.
In your case you can trace this backwards from the wiper vac relay using clamps until you isolate the problem. Try the pinch test on the wiper relay again and then go from there.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Sure its possible. Its even possible the leak is in the headlight switch or one of the pulldown bypass switches or actually anything that is on the small hose can bleed it off--the wiper door always reacts first.
In your case you can trace this backwards from the wiper vac relay using clamps until you isolate the problem. Try the pinch test on the wiper relay again and then go from there.
I pinched the wiper relay control line for 30 seconds and nothing happened.

So I moved into the passenger compartment and took the steering column trim plate off so I could get the override switches down then pinched the wiper door override switch control line and the door opened. I assume that is normal. That line also seems to go to the wiper solenoid but I am going by feel since I can't see up there.

Let me know if my assumptions are correct to this point. Not sure how to go about testing the wiper solenoid though.

cc
Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

I assume that is normal.
Normal if you have a LEAK between the vacuum source and the wiper relay valve. Once your system is leak free you should be able to pinch any control line and nothing will happen.

Go back out to the firewall with your pliers and find the 3 small hoses that go through into the wiper area and attach to the control valve under the right wiper arm. With the engine running pinch the red stripped hose (red stripped hose goes to center port on the control valve)on the engine side of the firewall. If the door pops up the control valve is leaking. Could be bad or misadjusted,try pushing the wiper arm down further and try the test again.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

CC

I'm watching this thread closely because I have the same problem...the wiper door opens fully and then closes on startup. The leak down is quite rapid. I've replaced everything except the tank and the headlight actuators (or seals) and the headlight relay. The tank is currently out of the car so I will test it separately.

The problem is definitely on the control side.

FR
Old 07-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi CC ad FR,
DW has been giving you THE good advice.
I found that Dr. Rebuild's Trouble Shooting Guide is worth the few $ it costs. It tells you how each component is supposed to work and how to test each component with a tool like a Mighty-Vac.
The fact that both systems are combined on the control side, as DW pointed out, makes it tough to locate a slow leak.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-02-2009, 05:42 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Thanks Alan I know you have worked on your fair share of these. Imagine how much easier this would be if GM would have separated the 2 sides and then if they would have separated the wiper control from the headlight control. But then we wouldn't have all these fun problems to solve.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Door Rises Then Closes at Start Up

Old 07-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe this is why Chevy got rid of the wiper door. I have always wondered what owners of 68-72 corvettes do if the wiper door fails when it is raining. Do they have a override switch for it like the headlights?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Carl Granquist
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Yes.

It's in that same small "cluster" beneath the steering column. If memory serves, the right **** pulled down opens the wiper door.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
Maybe this is why Chevy got rid of the wiper door. I have always wondered what owners of 68-72 corvettes do if the wiper door fails when it is raining. Do they have a override switch for it like the headlights?
Originally Posted by Carl Granquist
It's in that same small "cluster" beneath the steering column. If memory serves, the right **** pulled down opens the wiper door.
But in the case of a total vacuum failure GM put a hole with a plug in the back of the actuator that you can manually open the door.

Quick Reply: Wiper Door Rises Then Closes at Start Up