C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twin turbo c3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
ATE BALLER
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin turbo c3?

I'm about to purchase a 77 vette in great condition for an awesome price. I want to twin turbo it and was wondering what all will be involved besides the plumbing of the wastegates, turbos, intercoolers, & blow off valves? I'd like to stick with a 350 motor. I know I'm going to have to build a seperate motor and top end for it over the winter (or longer). Will I need to convert it to fuel injection? If so, is there a kit for this offered by anyone? Could I build a custom intake manifold with induvidual TBs and injector bungs? Rund the injectors off a megasquirt or something similar?

BTW, yes, I am a seasoned ricer, and I have a great deal of knowledge on turbo systems. It's kind of a passion of mine I just want to know what it will take to do it to a nice old vette!

Thanks!
-Andy
Old 07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

A boat load of money. Fuel injection would be much easier since you know the FI and computers. The rest of the drivetrain will have to be upgraded also for the extra power. There are many FI systems available for these motors just do your research and get the best one for the application. There was one done here a few years ago and he was putting out tremendous power, in the neighborhood of 1000 HP. The rest of the car had to be totally rebuilt to handle the power. This is not for everyone adn I hope you have very deep pockets to do it right. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:40 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ATE BALLER
I'm about to purchase a 77 vette in great condition for an awesome price. I want to twin turbo it and was wondering what all will be involved besides the plumbing of the wastegates, turbos, intercoolers, & blow off valves? I'd like to stick with a 350 motor. I know I'm going to have to build a seperate motor and top end for it over the winter (or longer). Will I need to convert it to fuel injection? If so, is there a kit for this offered by anyone? Could I build a custom intake manifold with induvidual TBs and injector bungs? Rund the injectors off a megasquirt or something similar?

BTW, yes, I am a seasoned ricer, and I have a great deal of knowledge on turbo systems. It's kind of a passion of mine I just want to know what it will take to do it to a nice old vette!

Thanks!
-Andy
Im doing the same thing at present

dont need fuel injection, just use a blow through carb, alot simplier using carb setup

the engine needs to be built to handle the power, need lower comp ratio, correct camshaft etc

all of your vac related items will struggle to work, ie brakes , gearbox vacuum modulator, lights, etc

the drivetrain, gearbox and diff was not built to handle big horsepower, so all that will need to be updated

the turbo conversion itself will be the cheapest bit!

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Do some searching on Gale Banks. He used to have a really slick twin turbo kit for C-3's. Not sure if he still has them.

JIM
Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just give Rod Saboury a call and he can tell you how to do it and get into the 6's with it.

His is a 63 but same principle. Money, some engineering, and a big-azz hammer.

Actually I thought of doing it with a 69 Convertible and a tube frame last year but it didn't happen. I have a Supercharged 81 (pic at the bottom) but would really like to try a Turbo setup one of these days myself. I tucked and intercooler pump behind a headlight and an air intercooler between the A/C condenser and Radiator. It's tight on the sides of the motor (see what Rod did to solve that) but you could notch the inner fender wells and open up some room for air.

Sounds like fun. Don't know where you are located but wish you were close so I could bring a hammer and help!

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vem.../photo_02.html

Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Hello, I have one of the Old Gale Banks setups I intalled around 1987. I have since modernised - restored the car. Forget about the blow threw carb FI is the only way to go. The current Gale Banks setup they offer with the Vintage air frontrunner Belt setup should drop right in. There will be Hood Clearance issues. My current setup is very simalar to what they offer now.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:42 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

http://montygwilliams.com/
Old 07-02-2009, 03:29 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Hello, I have one of the Old Gale Banks setups I intalled around 1987. I have since modernised - restored the car. Forget about the blow threw carb FI is the only way to go. The current Gale Banks setup they offer with the Vintage air frontrunner Belt setup should drop right in. There will be Hood Clearance issues. My current setup is very simalar to what they offer now.
whats the issue with a blow through carb??
Old 07-02-2009, 03:35 PM
63Nova
Racer

You will need to put in a built turbo 400, get a new driveshaft, new yokes, and will have to go to a straight axle rear, those half shafts aren't going to stand up to that.
I don't like fuel injection in terms of performance, never have, too much to go wrong with it. Too many sensors, just too much of a hassle for me.
A blow through carb would definately be the cheapest option, and much easier to tune than the FI setup.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63Nova
You will need to put in a built turbo 400, get a new driveshaft, new yokes, and will have to go to a straight axle rear, those half shafts aren't going to stand up to that.
I don't like fuel injection in terms of performance, never have, too much to go wrong with it. Too many sensors, just too much of a hassle for me.
A blow through carb would definately be the cheapest option, and much easier to tune than the FI setup.
So you're against FI because why? Too many sensors and stuff? In terms of performance what's wrong with FI? And tuning wise FI is light years beyond a carb in terms of tunability, driveability, fuel economy etc.

To The OP are you opposed to using a gen 3/4 LS based block/computer. I think that would be the ideal starting point for a V8 turbo setup. Basically I'll echo the same sticking point as others here have... $$$$$$$$$$ money money money.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 PM
gatorbcn
Racer

Originally Posted by 63Nova
Blow through carb would be less expensive, but you really need to know carbs and stay on top of the tuning. A little detonation and Kaboom!

I would go FI, but you have to have knowledge and a comfort level with it. Since he said that he is an experienced "ricer" I would think he would be more comfortable with a FI set-up.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

General motors has not produced a carburated car since 1986. A Carburator is nothing more than a controled Fuel leak. A Blow threw Carb is nothing more than a Fuel leak out of Control. I spent more time and money on my Carb on my original Banks setup than I have on my FI system. Banks Modified it, Turbo engineering Modified it, BG Modified it, I build a Custom Fuel regulator for it. It worked great on the Engine Dyno, it didn't work on the Street. My brother has a Aurora 32 valve V8 with 199k on the clock and its never had a valve cover off thanx to a ECM doing the thinking.

Get notified of new replies

To twin turbo c3?

Quick Reply: twin turbo c3?