C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Radiator - What options do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 AM
johns_vette
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 1972 Radiator - What options do I have?

I have a 72 with a 454. The car came with a new radiator support (not installed), the old rusty one was still in place (now long gone). The radiator was also ready to go. So I proceed to install the new core support, radiator, etc... Well following the forum I decided I need a fan shrould. Without thinking I purchase a big block fan shroud. I try to install this thing and find out I have a 26" radiator, not the larger 27.5".

So, I have a big block shrould, and 26" radiator and support. The support looks like a big block with the U pads. The radiator is a copper radiator.

What are my options? Can I buy a small block plastic shroud and it work with the big block fan?

Do I need to find a 27" radiator because upto 75 used the larger radiators and purchase the support too?

If you have done this already, please let me know what worked for you. As you can probably image my choices are anywhere between $200.00 and $700.00.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You have a small block support, a good aftermarket radiator like DeWitts may work or you can break the spot welds on the passenger side and reweld the lower support bracket for the correct big block radiator. I would give you $100 and a 27" support for yours if it is in excellent shape. Email me photos to zeohsix2002@yahoo.com if you want to swap for my support.

Quick Reply: 1972 Radiator - What options do I have?