C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Autosound Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 09:50 AM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Custom Autosound Feedback

To all the stereo wizards out in forum land... Can anyone provide me with some first-hand reviews of the sound quality following the installation of a Custom Autosound deck? I'm thinking of putting in a USA-6 (w/o changer) to keep the interior looking original, but could fab up a console plate and put in a cd receiver if the sound is no good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:14 AM
MacA1979
Always Shiftin'
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 201 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default Re: Custom Autosound Feedback (Matt81)

[NOTE]I am not a stereo system expert[/NOTE]

However, I did install the USA6 Custom AutoSound system in my '72. My motivation for this particular stereo was to have something in the car that produced music and still looked close to original. I didn't really care for quality of sound as long as I could hear it over the "thunder" :D of my Big Block!!

Here are some observations:
* Good fit and easy hook-up!
* Buttons are very small and difficult to see when driving.
* LED readout is almost impossible to see during the day.
* Sound quality is better than average (per my ears), but I have replacement (Alpine) front dash speakers and 6x9 speakers in the rear.
Note: My music taste is from the late 60s / early 70s, so as long as it is loud...it's good!!! :cool:

Here is a pic of mine installed in my '72:
Old 02-13-2002, 11:25 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my USA- something from CAS at the Vette Fest last Nov...cheap. I got the 60watt am-fm cassette unit just because it fit without cutting, and was all I could afford. Great features, looks good, easy install, but WAY under powered. I didn't want to start cutting up the interior so I installed Kenwood 5x7's in the top dash pad. It sound's like crap cause it's under powered and spkrs are too small, but I don't care. Hope you get the more expensive one with at least a rear spkr box... that should rock!! :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-13-2002, 11:25 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Matt81
My take on this is that the units fit OK and look OK. the tuner performance and power leave a lot to be desired along with the cassette performance. I had one for a few years and then yanked it. I installed a Blaupunkt and I've been pretty happy with it for about 10 years. Look on my website in my sig for the Stereo Install I did. You may get some tips.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:31 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I've got the Kenwood system from AutoSound in my 64. Nice fit but buttons are small and LED is hard to see in the daylight. Sound is crappy without an amp and the stock speaker sucks. I used the dual dash mount speaker from them (fits in the original location) and put two 6X9 tri-axial speakers in boxes up against the rear wall. I powered them with a 200W amp which I put in the tool well. The system will almost drown out open side pipes and your ears will suffer. :D
Old 02-13-2002, 11:51 AM
Matt81
Racer

Guys - thanks for the tips. Vettfixr - great website. Going over your install now. On the power issue of the USA-6 (25x4), I was planning on putting in Blaupunkt 4x6 3-ways in the dash and 6x9s in the rear. Do you all think the USA deck can provide enough power, or should I look for a more powerful unit? Not sure that I'm skilled enough to put in an amp just yet.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:00 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Typically lower quality units will give you peak power numbers so they sound good. Your 25 watts x 4 is probably rated that way. For a true indication of power look at the RMS rating and also see if the unit is rated to be stable at 2 ohms. Most in dash units are woefully inadequate when measured this way. Your best bet is to use it as a head unit and connect it to a decent amplifier. Since the 4 x 6 speakers in the front won't give you much bass you might want to think of a 4 way amp with a built in crossover. You can then connect the front speakers for highs and run the backs (6 x 9s) for lows. Amps like this aren't that big and you should be able to use one with a little imagination. Make sure you get one with an adjustable or selectable crossover so you can balance the sound between the front and back. Remember that it's easier to blow out a set of speakers with an underpowered amp than it is with an overpowered one. The reason for this is that once distortion sets in the sine wave of the current going to the speakers becomes clipped and the more it becomes clipped the flatter the wave is until it becomes direct current. Nothing like a shot of DC to burn up a speaker. An amp with about 50 to 75 watts RMS per channel should be more than enough. Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:39 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Custom Autosound Feedback (vettfixr)

I just installed their S1 system (secret audio). Tuner/Amp that mounts remote(not in Dash), cabled remote display/control unit (mounted in T-Top bar just above rear view mirror and cabled 6 CD changer that I put in the rear compartment (tight fit). Unit also came with IR remote, but with the display controller mounted just above the rear view mirror, I'll never need to use it.

The reason for using this system is so that I can mount 3 guages (vacuum, mechanical oil presure and air fuel/mixture) where the original stereo was. Not look for originality with this car (1980 L82 with ZZ4 power).

I think the system is 4X25 watts. I have 4x6 boston acoustic plate speakers in front (separate tweeter and low range) and polk 6x9 in the rear. The sound quality is much better than expected except for some alternator whine that I have to address. The system is very much loud enough without an AMP and great clarity.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:00 PM
john73bb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the USA-5. My opinion of their stuff is, if you don't want a radio in your car then install the Custom Autosound product. If you actually want something you can use, then cut a hole in your dash, get one of the adapter plates, and put in a DIN CD player. The Custom Autosound is, as mentioned, hard to use, hard to see the display (day or night - the display is washed out by its own backlight), and doesn't sound that great. It is underpowered. The ONLY reason I can see is to not have to cut up the console. Buy a cheap console through ebay and cut it up and save your original if you want good sound.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:46 PM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Custom Autosound Feedback (john73bb)

Check out my site for pics of my install.

I have the CA Kenwood Unit with the CD changer. The unit itself is fine, but you're going to want an amp no question. No matter how good your stereo is, if you want to remain somewhat stock you can't get really good speakers in the 4x3 size -- nothing with good bass, anway.

What I did was power the front small speakers off the deck, then used the pre-outs to a Rockford Fosgate AMP which powers my rear 6in Alpine separates. Sound is great. You don't need a lot of power to drive tweeters, so I keep the bass down on the deck to prevent distortion in the small speakers. I turn the bass control UP on the amp to get bass from the rears (and you know that bass doesn't care where it comes from, it fills the whole compartment). I get compliments on my stereo all the time, it's totally stock look, and the only space I loose is in the jack compartment where I have my AMP and CD changer. And yes, I can turn it up REALLY loud. It's not "thumpin", but it sounds really good.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:18 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a good in dash CD player with all new speakers.....however I would like to increase bass....I was wondering if the Amplified Woofer Bazooka Speakers would provide the strong soilid bass I'm looking for.....Anyone try these type of amplified woofer speakers?.....Are they worth the purchase price? :seeya Cappy
Old 02-13-2002, 07:24 PM
71stingraybigblock
Racer

Hey Matt81,
I bought this exact stereo not long ago. I regret it!! The quality of this unit is poor to average. If you want to keep the original look I would keep a stock stereo in place and mount a quality aftermarket unit that has a remote in the back. Possibly in a speaker box w/ a set of nice speakers. The dash will remain stock, but the sound will not.

Old 02-13-2002, 08:12 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Custom Autosound Feedback (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Hi Cappy
I installed the amplified Bazooka and it works fairly well. You're not going to get the super deep bass of a pair of 12 inchers and you can't play it at ear shattering levels but it provides a nice bottom end for the 4 x 6s in the front. You should hook it up via an equalizer or crossover network. Take a look at my website to see how I did it.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:54 AM
Matt81
Racer

Once again, you guys have proven how much this forum rocks! Thanks for all the tips and feedback. I have a Pioneer CD receiver in my commuter that I really like the sound from, so when I got home last night I popped off the faceplate and checked to see how a similar one would look in the 81. New age technology, meet classic style. Think it will look ok. Of course, now Vettfixr has given me the bug to also put in an amp, crossover, and sub. Will it never end?! :rolleyes: Matt
Old 02-14-2002, 06:40 PM
John's Shark
Racer

Agree with everyone else on the display. I have a USA 6. Like the way it looks. Sound is ok, but the display is horrible. Forget about seeing it in the daytime,and have a flashlight and mangnifying glass to see it at night. I can't believe they actually continue to make it this way! . Also, the location of the CD changer cable in the back of the unit extended the unit a bit too far. I have a difficult time wedging it into the opening on my 71 roadster.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:41 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

I also have a brand new USA-6. If anyone wants it... I'll let it go best offer. I installed it and drove around with it for a month before I found an original AC Delco for my 78'. It's in perfect condition. Email me if interested.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:14 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this guy out, he does solid state conversions on old muscle car radios. Lets you keep the look of the original with really good sound.

http://www.westechradio.com

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Autosound Feedback

Old 02-14-2002, 11:37 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Custom Autosound Feedback (dman535)

dman535 - Thanks for the tip. I want to have my original radio upgraded, and the only service I have located to date is over $300 through Ecklers.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:13 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Custom Autosound Feedback (vettfixr)

vettfixr,
Thanks for the info.....I'll give them a try.....I was thinking of installing 8" tube on the back wall between the rear speakers..... :seeya Cappy
Old 02-15-2002, 08:32 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Custom Autosound Feedback (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Cappy, you should have no problem with the fastback style. You will have to mount the Bazooka so it fires into a corner for the best sound. If you have the room and you want more bass you can run a pair of them, one in each corner. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Custom Autosound Feedback