C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head light switch removal

Old 07-13-2009, 11:52 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default head light switch removal

Hi guys..........It seems my elec problem has come down to the head light switch. so what is the easy way to remove it? 1981.......thanks again...bryan.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 AM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drop the steering column from the dash, not pull it out. Pull all the screws that hold the drivers side dash, and tip it out from the top.

Well, that's how I have to do my 69. I don't know how much yours differs from mine. I've done it a few times now. Buy a great, not just good, but a great headlight switch.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I did the one on my 80 a while back and all I did is take off the small panel below the steering colum , if you have AC remove that pipe it attaches right there on the right of the colum and detaches from the right vent, reach up with your right hand , and there is a small spring loaded button you need to find, turn the switch on and push that little button and the light buttom will come out .Unscrew the nut and pull it out , then disconnect the wire plug , it's sounds hard but if you have the new switch just look at the spring button, it is keyed so it only goes in one way. Let us know how you make out, Ron
Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 AM
GunPowder
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

can be done without to much effort - provided you have small hands

Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GunPowder
can be done without to much effort - provided you have small hands

The service for my model year (79) calls to remove the two screws on the left side of the dash panel and pull it forward as well. I am going to have to change my light and dimmer switch. I'm sure it will be a pita.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had the headlight on my '80 in and out several times, including last weekend. I didn't do anything with the steering column or dash. I just removed the air duct and can reach the switch directly.

The first step is to disconnect the ground cable on your battery.
Remove the drivers seat so you can lay on your back and look up under the dash.
Disconnect your vacuum lines from the switch. (I don't have vacuum lines on my switch.) Then find the little spring loaded metal **** shaft release button by the vacuum connectors. (The arrow points to the button which is really on the bottom of the switch. The switch is upside down on the right.)

Pull the **** out as though you were turning your headlights on and press the button to release the shaft from the switch.

Use a small screw driver in the slots of the headlight switch nut to remove the nut from the switch.

Unplug the headlight connector block from the top of the switch.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Default switch........removal.

thanks guys for the info. I freaked when i saw the dash coming rearward. Im going to go under the dash as mn discribed first. taking the seat out is a great idea as well. You guys replace these things frequently? gm' gotta get a better idea.......I just ordered one from an e-bay vender for $46 new......delivered. Let you know in a couple of days.......thanks.........bryan.:s eeya
Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ramair_bryan
thanks guys for the info. I freaked when i saw the dash coming rearward. Im going to go under the dash as mn discribed first. taking the seat out is a great idea as well. You guys replace these things frequently? gm' gotta get a better idea.......I just ordered one from an e-bay vender for $46 new......delivered. Let you know in a couple of days.......thanks.........bryan.:s eeya
No, I don't replace the switch frequently. I replaced mine when I switched from vacuum to electric actuators. I had an electrical problem last weekend and removed the switch to check what was hot when. (Problem was an inline fuse I forgot about.) I also removed the switch for another in-dash electrical problem.

BTW, you may get by without removing the seat if you have a mirror and treble light on the floor to find the shaft button and see how to remove the connector block. You will definitely need to remove the air duct to get your hand up from the bottom. Pay attention to how it comes out and reverse the sequence when re-installing it.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:51 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Default head light switch arrived.......

I'm going out to change the switch....., cover me....
Old 07-17-2009, 11:09 PM
GS977
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

where can i get a new headlight switch for my 82? its acting up.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:45 AM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GS977
where can i get a new headlight switch for my 82? its acting up.
Hi.......got mine on e-bay for cheep.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:24 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the dash redesign, 80-81-82, the switch was accessible from below- just like a normal car.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:03 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Default Battery shorted.......

...........Ok....I'm dumb.........you guys arn't going to beleive this one. So all the tests and advice I got ( not you guys, guys I know). said the reason the big red wire on the alt burned (fuse link) was because I charged the battery @15 a for 4 hrs (took a nap, A viable excuse) All things pointed to a bad light switch.......okay I replaced it easly. how ever, connecting the bat term still smoked the link. One guy said, (not you guys, guy. I know) .........check battery for a short +.......- . so i did. It is now backwards from -........+. know wonder it burns the alt fuse link. God I'm dumb. I'm going to switch batterys with the camaro and see if it's all good.........You may be reading about me in the paper.......film at eleven...,,,,,bubba (not my real name). Hey running man......Did you go on the cruise to monterey with the rest?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:54 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you reversed your battery, you may have allot of problems in the future. doesn't a 81 have a computer? i don't know the level of protections they designed into the car for this possibility, but it may not run.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 AM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Default smoked.

Yea..........burned the ign mod in the dist as well. All else seems to operate ok. I'll give it a bath and buff it . red fades so fast around here. But this new buffer is so much better than the old one I was using.......Way faster settings and lighter too. .......back later........bryan.

Get notified of new replies

To head light switch removal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: head light switch removal