C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil vaoltag #'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Coil voltage #'s

Can anyone confirm that this is correct for me?

I have a 72 with breaker points ignition system. And this is what I have oberved, and want to confirm that this is normal.

With ignition key just in the 'on' position
When everything is hooked up, + side of coil shows 6 volts.
When resistor wire, and wire from started removed from coil, that terminal shows 12 volts.
Negative side of coil shows 0 volts.
The coil gets hot to the touch - this concerns me.

When the car is running
Positive side of the coil shows 10 volts. I thought that the higher voltage should only be when starting. The voltage goes up when starting, and stays there even after the car is running.
Negative side of coil shows 6 volts.

I guess my main concerns are, when the key is in the 'ON' position, should the resistor wire show 12 volts? And, should the coil get hot with the ignition on? And, should the voltage on the positive side of the coil drop back down after the car is running?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by Mashman; 07-16-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:19 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you removed the resistor wire and tested it unhooked from the coil ?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Have you removed the resistor wire and tested it unhooked from the coil ?
Yes, it has 12 volts when the ignition is on.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by Mashman
Can anyone confirm that this is correct for me?

I have a 72 with breaker points ignition system. And this is what I have oberved, and want to confirm that this is normal.

With ignition key just in the 'on' position
When everything is hooked up, + side of coil shows 6 volts. With the points closed, that's correct.When resistor wire, and wire from started removed from coil, that terminal shows 12 volts. That's correct, too, assuming you're talking about the harness terminal, not the coil terminal.
Negative side of coil shows 0 volts. Correct, as the points are closed and there is no positive connection anywhere.The coil gets hot to the touch - this concerns me. How hot? Realize that when everything is hooked up, and the key is on, that there is probably about four amps going through the coil. At six volts across the coil (as you measured earlier) that is 6V X 4A = 24Watts. That will warm things up.
When the car is running
Positive side of the coil shows 10 volts. I thought that the higher voltage should only be when starting. The voltage goes up when starting, and stays there even after the car is running. You're not going to get an accurate voltage with a voltmeter when the engine is running, but look at it this way. When the points are closed, you'll get 6 volts, as you did before. When the points open, you'll get 12 volts, just the same as when you disconnected the wires. The points are opening and closing, meaning that the current is flowing and stopping. Your voltmeter can't keep up, and it's just giving you a rough average of the changing instantaneous voltages.Negative side of coil shows 6 volts. Yes again, for a similar reason as above. When the points are closed, the voltage will be zero. When the points open the voltage jumps to a couple hundred volts for a brief moment, then settles down to 12 volts. Your voltmeter is just giving you a rough average voltage again.

I guess my main concerns are, when the key is in the 'ON' position, should the resistor wire show 12 volts? Yes, with the wire disconnected or with the points open. And, should the coil get hot with the ignition on? It'll get warm, for the reason stated above. And, should the voltage on the positive side of the coil drop back down after the car is running? It's constantly bouncing around, but your meter will give you a reading slightly less that 12 volts. Remember, it's not an accurate reading if done with a voltmeter while the engine is running.
Thanks,
Matt
Hope that made sense.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 69427
Hope that made sense.
Yes!

Thanks you so much!

I would say the heat generated by the coil when the ignition is on - I can leave my hand on it, but would call it hot - kind of like the bottom of my laptop when it's been running for a while. I'll get an ir temp reading later.

This all came about because I started to have an issue where after the car was warmed up, it would start to idle a bit rough, and would stall when left in gear and stopped at a light.

I found the vacuum advance had a leak, and replaced it. The problem persisted, and I figured maybe the coil was going bad - replaced both the coil, and the capacitor in the distributor. The problem went away, and the car now runs great - but I was afraid that there was a continuing problem that would cause the new coil/capacitor go bad also, or something worse.

So, if everything looks normal, I will just assume that there was nothing that 'caused' the coil/capacitor to go bad, it just did.

Get notified of new replies

To Coil vaoltag #'s

Quick Reply: Coil vaoltag #'s