C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crane Cams Points Conversion Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
94hokies
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crane Cams Points Conversion Install

Finally getting around to posting some of the recent work. So for this thread, here is the install of the Crane Cams XR-i module. After looking at both the Pertronix and Crane Cams solutions, they appeared to be pretty similar with forum opinions on both sides. Since I was already placing an order with Summit, I grabbed the Crane setup as it was only $70 and included the limiter at that price. From Summit it is: Crane Cams 750-1710 - Crane XR-i Points-To-Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits

They also recommended swapping out the coil and wires and since the car has been sitting idle for well over 10 years now, I went ahead with the recommendation of the Crane PS20 Coil and ACCEL 5043K - ACCEL SuperStock Spiral Core 5000 Series Spark Plug Wire Sets. The wires do not have the 90 degree angle at the distributor connections and I am worried about clearance, but hood is not on to check. I have a message back to summit confirming their recommendation for my car.

So for the installation, it went pretty smooth and the kit contained everything that I needed. I was hoping to pull it off without taking out the dist, but since they provide a new grommet for the wire exit out of the housing that has a bigger hole to account for the extra size from the wire shielding, it looks like removal is required.

Once the wiring is threaded through the housing, you use the supplied grease and mounting screws to loosely mount the electronic component to the mounting plate. I made the mistake of tightening the screw, but then in another step you have to position the component as close as possible the shaft and I had to loosen the allen head screws to adjust.

Now for the only gripe, they provide a clamp for the wiring that goes where the points capacitor goes but the screw was so long it hit the housing before snugging up. I just cut the screw off shorter and moved on.

I did not trust the previous dist installation anyway, so I just finished up the Crane install, popped off the valve cover and gave a quick swag at timing and for the first time in a decade the ole girl came to life.

In working on setting up the coil, I found that the ignition harness has been butchered to death so I just put in an order for a new one since I'm pulling the engine to put in the new TKO600 that arrived yesterday.

Hope this helps someone else thinking about the install. I never heard it run with the points, so will not be able to comment on the difference, but wanted to say that is was a very easy swap from a technical difficulty level. The DocRebuild wiring diagram was also essential in determining that the current harness was in rough shape.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:08 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

excellent tech. with pic's, cranes a good unit
Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 PM
superdave269
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep us posted as I could never make up my mind if this conversion is a good thing to do or not. I have good and bad reviews so I would like to know how it works out for you.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM
94hokies
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on the spark plug wires. Contacted Summit to let them know about my concerns on the straight vs 90 degree connections and was told that there was no problem sending back the ACCEL 5043K - ACCEL SuperStock Spiral Core 5000 Series and they would send me out a set of MSD Ignition 5561 - MSD Street Fire with no return fees since their on-line support recommended the Accel set. So far great dealing with Summit.

Get notified of new replies

To Crane Cams Points Conversion Install

Quick Reply: Crane Cams Points Conversion Install